Please Help Me Choose Which Harmony

DeepDiver

Established Member
Reaction score
I have read some of the posts but am still confused.

My Equipment
Panasonic TH-42PZ70 TV
Denon 1910 Amp
Sky HD Box
PS3 Console (for games & dvd/bluray)
Wife Friendly LOL

I am looking at the following. (I do realise I need a PS3 adapter)
Harmony® One Advanced Universal Remote - (EU Plug) at £69

Logitech UK - Harmony® 900 Universal Remote Control at £137

Logitech UK - Bundle: Harmony 700 Adapter for PLAYSTATION3 at £116.98

I mostly watch sky so use the sky remote for TV control as well. I notice the harmony one does not have the four coloured buttons like the other two units which i guess mimick the same use as on the sky remote.

I know they will for example, Turn on my TV/AMP/PS3 but does it matter which order or once they are all turned on will it control all devices at the same time. Buy that I mean you would normally use 2 remotes. One for controlling the volume on the amp and one for controlling pause/FF/RW etc on the PS3. So I am asking if the harmony will control both amp & PS3 functions at the same time. Hope I explained that as simple as poss. Thanks for your time.

Got an old mouse so think I can get 20% discount on the 700 or 900 trade in?

Hi,

The harmony one at the current much reduced price would be just the job for you. It works exactly as you hope, when you press the activity i.e use ps3 on tv, it will turn on all components (ps3,amp,tv) switch to the appropriate inputs and then will control the amp for volume and the ps3 for play/pause etc.
When setting up the remote on the pc it goes through the setup step by step. what devices to turn on, which controls volume etc.

The 4 coloured buttons for sky use on the harmony one will be on the top touch screen part of the remote

Hope this helps

Yes, the One would be my choice also.
As Benrudd1 says it does have the colour commands, on virtual screen buttons, but if you prefer them on hard buttons you can have them also or instead on spare hard buttons of your choice.
Any model except the 200 and 300 would be satisfactory though, and you can shop around to find the PS3 adapter at lower prices than the recommended http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/remotes/accessories/devices/5732.
The 900 is intended for use with devices that are not in line of sight, and that doesn't apply in your case,

Last edited:
Ok can I ask as I pressume the 'one' would suit me also...
Samsung LCD, sky hd amstrad, onkyo sound system/amp.

How do I programme the amstrad hd box, looked for the model number in the sky menus and was R003.047.25.00P .... The website for setting equipment didn't recognise my model of sky box? What do I do?
Should I be looking on the actual box itself for a different model no?
Just want to be sure before I order the 'one' and this is the only thing bugging me a little. Tnx

Yes, it would be fine.
All Sky PVRs use the same command set so there's no problem at all about setting them up into any Harmony.
You select the device type PVR, maker Sky, and it comes up with the default model DRX-890 that covers them all.
HTH - Logi

Last edited:
You're welcome - come back if any questions arise - Logi

I agree with the guys here. Harmony One would be perfect - and at that price - its a bargain. As mentioned the colour buttons are calibated to the lcd display (of which you can have several pages) . Volume wise, you can use the same lcd display or you can use the arrow up/down in the centre of the Harmony.

All Harmonys have a hard toggle up/down button for volume, and the spare up/down toggle on the One is an additional useful feature.

I have to say that the 700 would be my choice.

I honestly don't think I could live without physical coloured buttons. While I appreciate they can be programmed onto logical buttons or 'spare' hard buttons, scrolling pages while trying to use the Sky planner, for example, would be a pain. I don't think using spare buttons can be classified as 'wife friendly' either - my missus certainly wouldn't tolerate it. :laugh:

Quite why Logitech left them off the One still perplexes me.

As a current 700 owner, I'm probably slightly biased though! :)

How do the colour commands come into scrolling through pages of the Sky Planner?

Hi Logi,

I mean scrolling through the screens of options on the remote. I have Sky HD, On Demand, Sky Planner etc as 'soft' buttons on the display. If I had to represent the coloured buttons as well, there would be navigation required between the screens to get to all the configured items.

In my opinion, hard coloured buttons are essential and I think Logitech are nuts for not including them in their flagship consumer level remote. But then, that's just my opinion!

Ah, got you now.:smashin:
What are the actual commands on those screen buttons, and what problem do you find in using the side arrows to go from one page of the screen to another?

Hi Logi,

When scanning through the Sky Planner, if you want to series link or remove programmes, you use the coloured buttons. Having to locate them on the screen of the remote just doesn't work for me. Sky also uses the 'Remind Me' green button that we use often - doesn't work if you have to hunt for the button via the remote soft button screens.

My new Samsung SMART TV also uses the coloured buttons for different areas of functionality and, again, I don't want to have to hunt for them on the soft button screens.

Admit it - you want the buttons. Be honest now, it's Christmas and Santa will bring you coal if you lie! ;)

:laugh::clap:
Hi, and I have to ask, why not have the colour commands on the first screen and avoid the scrolling?;)
After that I admit that I don't use the screen - I have the colours on hard buttons and they work fine.
I know which they are but some people have simply put a dab of colour on theirs to identify them.
The same applies to my Sammy STV but again there's an admission - I use the 900 more than the others.

Last edited:
Well, I have my Logitech Harmony One Advanced on its way to me :clap:

I have one question. Whats the best way to set it up. I believe there are a couple of ways with logitech, is this correct. TIA :smashin:

DeepDiver said:
Well, I have my Logitech Harmony One Advanced on its way to me :clap:

I have one question. Whats the best way to set it up. I believe there are a couple of ways with logitech, is this correct. TIA :smashin:

Download the harmony software it has a bigger database than the online version. I just set mine up and it took about 30mins just fine tuning now with quick channels and all my activities

Lee

They've always thrown the word "Advanced" around without it meaning anything at all, and now they're using it only about the 700 and 1100, and it still means nothing!
They have the One+ that is identical to the One except that instead of the normal setup procedure it can use the much inferior web site - there's nothing + about that!
So, that's the answer - stick to the program that comes with it.
As Re-I says it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to set it up.

So, that's the answer - stick to the program that comes with it.
As Re-I says it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to set it up.

Well I now have my Harmony One & PS3 Adapter up and running using the software from the supplied CD which updated to the latest version automatically. All I can say is "BLOOMINGLY MARVELLOUS" :clap:

Should of done it earlier. Highly recomend. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom