1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me choose the speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by denden, Dec 2, 2004.

1. denden

denden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

this is my first time here, also, I am buying my first "serious" audio :) ...I decided to buy Denon AVR-1905, and for the start, since stereo is more important to me than HT, I decided to buy front speakers..Later, with this Denon I will be able to upgrade the system to HT. Now, please, since I have no experiance, help me choose between KEF CODA 90, MONITOR AUDIO BRONZE B4, JAMO E-670 or INFINITY PRIMA 250 speakers. What are advantages or disadvantages with those speakers? Mainly I listen R`N`R and POP music. Is there some other speaker with similar price like those I mentioned. Also, Denon has 8ohms impedance and some of mentioned speaker have 6ohms (MA and JAMO) - is this a problem and if it is what should I do?

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Denden,
    The only speakers i've listened to are the MA bronze and the Jamo's.
    I quite liked the Jamo's but they didn't seem to have the same definition as the MA series. But then I like the detailed (Slightly bright?) sound of the MA's.
    One thing I would say is unless you room is quite big you would get a lot more speaker for your money with a Standmount. They have less drivers and they are of better quality than a floorstander for the same money. You could, when you are ready to upgrade, use these as rear speakers?
    Good standmounts that might suit you: something from Quad or again MA silver series?

The only way to be sure is to demo the speakers. Preferably in your own home. All we can do here is recommend, but your ears are different from everyone elses so it's down to you at the end of the day.

As for the 8ohms impedence, don't worry.
    An amp rated at 8ohms will be able to put (i.e.)
    200w into 8ohms
    100w into 4ohms
    150w into 6ohms
    All it means is a slightly harder drive for the amp. Nothing to worry about.
    HTH

3. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    AE EVO1 + AE EVO Compact + AE EVO center.
    Great match with a friend's 2105 :thumbsup:

4. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You must listen to the Wharfedale diamond 9.1s which have just come out. They are superb. Also check out the B&W 601S3s.

5. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Did you check their efficiency :confused: For a Denon 1905 ? :nono:

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    Whereas my view is that they are not as good as the Monitor Audio's which sound excellent and have a useful amount of extra sensitivity.

7. denden

denden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

thank you very much, I think you are right - have to take a receiver and ask for demo. I like this kind of "problems" :)