Please help me choose the right tv for my use

SpanyeWest

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to read this, its going to be a fairly lengthy post so apologies in advance. I've posted this in Reddit as well but figure here would actually be better so I've just copied it over. Theres going to be a lot of questions but any help at all would be massively appreciated.

Im currently looking to upgrade my 2 year old 50 inch samsung MU6120. I should also add that I am based in the UK so my options are somewhat limited with budget tvs. Im looking to upgrade to a 65 inch tv and my budget was originally around £1000 (although I realise I may have to spend more to get something im really happy with and im willing to do so if I really have to).

My current uses vary, however the bulk of what I watch is 4k/HDR movies and shows via Netflix/Amazon, 4k and Bluray discs, soon to be Disney+ when that releases here, as well as a solid amount of console gaming on my Xbox One X (I do intend to upgrade to the Xbox Series X eventually but thats not released for a while). Sometimes I watch SDR content through the Sky Go app but the quality is poor on that at the best of times. I also watch some sport (football and NFL). HDR films/shows and Gaming are my main uses though.

Now, everything I watch is via the Xbox, I never use the built in tv apps and I'd rather not (maybe im lazy). This is also because I run everything through my Onkyo 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos speakers/av receiver. The Xbox has a Dolby App which enables the atmos through various apps such as netflix as well as some games. The Dolby app can also enable Dolby Vision on apps like netflix however this only works with compatible tvs - would dolby vision running through the xbox differ from dolby vision handled directly from the tvs apps? Ive heard horror stories of dolby vision looking too dark with some tvs, is this down to the processing power of the tv and could this be fixed using the xbox instead?

When possible I like to watch my films in pitch darkeness, I have a dimmer in the room so I tend to judge it based on content or how im feeling. There would be some bright room viewing but nothing too bright and the tv wouldnt really be affected by a window as I keep the blinds down when the tv is on for the most part.

I went to currys to see some of the tvs but becuase none of them are really calibrated (all are just set to max brightness according to the salesman) its hard to gauge what looks best.

I had a look at the Sony XG950 which looked decent but the dolby vision he showed me on The Witcher on Netflix looked a little washed out (definitely not too dark though) and less vibrant than when it was turned off. Would this be the case with all dolby vision content? Is it just trying to show the content as close to the creators intention as possible? In addition ive seen a lot of complaints about blooming with the sony XG950, particularly with hdr content bleeding into the black bars or with subtitles, is this a huge issue or does it look significantly worse on youtube videos? This tv is currently around the £1,400 mark.

Other TVs im considering are the Samsung QLEDs, ive read on here to avoid anything below a Q70R. Coincidentally there's currently a deal at Richer Sounds for the 65 inch at £1,200 with a free HW-R450 soundbar worth £250 (I would sell this due to my current atmos setup). I've heard black crush is an issue but I quess I already get that with my current samsung and it hasnt really been an issue. I kind of like the idea of the colours popping too (but not to the point of it looking super fake) but the lack of dolby vision is concerning (however I would only want dolby vision if it was benefiting my picture/colour, not hindering it). The salesman at currys said its not worth getting anything below a Q80R, is this true or just sales talk? Another concern is the recent blooming issues ive heard about in game mode, can this be turned off? How bad is it really? Coincidentally Richer Sounds are running a similar deal for the Q80R for £1,400 with the HW-R450 soundbar (again i would sell the soundbar though). Is the Q80R worth an extra £200 over the Q70R? and are these good deals without the soundbars if I miss those promotions? How much would I miss dolby vision?

Another tv ive looked at, the Panasonic GX800B. This has good reviews across the board and has dolby vision and hdr10+. However, these reviews never state the quality of the dolby vision, more that its good that it has it. Reviews also state its not as vibrant as other models and the salesman in currys almost immediately warned me off Panasonics - are they really that bad? This TV seems to be the cheapest of the lot coming in at £1,150 (although the Q70R would be cheaper after selling soundbar and Q80R would be close).

Finally, OLEDs. My room would have a very max viewing distance of around 11.5ft/3.5m but currently my sofa is moved closer to the tv to make the tv appear bigger when watching. I could get a 55inch LG OLED for the same prices as one of the other 65 inches, maybe even cheaper (LG B9 and C9 range from £1,050-£1,300). I could stretch it to a 65 B9 at £1700 but that would require partial payment then financing and I'd kind of be stretching myself. The infinite blacks and hdmi 2.1 are very appealing to me but the fear of burn in is currently real given my gaming or if I leave the tv on pause when cooking. would I regret getting a 55inch at my viewing distance? Ideally 65 is the goal here but i want quality as well. I emailed LG about burn in and they said they couldnt guarantee replacements but it would be revied on a case by case basis. Very.co.uk also said they will likely cover burn in with their paid for extended warranty (I need to call to confirm this). Ive heard OLEDs make movies look outstanding though to the point where ive seen posts about it being so good its ruined cinemas for some people.

Finally offers, are these as low as these units will go or should I be waiting a month or so to purchase? Richer Sounds has a price match option for about a month after purchase I think where they refund the difference.

Thank you very much for reading my essay, if you've made it this far then you are amazing. Any input at all would be fantastic. I realise ive asked a lot of questions and im maybe asking for too much given my pricing. I also welcome any other TV suggestions you may have.

TLDR: I guess what im asking is which would the best tv be for my needs (hdr films, gaming), which are the best value (Sony XG950, Samsung Q70/80R, Panasonic TX800B, LG B9/C9) and how running everything through my Atmos av receiver and xbox one x would affect things if at all.

If you are a gamer, because of the state of HDMI 2.1 on other TVs there really is only one clear option for you and that would be the 65" B9. Dolby Vision implementation on the LG OLEDs is better than that on Sony TVs.

Salesman in Currys talk crap - best avoid taking any advice from somewhere that doesn't offer independent advice. Salesmen are salesmen, but getting independent advice would be better at somewhere like Richer Sounds or a similar local AV store than an outfit that lets TV manufacturer sales reps roam the floor.

At a very minimum what you say is correct, you do need to consider at least TVs like the Samsung Q70R or Sony XF9005 for HDR usage. You will get too many issues with HDR going cheaper.

Alternatives to the LG B9 OLED would be more expensive, but perhaps worth the extra in some circumstances. Worth nothing that last year the B8 dropped in price to £1500 so it may be wise to wait for the B9 to follow suit, or perhaps pick up the C9 or another OLED with a similar discount.

The C9 offers a more up to date chipset with better picture processing. Side by side against the B9 a layman would not notice any difference, but there are small differences, especially how the C9 chipset will handle a 4k 120hz source compared to the B9, which can be beneficial in the future.

The Panasonic GZ950 is another alternative, this is hands down the best TV you can buy for video content, but it lacks HDMI 2.1 features like the LGs. Worth considering if you value video accuracy/processing more than anything else.

And lastly the outside options would be from Philips. The OLED754 is their rival to the cheaper LG B9 and also comes with Dolby Vision support. Like the Panasonic it lacks any HDMI 2.1 hardware but it does have better picture processing than the LG B9, so may be worth considering if you value video quality over gaming.

Regarding built in apps, you will probably want to start using them instead of the ones on the Xbox in the future, especially where HDR is concerned. You are far more likely to come across firmware issues playing back content via the Xbox than you will direct on the TV. Not that it won't work or be impressive, but when people have compared the quality of UHD Blu-Rays and streams through Xbox compared to either direct on the TV or a designated Blu-Ray spinner it has been quite poor, with chroma subsampling in particular being an issue with the console. To be expected when the Xbox is a jack of all trades and not a designated device.

Regarding Dolby Vision/HDR horror stories. - This comes from using HDR on TVs without capable HDR hardware. More rarely it can come because there are some poorly mastered HDR titles out there. Disney+ for instance has the entire Star Wars film collection and Mandalorian in HDR but its broken, simply because they were lazy and just quickly converted SDR to HDR without properly mastering. Nonetheless most of the talk you hear about this online is people buying any TV and discovering that despite it showing HDR on the box, it's not a 'true' HDR TV.

If you are looking for the closest image to true director's intent the Panasonic GZ950 is suited best, but the LGs and Philips are not far behind. Dolby Vision is tuned on these TVs by Dolby Themselves, but Panasonic seem to have gone extra lengths with their picture processing to make sure everything is as close to intended as possible.

Regarding LCD TV alternatives:

The Samsung Q80R is generally not worth the money compared to the Q70R. Its best to consider the Q70R or the Q85R if you decide to go the LCD route. Dolby Vision support isn't integral to HDR looking good on these TVs. If you play Dolby Vision content on these all that will happen is the TV will process the static HDR10 layer. HDR is very impressive on these TVs much the same as OLEDs...and whilst Dolby Vision support would be nice, it's not 'needed'. What Samsung models struggle with is picture accuracy in HDR mode. They do not follow the correct standards to display HDR video without deviating, even after pro calibration.

Sony XG9505 - Generally this is similar to the Samsung Q80R in overall picture quality, it however does come with Dolby Vision HDR support and it doesn't deviate from picture accuracy much the same as the Samsung models do, so perhaps a better option if you do decide to go for an LCD TV.

Panasonic GX800 - This is not in the same ballpark as any of these TVs. The reason you don't hear much about HDR is because the TV doesn't include any HDR hardware. The only thing this TV has going for it compared to other budget models is it can compress HDR data a lot better to its limitations of low peak brightness and lack of local dimming. It however is very, very expensive to be considered a budget TV, so I have no idea really why it gets such great reviews. If it was cheaper than it was maybe, but when you can pick up true HDR TVs like the Sony XF9005 or Samsung Q70R for not much extra it really is a terrible option.

EDIT# see: HMDI 2.1 Specification – What Matters for Gaming - (2020 Update) for info on why HDMI 2.1 can be important for gaming.

If you are a gamer, because of the state of HDMI 2.1 on other TVs there really is only one clear option for you and that would be the 65" B9. Dolby Vision implementation on the LG OLEDs is better than that on Sony TVs.

Salesman in Currys talk crap - best avoid taking any advice from somewhere that doesn't offer independent advice. Salesmen are salesmen, but getting independent advice would be better at somewhere like Richer Sounds or a similar local AV store than an outfit that lets TV manufacturer sales reps roam the floor.

At a very minimum what you say is correct, you do need to consider at least TVs like the Samsung Q70R or Sony XF9005 for HDR usage. You will get too many issues with HDR going cheaper.

Alternatives to the LG B9 OLED would be more expensive, but perhaps worth the extra in some circumstances. Worth nothing that last year the B8 dropped in price to £1500 so it may be wise to wait for the B9 to follow suit, or perhaps pick up the C9 or another OLED with a similar discount.

The C9 offers a more up to date chipset with better picture processing. Side by side against the B9 a layman would not notice any difference, but there are small differences, especially how the C9 chipset will handle a 4k 120hz source compared to the B9, which can be beneficial in the future.

The Panasonic GZ950 is another alternative, this is hands down the best TV you can buy for video content, but it lacks HDMI 2.1 features like the LGs. Worth considering if you value video accuracy/processing more than anything else.

And lastly the outside options would be from Philips. The OLED754 is their rival to the cheaper LG B9 and also comes with Dolby Vision support. Like the Panasonic it lacks any HDMI 2.1 hardware but it does have better picture processing than the LG B9, so may be worth considering if you value video quality over gaming.

Regarding built in apps, you will probably want to start using them instead of the ones on the Xbox in the future, especially where HDR is concerned. You are far more likely to come across firmware issues playing back content via the Xbox than you will direct on the TV. Not that it won't work or be impressive, but when people have compared the quality of UHD Blu-Rays and streams through Xbox compared to either direct on the TV or a designated Blu-Ray spinner it has been quite poor, with chroma subsampling in particular being an issue with the console. To be expected when the Xbox is a jack of all trades and not a designated device.

Regarding Dolby Vision/HDR horror stories. - This comes from using HDR on TVs without capable HDR hardware. More rarely it can come because there are some poorly mastered HDR titles out there. Disney+ for instance has the entire Star Wars film collection and Mandalorian in HDR but its broken, simply because they were lazy and just quickly converted SDR to HDR without properly mastering. Nonetheless most of the talk you hear about this online is people buying any TV and discovering that despite it showing HDR on the box, it's not a 'true' HDR TV.

If you are looking for the closest image to true director's intent the Panasonic GZ950 is suited best, but the LGs and Philips are not far behind. Dolby Vision is tuned on these TVs by Dolby Themselves, but Panasonic seem to have gone extra lengths with their picture processing to make sure everything is as close to intended as possible.

Regarding LCD TV alternatives:

The Samsung Q80R is generally not worth the money compared to the Q70R. Its best to consider the Q70R or the Q85R if you decide to go the LCD route. Dolby Vision support isn't integral to HDR looking good on these TVs. If you play Dolby Vision content on these all that will happen is the TV will process the static HDR10 layer. HDR is very impressive on these TVs much the same as OLEDs...and whilst Dolby Vision support would be nice, it's not 'needed'. What Samsung models struggle with is picture accuracy in HDR mode. They do not follow the correct standards to display HDR video without deviating, even after pro calibration.

Sony XG9505 - Generally this is similar to the Samsung Q80R in overall picture quality, it however does come with Dolby Vision HDR support and it doesn't deviate from picture accuracy much the same as the Samsung models do, so perhaps a better option if you do decide to go for an LCD TV.

Panasonic GX800 - This is not in the same ballpark as any of these TVs. The reason you don't hear much about HDR is because the TV doesn't include any HDR hardware. The only thing this TV has going for it compared to other budget models is it can compress HDR data a lot better to its limitations of low peak brightness and lack of local dimming. It however is very, very expensive to be considered a budget TV, so I have no idea really why it gets such great reviews. If it was cheaper than it was maybe, but when you can pick up true HDR TVs like the Sony XF9005 or Samsung Q70R for not much extra it really is a terrible option.

EDIT# see: HMDI 2.1 Specification – What Matters for Gaming - (2020 Update) for info on why HDMI 2.1 can be important for gaming.

Thank you Dodgexander for that massively detailed response. You've went above and beyond what I expected to hear back and you've given me a lot to think about.

I have a few follow-up questions if that's alright.

I hadn't even considered a Panasonic OLED but I'm now going to research more into the GZ950. With a quick search though it seems it will cost £2000 for the 65 inch, do you see this dropping in price much anytime in the next couple of months? Despite not having HDMI 2.1 do you think this would be missed much? The gaming I do is in no way competitive, I play a lot of Destiny 2 (MMORPG FPS) with my friends and then RPGs/Story driven games by myself. Does the tv at least offer eArc? Would you say at £2000 the Panasonic is better than the c9 at £1800? I would be very interested in having my films and shows as close to directors intent over a few less ms input lag or 120fps (will many games even reach that capability anytime soon?). Is this Panasonic capable of outputting Dolby Atmos from it's built in apps like netflix? (I'm not really sure how it works as I've always done it through the Xbox). Also when you spoke of video accuracy/processing was this to the benefit of the Panasonic over the LG or vice versa? Are there any slightly older Panasonic OLEDs that can hang with the lg b9/c9? Sorry there's just so much information to consider haha.

Is there a difference in longevity between different OLED brands? Are some more susceptible to burn in than others?

Regarding the Sony XG950, my main stumbling block was the blooming issues, have you noticed this when watching films etc? I can be quite picky at times and have been known to zone in on faults/imperfections - but that's probably more fault of my own than whatever product I'm using ha. Given what you've said though, at £1,400 it might be worth just biting the bullet and paying a little bit extra to be happier in the long run.

I think I'm going to avoid the Samsung Q80R then due to the price, the main appeal with that and the Q70R were the soundbars that come included in the deal to then sell on and lower the price for myself a little. I am still considering the Q70R though based on price. Given that the Q70R is almost half the price of the the Panasonic and the LG C9, would you say they are worth the significant increase in cost? Have you heard of or noticed much blooming while the Q70R is in game mode?

As it stands now it looks like I'll be deciding between the Panasonic GZ950, the LG B9/C9 or saving some money and going with the Q70R.

Sorry for all the extra questions, I maybe got a bit carried away, but thank you again for your fantastic reply.

No worries!

I hadn't even considered a Panasonic OLED but I'm now going to research more into the GZ950. With a quick search though it seems it will cost £2000 for the 65 inch, do you see this dropping in price much anytime in the next couple of months?
I expect it will drop some yes, Panasonic will soon release their 2020 ranges which should drop the price some. Historically this is the time of year the biggest discounts hit, with new TVs replacing old stock in stores. Even if you don't find it discounted new, it is only a matter of time it appears on their official outlet: Bargain - Panasonic refurbished eBay store thread
Despite not having HDMI 2.1 do you think this would be missed much?
There's no one way to answer this. Really just depends what features you think you will value in the future and which ones you don't care about.
The main draw to HDMI 2.1 is with the Variable Refresh Rate support, but eARC could turn out to be useful in the future too.
The gaming I do is in no way competitive, I play a lot of Destiny 2 (MMORPG FPS) with my friends and then RPGs/Story driven games by myself.
Have you experienced variable refresh rate technology before? It's one of those things, once you see it, you can't go back. Although it is most beneficial in fast paced games than it is slower ones. It also works to make gaming at low frame rate a lot smoother, so if you have ever thought gaming at times has been choppy it will certainly help with that. Its true that no game is going to refresh at greater than 60fps on the new consoles, some maybe not above 30fps but that is the beauty of VRR, you'll benefit from it at low frame rate as well as high if you are using it with a TV that supports VRR at 120hz like the LG OLEDs.
Does the tv at least offer eArc?
No, the Panasonic GZ950 only supports Auto Low Latency mode.
Would you say at £2000 the Panasonic is better than the c9 at £1800?
No. Overall the LG is a much better TV. More future proof with HDMI 2.1. More future proof. It's no slouch with video content either and despite the Panasonic being the king of picture accuracy and film, I highly doubt if you bought the LG you will be wishing you had bought the Panasonic instead.
Is this Panasonic capable of outputting Dolby Atmos from it's built in apps like netflix?
Every TV is. The Atmos that is used in Netflix is not fully fledged atmos and is transmitted in a Dolby Digital Plus container and every TV supports Dolby Digital plus. eARC is only needed for Atmos if you intend to use the TV itself to switch audio content containing lossless Dolby Atmos back to your audio source. Something that basically no one will ever do unless they have a soundbar with a single HDMI port. If in the future you were to play lossless Dolby Atmos content, it would be plugged in to your receiver before the TV, so it has no significance.
Also when you spoke of video accuracy/processing was this to the benefit of the Panasonic over the LG or vice versa? Are there any slightly older Panasonic OLEDs that can hang with the lg b9/c9? Sorry there's just so much information to consider haha.
In the store I linked above they sometimes have last years models like the FZ802 and the FZ952. They lack Dolby Vision support though. You can get some really good prices from the outlet and the picture accuracy on both those TVs is still very good. But Dolby Vision support whilst not essential on an OLED is more beneficial than it is on an LCD TV.
Is there a difference in longevity between different OLED brands? Are some more susceptible to burn in than others?
Not really. Each year LG make changes to the OLED panels to try and help with longevity. Each manufacturer uses their own software to reduce the risk of burn in. Out of software feature-sets the LG models probably come out on top because they have a controllable auto-logo dimming feature that seems to work a lot better than other OLEDs. They all use the same panels each year made by LG.
Regarding the Sony XG950, my main stumbling block was the blooming issues, have you noticed this when watching films etc? I can be quite picky at times and have been known to zone in on faults/imperfections - but that's probably more fault of my own than whatever product I'm using ha. Given what you've said though, at £1,400 it might be worth just biting the bullet and paying a little bit extra to be happier in the long run.
I don't own the Sony so I can't tell you personal experience. I can tell you though owning another FALD LCD TV (Panasonic DX902) that you cannot avoid subtitle blooming completely. Having said that, it's really blown out of proportion online and I'd wager that most people don't even notice it. There's no two ways around it though, if you feel like it's something that will bother you, you should go for an OLED. Don't go the route of spending more on an LCD TV expecting it to be better, even the very best LCD TVs like the Sony ZG9 and Samsung Q950R have complaints on this forum from users complaining about blooming and those TVs have a lot better local dimming than cheaper LCD TV models. You can't get away from the fact you are always limited by the amount of zones behind the TV. Even with 500 or more zones, there is still going to be some leakage around light parts of a picture. Especially so in HDR content when the backlight is at its brightest.
I think I'm going to avoid the Samsung Q80R then due to the price, the main appeal with that and the Q70R were the soundbars that come included in the deal to then sell on and lower the price for myself a little. I am still considering the Q70R though based on price. Given that the Q70R is almost half the price of the the Panasonic and the LG C9, would you say they are worth the significant increase in cost? Have you heard of or noticed much blooming while the Q70R is in game mode?
At 65" you do pay a premium for OLEDs but I would bide your time when making a decision and track prices of a few TVs you have shortlisted. Don't judge things on the price currently, because in a week or two it could change a lot. TV pricing fluctuates so much that what can be a good buy one week is not the next, and as I mentioned above, now is around the time we start to see the biggest discounts in the shops.

Hi.
just thought I’d throw my penny worth in...
imho, given how you’ve described what’s important to you, try to stretch to an oled, unless you are really too worried about burn in.
i believe it’s the only way you will get the experiences you want for high quality films etc. and still have a great gaming experience.
as an owner of a Panasonic gz950, I can confirm that when you throw anything from good 1080p and up, the picture is incredible.
2019 oleds are more resilient to burn in, as they have added in more tech, such as the size of the red sub pixel, along with existing compensation cycles etc.
when I need a break I tend to switch the tv to something like a film with no static images, rather than pausing.
if you did decide on an oled, I would say the LG C9 would be the perfect fit, followed closely by the B9. Either would be a great fit for your film and gaming needs, now and going forward.
the Panasonic is incredible for movies etc. and actually really good for gaming now, but a lot less future proofed (I don’t game at all so it doesn’t bother me).
also, imo, the LGs come with hands down the most slick and intuitive interface in web os.
so I would personally say LG, followed by Panasonic, then Philips, and Sony.
if you did decide to go down the LCD route, I’d be looking at one of the best possible QLEDs, or Sony’s. I’d be avoiding the Panasonic GX series...

Edit: I wouldn’t recommend watching in total darkness. If those are your conditions, then I would recommend buying some quality bias lighting, (ideally D65 white point led) which can improve the viewing, but more importantly, be better for your eyes, as it stops your pupils having to make such dramatic changes...

Last edited:
Thank you Dodgexander and thedoswells, you're both making my decision a lot easier here. I was on the fence about OLED but if I'm spending that sort of cash anyway it's looking like that's the best option for longevity. Been watching a lot of video reviews as well and they really do look amazing, can only imagine they'll look even better in person.

I've never experienced VRR but Destiny 2 is certainly fast paced with lots going on at any one time. I've definitely experience screen tearing while playing that online. Even an offline game like Jedi Fallen Order I've noticed when loading into a new area the game freezes while it renders parts. Is this something VRR would fix?

Refurbished units were mentioned, are these really viable with OLEDs? I'm assuming there's more risk with these? For example I've found the LG C9 at 65 inches refurbished for £1,699 (12 month warranty) at richer sounds, but it doesn't include the 6 year guarantee. And I've also found the LG E9 for £1,799 (12 month warranty) at richer sounds, again though it doesn't include the 6 year guarantee because it's a refurb. Do these sound like a better deal than paying £1,999 for the 65C9 or £2,499 for the 65E9 brand new with the 6 year guarantee included? They're both marked as clearance items refurbished customer returns. There's mention of potential minor scratches on the unit which I'm not too worried about but no mention of the screen quality or how the units been used, easier burn in down the line my main concern. Also is there a difference between the C9 and E9 that I'm missing other than the stand and the improved sound on the E9? I'm not fussed about the TV's built in speakers because I'll be using my Atmos speakers.

Thanks again for the help!

Thank you Dodgexander and thedoswells, you're both making my decision a lot easier here. I was on the fence about OLED but if I'm spending that sort of cash anyway it's looking like that's the best option for longevity. Been watching a lot of video reviews as well and they really do look amazing, can only imagine they'll look even better in person.

I've never experienced VRR but Destiny 2 is certainly fast paced with lots going on at any one time. I've definitely experience screen tearing while playing that online. Even an offline game like Jedi Fallen Order I've noticed when loading into a new area the game freezes while it renders parts. Is this something VRR would fix?

Refurbished units were mentioned, are these really viable with OLEDs? I'm assuming there's more risk with these? For example I've found the LG C9 at 65 inches refurbished for £1,699 (12 month warranty) at richer sounds, but it doesn't include the 6 year guarantee. And I've also found the LG E9 for £1,799 (12 month warranty) at richer sounds, again though it doesn't include the 6 year guarantee because it's a refurb. Do these sound like a better deal than paying £1,999 for the 65C9 or £2,499 for the 65E9 brand new with the 6 year guarantee included? They're both marked as clearance items refurbished customer returns. There's mention of potential minor scratches on the unit which I'm not too worried about but no mention of the screen quality or how the units been used, easier burn in down the line my main concern. Also is there a difference between the C9 and E9 that I'm missing other than the stand and the improved sound on the E9? I'm not fussed about the TV's built in speakers because I'll be using my Atmos speakers.

Thanks again for the help!

I can’t really answer all these things but I’d start by saying that if any oled tv is going to give you the best gaming experience, with the least issues, it would be the LG’s with vrr in particular.
unless you really want to pay the premium for the picture on glass design, the E9 wouldn’t be worth it as you wouldn’t be using the more advanced built in sound, and the TVs are the same apart from those 2 things. The E9 is also heavier which may be a point to consider if wall mounting.
as far as refurbished goes, the chances are, if a tv goes wrong, it goes wrong early, but you never know. Comes down to you as an individual.
i would be going for a new c9 and having comfort in the 6 year warranty, but others would have very valid reasons for going with the refurbished.
im sure others would disagree with some or all of this though.
be interested to hear what you decide on...
cheers

Even an offline game like Jedi Fallen Order I've noticed when loading into a new area the game freezes while it renders parts. Is this something VRR would fix?
It won't solve freezes but it will solve slowdowns a lot better. It will reduce the stutter in games developed when a game cannot be rendered at the frame rate of the display output, outputting the matching frame rate always.
Refurbished units were mentioned, are these really viable with OLEDs?
I'm assuming there's more risk with these?
I don't think there's more risk. You still get the standard one year warranty as you do with a new product. You just don't get the extra 4-5 bonus years on top. Warranty does not cover screen burn anyway, I fail really to see why a refurbished unit is more likely to fail than a new unit...and if it did it would likely be within the 1st year.
For example I've found the LG C9 at 65 inches refurbished for £1,699 (12 month warranty) at richer sounds, but it doesn't include the 6 year guarantee. And I've also found the LG E9 for £1,799 (12 month warranty) at richer sounds, again though it doesn't include the 6 year guarantee because it's a refurb. Do these sound like a better deal than paying £1,999 for the 65C9 or £2,499 for the 65E9 brand new with the 6 year guarantee included?
I don't think Richers refurbished deals are that fantastic to be honest. I think it's likely the C9 will drop to that kind of price new before too long and the B9 has already been reduced once or twice to £1500. It makes little sense to pay extra in this instance and I think they need to reduce those prices a little.

As mentioned already the E9 really is no better than the C9 apart from the design and sound.

I would wait and monitor prices of both the B9 and C9. I'd set up price alerts and snap the B9 up if it drops beneath 1500 and the C9 beneath 1650. If it drops at one retailer, you can get a price match with another providing they also give an extended warranty. It gives you the opportunity to buy the TV from Richer/John Lewis rather than someone else if somewhere else turns out to be cheaper.

Thedoswells and dodgexander, thank you again for your replies. Sorry my response has been slower, I've been out of the country.

So I'm pretty set on the LG C9 and I'm keeping an eye out for deals pretty regularly. I also took your advice, Dodgexander, and set up some price alerts. I have seen the 65inch C9 now on 2 sites for £1729.99 and I'm close to pulling the trigger (just need to sell some other things like my previous tv first). How long do you expect the C9 to be available new for? I almost bought an RU8000 near the start of the year but then they stopped selling it in some stores and after that the price sky rocketed from what it was at - very glad I didn't buy it now though.

The site's I saw it on were THT Direct and Lands Electrical Superstore, any idea if these are any good? THT is a small business in Scotland but is part of the Euronics group. They do a 5 year warranty too so any idea if the company goes under would Euronics still honour the warranty? I spoke to richer sounds this morning briefly and they said they wouldn't price match THT because it's based in Scotland but I didn't see the other site until now so may ask again tomorrow.

Finally, thedoswells, I'll let you know once (if... Hopefully... Fingers crossed) I get it, and if not I'll be sure to update with my alternative.

Thanks again guys

Thedoswells and dodgexander, thank you again for your replies. Sorry my response has been slower, I've been out of the country.

So I'm pretty set on the LG C9 and I'm keeping an eye out for deals pretty regularly. I also took your advice, Dodgexander, and set up some price alerts. I have seen the 65inch C9 now on 2 sites for £1729.99 and I'm close to pulling the trigger (just need to sell some other things like my previous tv first). How long do you expect the C9 to be available new for? I almost bought an RU8000 near the start of the year but then they stopped selling it in some stores and after that the price sky rocketed from what it was at - very glad I didn't buy it now though.

The site's I saw it on were THT Direct and Lands Electrical Superstore, any idea if these are any good? THT is a small business in Scotland but is part of the Euronics group. They do a 5 year warranty too so any idea if the company goes under would Euronics still honour the warranty? I spoke to richer sounds this morning briefly and they said they wouldn't price match THT because it's based in Scotland but I didn't see the other site until now so may ask again tomorrow.

Finally, thedoswells, I'll let you know once (if... Hopefully... Fingers crossed) I get it, and if not I'll be sure to update with my alternative.

Thanks again guys

Something to think about is that there are reports that Corona could impact on TV production, estimated from next month, as manufacturers find it harder to source the components they need. It all may be scare mongering, but I wonder if others think there could be a risk...

wouldn't price match THT because it's based in Scotland but I didn't see the other site until now so may ask again tomorrow.
Seems a bit strange. Especially when they are part of the Euronics group.

The warranty the shop sells you won't be with the shop, it will be with a 3rd party insurance provider, probably domestic and general. You could ask them who its with before you buy.

The only problem with relying on a small business is if you want to be able to return it to the shop in the future and they no longer exist, it doesn't affect your manufacturer or extended warranty.

John Lewis also have a price match policy and a 5 year warranty, may be worth trying them. They are also pretty good.

Dodgexander and thedoswells, you guys have been awesome.

I pulled the trigger on the 65 LG C9. Called back richer sounds and a different guy price matched that deal I found. The confusion was that it was a Scottish company so they would only let you price match if you were within delivery distance of the price matched company (which I was). Got the tv for £1,729 total with the 6 year extended warranty! The price actually went back up the night I called richer sounds but they let me keep that price match the following day because it was too late to process my order then.

I am beyond excited! It was delivered today and is sitting boxed up in my living room. Unfortunately won't be able to set it up until tomorrow, but it's here waiting for me ha.

Any tips and tricks you guys could recommend or a reputable site/videos to look at? Burn in is still slightly at the back of my mind so any settings or features to help prevent this would be very beneficial. If you have any picture recommendations/settings I would love to hear them too. I've heard of having to baby/"break in" the television at the start of it's use, is this true? What would you recommend?

Gonna take your advice on using the TV's built in apps as well over the Xbox One X when possible, might take some getting used to.

Is it alright to pause an OLED? I've heard conflicting things regarding this. Am I right in saying there's a "screen off" function that will keep the tv playing in the background but just turn off the screen? So pausing should be fine as long as I use the screen off function whenever I do?

Thanks again to both of you, you made the decision of spending a little more that little bit easier

Dodgexander and thedoswells, you guys have been awesome.

I pulled the trigger on the 65 LG C9. Called back richer sounds and a different guy price matched that deal I found. The confusion was that it was a Scottish company so they would only let you price match if you were within delivery distance of the price matched company (which I was). Got the tv for £1,729 total with the 6 year extended warranty! The price actually went back up the night I called richer sounds but they let me keep that price match the following day because it was too late to process my order then.

I am beyond excited! It was delivered today and is sitting boxed up in my living room. Unfortunately won't be able to set it up until tomorrow, but it's here waiting for me ha.

Any tips and tricks you guys could recommend or a reputable site/videos to look at? Burn in is still slightly at the back of my mind so any settings or features to help prevent this would be very beneficial. If you have any picture recommendations/settings I would love to hear them too. I've heard of having to baby/"break in" the television at the start of it's use, is this true? What would you recommend?

Gonna take your advice on using the TV's built in apps as well over the Xbox One X when possible, might take some getting used to.

Is it alright to pause an OLED? I've heard conflicting things regarding this. Am I right in saying there's a "screen off" function that will keep the tv playing in the background but just turn off the screen? So pausing should be fine as long as I use the screen off function whenever I do?

Thanks again to both of you, you made the decision of spending a little more that little bit easier

congrats, that’s really going to be impressive in many ways!
i don’t have an LG oled so cant answer the specifics.
i don’t usually pause my tv for any length of time. I usually pause and then change to another input that’s playing something with no logos etc. like a film.
i don’t think you need to break the tv in, but oleds can change slightly over time. Wouldn’t worry about it.
if you want to look at some good content, I’d check out our planet on Netflix, or seven worlds one planet on the bbc.
these have a lots of greens, blues, browns and whites for the different episodes, and will give you an idea of what the tv can look like with quality content.
be interested to hear what you think.
enjoy.... :)

Ensure you never turn off the tv at the wall - they do a refresh cycle overnight. LGs have a screensaver for built in apps, but AFAIK it doesn’t work with external sources, but most external devices will have their own settings to mitigate pausing.

Rtings have settings for the tv. But don’t be afraid to tweak to your own liking.

Congratulations! The owners thread for the C9 can be found here: LG OLED C9 Owners and Discussion Thread plenty of good advice already.

No need to run the TV in beforehand or anything. There's a thread on burn in here: OLED Burn In Risk

In particular, the tests and writeups on rtings.com are useful. Pausing when via internal apps should prompt a screensaver, but not via an external source. If you are connecting a source the source will often have a screensaver built in.

There's an auto logo luminance adjustment setting you can set from low to high to reduce the risk of burn in from channel logos.

And never turn the TV off by the plug as already mentioned.

Enjoy the TV!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom