Please help me choose my first satnav...

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by martian1, Jan 15, 2008.

1. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +680
  2. andye2004

andye2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I've just ordered the NUVI 250 (Euro map version of the 200), but the Myguide model looks pretty good.

There's a review site here http://www.sciuridae.co.uk/garmin_nuvi_200_250.htm, you will find NUVI and TomTom but I couldn't find any reference to the myguide model.

3. yyith

yyith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    avoid the myguide, TT and Garmin are touch screen the myguide is too but you need to use a stylus and i know people who have had lots of problems with the software.

The Garmin is a good price at the moment, so i would proberly go with that one with the TT 1 closely behind.

/yyith

4. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +680
    Spot on m8t decided on the garmin and its very good.not perfect but hell its only £99 :thumbsup:

5. hethmar

hethmar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad I found this forum, just been dithering over buying a couple of sat navs on ebay and googled for info on them - eek, found this forum and thank goodness I havent bought them - apparently a real con.:eek:

Will have a look at the one recommended here. Many thanks.:) Where is it for £99 please?

DOH, found it - Halfords - see what you mean, so many on there! For the extra £23 would the wide screen be worth it?

6. Bristles

Bristles
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Absolutely, the longer you have to take your eyes off the road to focus the greater the risk of an accident. Anything that can be seen quickly and clearly surely must be a bonus, would you not agree?

7. hethmar

hethmar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive been looking on a site called MNC? They have the 200 on there with a free upgrade to the 250. BUT they also have the 300 which apparently speaks the names of roads, rather than "50 yds turn right". I am looking at the specs for the 200W - sorry to be thick, but I assume it does have a speech facility to tell you where to turn etc.? And would it tell me where speed cameras are etc please? Its on offer for £116

Garmin Nuvi 200W Preloaded City Navigator® NT for GB (full coverage)
    Receiver: high-sensitivity WAAS-enabled GPS receiver
    touchscreen Wide 4.3” diagonal colour display;480 x 272 pixels
    QVGA color antiglare TFT with white backlight
    Unit dimensions : 7.4H x 12.2W x 2.0D cm
    Weight : 173g
    Battery: Rechargeable lithium-ion battery, up to 5 hours of battery life depending on use
    Includes Garmin Lock™, an anti-theft feature
    Fingertip touchscreen interface
    Look up addresses and points of interest
    Choose 2D or 3D maps
    Upload custom POIs, including alerts for speed zones and safety cameras with POI Loader
    Built in Travel Kit includes picture viewer, world clock, currency and measurement converters, calculator and more
    SD card slot
    USB interface for loading data
    Please note: Like most USB Mass Storage Devices, the nüvi is not compatible with Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows Me.

8. Bristles

Bristles
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would like to make two suggestions, firstly, look here,

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=9122

Secondly, make a telephone call to Garmin UK and put all of your questions to them and hopefully when you make your purchase it will be the right choice. B.

(I have the 660FM and am more than pleased with it, I would not have any other manufacturer, they are the leaders)

9. hethmar

hethmar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks, Ive decided on the 200W - MNC have it for £116 which seems a really good buy. Im very grateful for everyones help on here.

My son is going to drive across the states in April and Ive also told him to look at MNC for the Nuvi model that covers north america.