Please help me choose either Pioneer DV444 or Toshiba SD510E

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Firefox, May 30, 2002.

1. Firefox

Firefox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    I am about to replace my current DVD player (Toshiba SD210)
    But i am torn between either the Pioneer DV444 and the Tosh SD510E ,

I would appreciate input from owners of these machines to help me come to a decision

Thanks

2. DyManiX

DyManiX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I dont know anything about the Toshiba, but having just got a Pioneer 444, I can tell you that I am VERY impressed with that.

I have a compatability problem with my TV that causes bands on RGB mode with Region 1 disks, but S-Video is fine and I cant tell the difference from normal viewing distance.

THe player has handled every disc i have thrown at so far including CDR SVCD's and VCD disks written on cheapy Jungle media.

Picture and sound quality are superb also!

3. hjls

hjls

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i got the 444 some weeks ago to replace my toshiba 2109, picture quality is not nearly as good as the toshiba. however the 2109 was better than the 210 also i believe. if you can afford it go for the 510, imho.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get the toshiba 510 for £250 it plays dvd audio has superb picture i havnt seen it for myslef but i have some magazines home cinema home entertainment what tv and video and they all rate it highly. I was also thinking about buying the 2 players you mentioned but i opted for sony 900 cost me £330.

Toshiba dvd players are known to have best picture for dvd players and i havnt heard many problems reported with toshiba players

5. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just to add to your confusion. I have recently purchased the 444 and find the picture quality excellent. When shopping for it I compared it with a Toshiba model that happened to be set up (Don't remember the model though). I thaught the 444 picture was noticeably better than the Toshiba.

I don't have much experience with DVD players but one thing I find strange about the 444 and indeed the Panasonic E20 is that the 444 has contrast, colour, sharpness adjustments etc but NO brightness adjustment.
    The Panasonic E20 has brighness but you can only increase it and not decrease. Are DVD player normally this strange in there picture adjustment options?

6. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I finally parted with some cash yesterday & bought the Tosh 510e from Richer Sounds (£250 multi/silver) very nice!
    I had a rather jaded looking Wharfey the picture on the Tosh is noticeably better; very quiet compared to the Wharfey which squeaked like an asthmatic mouse; pictures are sharper and generally richer in colour etc. the sound is also notably better with better steering and more controlled bass scenes that made my speakers fart like vegetarian are now nice and solid (so to speak) - CDs sound better to a tad brighter on the higher frequencys but still very good...I considered getting the 444 also but Progressive Scan (for a future pj) & to an extent DVDAudio - so depending what you have in store in the future I would use that to help you make up your mind both machines are considered excellent so you'll be happy with whatever you choose

cheers

berth:)

7. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Does the Toshiba 510 from Richer Sounds play RCE discs without problem?? Is the rest auto multi region (or do you have to change each region)

I really like the look of this player.

8. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Yes the one from Richer Sounds plays good old R1 Hollow Man no bother although it comes with instructions to disk swap with a non rce R1 disk which is what I did I haven't tried rce cold out the box yet..I really like this machine it plays all the glitchy disks I had ones that froze my Wharfey now are risen from their graves:)

cheers

Berth

9. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am interested to know why you replacing your current Toshiba 210 with the Pionneer 444 - I thought they were quite comparable or am I wrong on that?

I know you can get toshiba machines for less than the RRP but that's because they sell so many.:confused:

10. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    just to let you know hollow man plays fine without swapping disks...woohoo!

berth:D

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I wouldn't compare a 444 to 510, as the 510 is 40% more expensive and more like the Pioneer 545 the 444 compare very well to the 210 and 220 but the 510 is that extra price jump, with a MR 444 at £180-£170 I think it is a bargain If you want prog scan or DVD-A buy a 510 if not save £70 and buy a 444, thats a lot of DVDs or half a pronto!
    PS or a meal for the missus to make up for buying a DVD
    PPS Women tend to like the look of the 444(SORTED)!!

12. meuH

meuH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'hi all

I would like to know if some you guys owner of the toshiba 510 have noticed some weird mp3 playback with this dvd player?
    I've tried many different CD / CDRW with various mp3 in different bit rate but on many tracks I could hear some strange background noise during playback. Hard to describe in english (not my mother tongue ;) ) It's kind like a ghosting of low frequencies only which are replayed back after a short delayed (about some ms)...
    I can't find any infos about this specific problem, thus I don't know if it's my player which have a HW issue or a general misconception...
    Hope to have your input
    :)

rgds.
    meuH./

13. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I've bought both the 444 and the 510

All I can say is- -444 great pics for the money and good looks, but the 510 is way ahead,and not just on r1 progressive if you can use it. Gave my 444 to my parents.
    Nuff said

14. DyManiX

DyManiX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Is it worth selling my 444 to get a 510?

I have heard the 510 doesnt play back DVD-R/RW or DVD+R/RW disks where as my 444 apparantley does (although I havent tried it yet).

I use a lot of home made SVCD's which work great on the Pioneer, will these work on the 510 okay?

15. RossG

RossG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only tried the MP3 playback function once and admittedly I was doing other things but even so I noticed some strange noises not usually present when I play them back via the PC. It seemed fairly intermittent and I didn't have time to look into it further.

Bit of a shame but aside from this its a great DVD player IMHO

Ross