Question Please help me choose correct size screen

Sfoley1

Standard Member
Reaction score
hello.

I am really struggling in working out what size screen I need. I've downloaded ProjectorPro but can't really make sense of it.

I have just bought a Benq W1110, should arrive next week.

I intend to buy a screen that will fit on the ceiling and pull down (budget £200).

The projector will be 350cm away from the screen but could be moved closer.

Seating will be 240cm away from the screen.

The room isn't particularly dark, we have decent curtains but they are not blackout and there is street lighting outside the house.

We have a through lounge and the screen will be between the two rooms, projector will be in front of the bay window.

My assumption was that I would have to have a 100" screen but I think this is too big for the distances I need to work with.

The more I try and work it out the more I get confused, doing my head in!

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

Having recently asked a similar question I'll give you the basics.

As a very rough guide you could consider sitting between two times and three times the screen height away.

So if you need to sit 240cm away that would imply your screen height will be between 120 and 80cm depending on your personal preference.

I'm on my phone but plenty of on line calculators will tell you what screen width and diagonal that height will give you.

That just gives you an idea of screen size vs viewing distance.

Now you need to figure out if your PJ has the correct throw ratio to fill the screen from its position and whether it has enough light output to give a decent picture. The gain of your chosen screen will also play a part here.

If the pj is on the way, I would wait until it arrives, and then experiment by projecting onto the wall - that way you can see what size and height of the screen works best for you from where you sit because you can use the zoom and vary the screen size.

Once you've found a screen size that works for you, you can then buy the screen that is that size and know it should be right for you. That way you should end up with the correct screen rather than one that you think will be OK, but could end up too big or too small.

If the pj is on the way, I would wait until it arrives, and then experiment by projecting onto the wall - that way you can see what size and height of the screen works best for you from where you sit because you can use the zoom and vary the screen size.

Once you've found a screen size that works for you, you can then buy the screen that is that size and know it should be right for you. That way you should end up with the correct screen rather than one that you think will be OK, but could end up too big or too small.

Damn Gary.. What a nice advice..

image.jpg
image.jpg
All set up, thank you. If anyone else is ina similar position to me then absolutely do what Gary kindly suggested. May seem obvious but it wasn't to me at the time, got all caught up in the calculation tools.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last images which I hope are helpful. 1 with the light on for a bit of scale, retracted screen and bracket for the media shelf which can just be put in when you need it. Back to normal living room with marauding 2 and 6 year olds in moments. All in Ive spent £620 (£475 Ebay low use PJ, £110 new screen, £35 shelf).

Where did you get the shelf from please ? Looks ideal.

Master shelf. Sumo slot shelf kit
So what screen size did you opt for in the end? I sit about 3.5 meters away from a 120" screen.

92". I age area is 203 x 115cm. It's actually at the smallest image I could get from where the pj needs to be.

Really pleased with it. Looking forward to the chlorine smell going though

92". I age area is 203 x 115cm. It's actually at the smallest image I could get from where the pj needs to be.

Really pleased with it. Looking forward to the chlorine smell going though
Lol yeah the smell lasts a month or so but starts to disappear the more times you pull the screen down lol.

I'm late but lets hope that this advice doesn't came too late. I was going to say that test with sheet for a week or two because projector picture usually looks big at first but when you get used to it you want a bigger picture. Hopefully you got used to your temporary screen and don't get buyer remorse in couple of months and start to think that it could have been bigger.

For someone that is thinking of buying projector and screen I'd say that test with sheet so long that the first wow effect wears off, then it's easier to get right size at once.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom