Please help me choose a watch for my wife's 50th birthday

Mighty Chipster

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've see this watch as a potential present for my wife's birthday but a friend of ours who has a Tag watch is having no end of problems with hers and had to send it back for repair twice now (1st losing time, 2nd gaining time!).

Is the above a "good" choice or can someone recommend another watch please? I have a budget of no more than £1000.

Thanks in advance,

MC

Yes, she likes her friends one and has hinted to me that she would like a Tag

Then I think you don't need to ask us, but obviously keep the receipt just in case

P.S your wife is a lucky woman

My advice would be to take your Wife to a good jewellers and ask her to choose something as a watch can be great to one person and rubbish to the next.

At least then she gets a watch she likes and suits her. She also might change her mind about the TAG.

My advice would be to take your Wife to a good jewellers and ask her to choose something as a watch can be great to one person and rubbish to the next.

At least then she gets a watch she likes and suits her. She also might change her mind about the TAG.
Totally agree with taking her, some jewellers will allow you to book an appointment and if you give then the budget they will get a selection together for you.

Tag are good watches but its well worth her being there to 'try before you buy' sort of thing it will stop issues in the future, you know, ten years time and your having a few words and she'll come out with "Like that bloody time you blew a grand on a watch I never really liked".....its futureproofing :)

I think visit a jeweller to choose is also a good idea. I’m addition to being able to choose the right watch, it will also be a memorable event that will add to the long lasting and special nature of the gift. Maybe a nice lunch afterwards as well.

I’d definitely agree with taking your wife to a good jeweller. A friend of mine recently got a nice watch for a big birthday, and what she was looking for was totally different to what she ended up with.

She went round loads of jewellers and couldn’t make up her mind. An assistant in a small, family jeweller slightly badgered her to try on something based on her build and style rather than what was fashionable, and she was spot on. The watch itself isn‘t one I’ve seen before even though it’s from a big brand, but it’s very elegant on.

There are Tag Heuer outlets dotted around the UK, might be able to pick up a bargain.

Have a look at watches you can date - so something you can buy that is actually verifiable as being 50yo

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom