Please help me choose a TV

chrisgeary

Hi,

I've been a CRT TV user for ever. I've even had a Barco CRT projector. I like CRT and I like proper blacks. I'm considering a plasma as 28" of CRT at 10ft just isn't big enough!

I have 46" or 106cm of real estate for a TV.
It can be new or secondhand.
Must deliver good black level close to that of CRT.
No motion blur or any other nastiness.
My main sources are SD (Freesat and DVD) but I do have an HD PVR and some 720p movies.

I'm thinking 42" is probably the right size and probably not full HD at this point although its not a financial restriction.
Budget, up to £1k.

It will be located opposite a window, so ideally a non-reflective screen.

Picture quality and black level performance are at the top of the list. If it doesn't get close to CRT performance, I won't be interested.

If Panasonic's input selection is still the same as on my CRT TV, then I'd rather avoid it. It's a right faff when trying to integrate it to my Harmony remote. That said, all my sources are HDMI so would it auto-select?

Thanks!
Chris

24 P

Novice Member
Chris, bad news..

You are sticking with your CRT..
Plasmas are the only real thing that can do proper blacks, and they inherently bring along a reflective screen.
If you chose an LCD, you would be very disappointed.
Have you thought of getting a S/H 36 inch CRT to cure your fix till something better comes along?
If you can cure the lighting problem, then you maybe able to get a plasma in the house.
They are light dependent, the darker the room, the better they work.
I have an LCD and CRT both 1080 screens, the CRT wins hands down.
Sony W3100 46 Inch 1080 P, great size, good performer, Toshiba 36 Inch CRT 1080 I, small size, great performer..
CRT hands down for PQ any time..

You need to see how bad these newer techs are, when you watch how they have motion artifacts and contrast issues, you will see what I mean.

Hope this helps..

:thumbsup:

chrisgeary

I should clarify that most of my watching is done during the evening, so perhaps the window/reflectivity isn't so much of an issue. My CRT is currently reflective and whilst a PITA, I can always close the curtains.

Does that change anything?

24 P

Novice Member
It does indeed, I would be looking at the Panasonic range, G10 series, don't know if they offer a 42 inch 720 P, but that would the the way to go.. Check em out..

:)

bargainfinder

Novice Member
Panasonic TXP42X10B is 720P and should suit your needs. The G10 is not worth the extra cash about £240.

Only problem as has been highlighted is that plasmas don't work too well where there is ambient light.

My plasma is opposite windows and I have dark curtains drawn but when it's sunny the picture seems washed out and you obviously don't get full effect of the set's otherwise impressive black levels.

The reflection (your CRT might more reflective) is not so much of issue with Panasonic as it is with Samsung.

Evening viewing should be fine.

LCD do a much better job in daylight but if you want a CRT like picture then you can't go wrong with a plasma.

Freeview is very average.

DVDs upscaled should look very good but only on a 42" screen nothing larger.

HD sources will be excellent.

Yes once you power on an HDMI device the TV should switch to that input.

Even if it fails to, toggling to your chosen device using the AV button is fast.

Last edited:

chrisgeary

Thanks. Obviously I fully intend to see these things for myself, just looking for a shortlist.

So lets say you have two HDMI sources on, how does the TV (specifically but not exclusively Panasonic) choose which input to select.. is there a priority option? I ask because I have a popcorn hour that is basically always on but the PVR and Wii are only on if I want them on.

duncfunk

With regards to the tv I'd second the Panasonic X10 option. You can even get the 50" of this set for £600 now which would be a good choice for a 10ft viewing distance.

duncfunk

With regards to the tv I'd second the Panasonic X10 option. You can even get the 50" of this set for £600 now which would be a good choice for a 10ft viewing distance. I have the same viewing distance and a 42" tv, if there was room I would definitely have gone for a 50" model.

bargainfinder

Novice Member
Thanks. Obviously I fully intend to see these things for myself, just looking for a shortlist.

So lets say you have two HDMI sources on, how does the TV (specifically but not exclusively Panasonic) choose which input to select.. is there a priority option? I ask because I have a popcorn hour that is basically always on but the PVR and Wii are only on if I want them on.
Not sure as I only have 1 HDMI source, you could download the manual or ask on the pX10 owners thread.

rewerb

Novice Member

With panasonics only HDMI1 will autoswitch.

chrisgeary

I went to see a couple of TVs today. Size wise we cannot accomodate a 50" so 42" it is. I saw the Panasonic X10, G10 and S11 at various stores. For freeview SD, I couldn't tell any difference between the 720 and 1080 models. I'm wondering if there is any benefit to be had buying the 1080 model.

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
As it needs to be 37" & you view mostly SD it's got to be the X10 as the 37" G10 is LCD & at your viewing distance you would not tell any difference between 1080/720P :)

chrisgeary

It needs to be 42" but I think your comment is equally valid.

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
It needs to be 42" but I think your comment is equally valid.
Sorry just read your post again :oops: yes same applies re the distance & apparently the x10 is better at SD (although I have no complaints on my 50" V10.

24 P

Novice Member
42 inch is the bare minimum for 1080 P viewing..
Check this out...

Viewing Distance Calculator

Tables are tables, scientific waffle sometimes, the best thing can be your own judgment, which you have said yourself you can not distinguish between the 2 sets.

Go the 720 P, save some $, buy a Blu Ray player and some movies with the $ saved...

:thumbsup:

chrisgeary

Top recommendation all. I got an X10B tonight from Currys. Its better with SD than I expected and the blacks are great. I ran a few movie clips through it and I'm well impressed. I'm not regretting choosing the 720 model, this is plenty good enough for me!

Thank you all :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom