Question Please help me choose a second 1440p 27" monitor

dusf

I currently have an Acer Predator G-Sync XB270HU which I use with my GTX 970 - for gaming when I can. Next year after I can save some money, there is hopefully more supply, and the dust settles on price and best bang for buck, I would like to pick up either a RTX 3080 or 6800 XT but this may not be until the summer or even approaching Black Friday 2021. Right now I would like to pick up a second monitor to use for study, watching video tutorials on one while working on the other, and I am also starting to learn about trading so star at stock and cryptocurrency trends on Trading View 5 minute charts on both screens will be something I do a lot - I am not sure how much that should influence refresh rate, panel type, or anything else?

A big question is if I should I buy the cheapest 1440p that I can find now and if I pick up a new monitor later for the new GPU, I can either sell the budget model or set up three screens which many traders use. By waiting on investing in a new monitor in the future I should get more for my money. If I spend less now it should also mean that I would be able to sooner afford the GPU, and whatever else is required like a mobo (current is Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5) or RAM - sooner. Paying for a good G-Sync and FreeSync compatible gaming monitor now is tempting as the distance between their prices and a basic monitor decrease with Black Friday.

If I go the gaming route I was considering a Dell 27 Gaming Monitor: S2721DGFA (currently @ £485/€433/$513) or an ASUS TUF VG27AQ (currently @ £408/€456/$544).

I have found finding a basic monitor much more difficult, perhaps something like a Philips Monitor Gaming 275E1S (currently @ £186/€209/€248). Being in the Republic of Ireland I buy a lot from the UK, most products on Amazon and many other suppliers will deliver here but other do not, and if I can confirm that boxed dimensions of the following are under 72cm x 31cm x 25cm I can use a cheap mail forwarding company for €5 which would not take away from the value: AOC Q2790PQU/BT (currently @ £168/€189/$224).

For reference I have been using: Rtings 27" 1440p less than $500 (ordered by price even when not visible) and PC Part Picker UK 27" 1440p less than £510.

Requirements: Swing, tilt, and height adjust, not curved, vesa mount, minimise any eye strain
Bonus: Option to rotate into portrait

Please help!

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Do you need/want any particular width or is 1440 pixels high the only important dimension?

A 27" 16:9 viewable area is 33cm high, so no monitor of that size will be under those dimensions.

When you say you want to minimise eye strain are you looking for something particularly dim or particularly bright?

dusf

Hi, great to get some input, I have been going in circles.

I would like it to match the existing XB270HU display it will be alongside, so 2560 x 1440 @ 27" 16:9, if going for a basic model and gaming not important is there any reason to try get more than 60Hz? Obviously if going for gaming the higher the better but really I am learning toward a basic monitor, if I can find a good deal on a quality product for the money.

I do not suffer with eyestrain, though I intermittently can get migraine, as I spend long periods of time staring at the screen I just mentioned it in case there was some type of panel or feature I should avoid?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I do not suffer with eyestrain, though I intermittently can get migraine, as I spend long periods of time staring at the screen I just mentioned it in case there was some type of panel or feature I should avoid?

As far as I'm aware the most common avoidable cause of eyestrain is having the brightness too high compared with the brightness of the surroundings, or not enough screen brightness to avoid the picture being washed out in a bright room.

The low frequency flicker of [email protected] can cause issues for some people, but that's generally only found on gaming monitors and as far as I'm aware is always optional.

120hz has the same effect inside and outside of games of smoother motion. However videos aren't affected as they're typically not available at that frame rate while it doesn't sound like your other applications are likely to have lots of moving objects beyond a mouse cursor.

dusf

As far as I'm aware the most common avoidable cause of eyestrain is having the brightness too high compared with the brightness of the surroundings, or not enough screen brightness to avoid the picture being washed out in a bright room.

The low frequency flicker of [email protected] can cause issues for some people, but that's generally only found on gaming monitors and as far as I'm aware is always optional.

120hz has the same effect inside and outside of games of smoother motion. However videos aren't affected as they're typically not available at that frame rate while it doesn't sound like your other applications are likely to have lots of moving objects beyond a mouse cursor.

Any thoughts on an actual models? I may be able to stack another 15% (I have emailed them about a coupon not working) on top of the current 20% dell have off right now or reduce further on Black Friday for the S2721DGFA, though it would be great to have other options including a complete budget monitor.

reeiuuy

Novice Member
Everyone I know that have used a higher frame rate monitor says there's no going back. I'm on 60 right now but plan to get a 144 next. Make sure you sit close to the screens, especially those 27" ers. That high resolution makes things very small. Also make sure you use vsync or gsync or freesync in games.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom