Please Help Me Choose A New AV Receiver - Denon, Marantz or Yamaha?

BenRead

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I'm looking to choose a new AV receiver and have managed to whittle down the choices to the ones listed below. SQ and PQ are the most important closely followed by good upscaling.

Denon 3312 - http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/p...meTheatre&SubId=AVReceivers&ProductId=AVR3312

Marantz SR6006 - http://marantz.co.uk/uk/Products/Pa...&SubCatId=AVReceiver&ProductId=SR6006]Marantz

Marantz SR7005 - http://marantz.co.uk/uk/Products/Pa...eTheatre&SubCatId=AVReceiver&ProductId=SR7005

Yamaha RXV2067 - http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx-v2067/?mode=model

Last edited:
Best sound quality would be from Marantz SR6006 or the Yamaha RX-A1010. RX-V2067 is now discontinued, but there may still be new 'old' stock around.

You can still get an RXV3067 for roughly the same price as the Marantz and for less than the current price of a Yamaha RXA1010:

Yamaha RXV3067

You can also get a Marantz SR7005 for roughly the same price as an RXV3067 or the SR6006:
Marantz SR7005

My shortlist would be:
Yamaha RXV3067
Marants SR7005
Denon AVR3312

Last edited:
Is there much of a difference between the Marantz SR7005 and SR6006?

Is there much of a difference between the Marantz SR7005 and SR6006?

Quite noticeable in terms of power. The SR7005 provides 15 watts more per channel than the SR6006. There's nothing really to be gained by purchasing the SR6006. Even Marantz refer to the SR7005 as being the SR6006's big brother. It still is the model above the SR6006 and there's no reason to pay the same or more for one ;)

Problem is I have found a really cheap SR6006 for sale, it's 2 weeks old and up for £520 this is why I'm not too sure what to do :confused:

Problem is I have found a really cheap SR6006 for sale, it's 2 weeks old and up for £520 this is why I'm not too sure what to do :confused:

That would be a reasonably good deal. There's nothing wrong with the SR6006, it is just not as good as its big brother :)

Hmmm.... after a quick comparison I can see the main difference is the video processing and power.

Video Processing

6006 - ADV8002
7005 - ABT2015 (Anchor Bay)

I have read that the ABT processor is being replaced since Anchor Bay Technology was bought by Silicon Image, everyone seems to be switching to the Analog ADV chip but nobody seems to know how it performs :confused:

Power @ 8ohm

6006 - 110 watt
7005 - 125 watt

Marantz have a 70% guarantee on these so the 7005 would make more sense...Arrgh!

Last edited:
Hmmm.... after a quick comparison I can see the main difference is the video processing and power.

Video Processing

6006 - ADV8002
7005 - ABT2015 (Anchor Bay)

I have read that the ABT processor being replaced by the Analog ADV chip, does this make a major difference? Nobody seems to know how the new Analog ADV-8002-4 Video processor performs and since Anchor Bay Technology was bought by Silicon Image everyone seems to be swithching from using the ABT2015's :confused:

Power @ 8ohm

6006 - 110 watt
7005 - 125 watt

Marantz have a 70% guarantee on these so the 7005 would make more sense...Arrgh!

The video processing will only come into play if wanting to upscale analogue SD sources to HD digital. I've personally never used the video processing and scaling abilities onboard my RXV2065 and don't see me wanting to now that analogue sources are becoming a rarity. I'd personally not buy any AV amp on its video processing abilities, but you may have more need of it than me? I think it just a case of the ADV8002 superseding the ABT2015 rather than there being any issues associated with the ABT2015?

I'd personally not buy any AV amp on its video processing abilities, but you may have more need of it than me?

Probably not if the truth be told.

I think it just a case of the ADV8002 superseding the ABT2015 rather than there being any issues associated with the ABT2015?

So nothing negative there then, just older technology being replaced. Would the new chip be seen as a way of future proofing?

What are your thoughts Dante?

Last edited:
The video processing will only come into play if wanting to upscale analogue SD sources to HD digital. I've personally never used the video processing and scaling abilities onboard my RXV2065 and don't see me wanting to now that analogue sources are becoming a rarity. I'd personally not buy any AV amp on its video processing abilities, but you may have more need of it than me? I think it just a case of the ADV8002 superseding the ABT2015 rather than there being any issues associated with the ABT2015?

I think that it does somewhat depend on your display and how it's calibrated as some displays don't seem to allow multiple configurations for different sources, quite why I see quite so much variance between my sources I don't know but I suspect 'manufacturer fiddling' so a video processor can be handy. The Marantz SR7005 (don't know about the 6006) allows different video settings like contrast, brightness, chroma, hue and sharpness to be modified per source and I actually think it's useful. The DNR and upscaling etc can be turned off.

feel the Yamaha is out, so it's between the Denon 3312 and Marantz 7005, what are your thoughts Dante?

The Marantz was almost identical to the Denon AVR3311 so the AVR3312 should in theory supersede both the SR7005 and the AVR3311? But I find myself keep wanting to say Marantz. The SR7005 has a build quilty superior to that of the Denon???

The AVR3312 has Apple Airplay and an extra HDMI input. The Marantz SR7005 is built like a tank and this should make it a more stable platform in terms of audio distortion. If audio is the order of the day then the Marantz wins, but I think the DEnon pips the Marantz in terms of pure Movie performance.

Thanks Dante.

This is going to be mainly for movies with music a close second. The extra HDMI isn't important to the set-up and neither is the airplay to be honest, I can always get the RX101 bluetooth unit as an add on if I want connectivity to the iPhone or Macbook pro.

Sure, Paradigm MilleniaOne Speakers :smashin:

Denon and Marantz are both reputable receivers so I don't think you'll go wrong with any one of them based on your preference. Go hear them both and make a decision based on what you like.

I'd probably be slightly inclined towards Marantz although I would not mind going for the Denon based on a thorough and intensive side by side demo.

Hope that helps

Go hear them both and make a decision based on what you like.

I'd probably be slightly inclined towards Marantz although I would not mind going for the Denon based on a thorough and intensive side by side demo.

My location is my downfall, there is nobody locally (Jersey) who is prepared to help.

Nobody really carries any stock, all you can usually audition is either B&W or KEF, anything out of the ordinary leaves me relying on internet and end user reviews :(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom