1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me choose a new amplifier!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Micro44UK, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Micro44UK

Micro44UK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Board,
    I'm new here, but thanks to google I think I found a good forum!! My current amplifier just stopped working - smoke started coming out of the top and it looks pretty dead!! I need to find a replacement - please help!

My current setup is:

AMP - Arcam Alpha 9
    CD - Arcam Alpha 7SE
    Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver 8i
    Speaker Cables - Cable Talk
    Interconnects - Sonic Link

Only looking for a new amp at the moment but want something to form the centre of a system that overall will be upgraded in the next 1/2 years. I'd say £450 is the most I have to spend.

Under consideration:

1- Cyrus 7 Amp (silver) – I thought cyrus stuff was beyond my price range but at £350 this seems pretty good? End of the line I guess: http://www.hifi-plus.co.uk/amps.html
    2- NAD C372 - £440 – seems to have plenty of power but my speakers are not hard to drive.

I like the Cyrus sound and the fact that their styling stays pretty constant (good if I want to upgrade around the amp). Not sure silver looks as good as the black? I know Arcam has some good product lines out now but having seen my Alpha 9 fall apart I want to stay away from them.

Anyone have any comments? Cyrus 7 still worth considering or is it a bit old?

2. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    If you like the Cyrus go with it. Seems a good price.

3. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    yup looks a good buy considering it use to sell for £700(rrp) . You can also upgrade by adding an external power supply