1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me choose a mobo after bad luck

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Chipster, May 21, 2004.

1. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can you recommend a good mobo for my HCPC please?

Following two different (new) motherboard failures, and a subsequent refund, I am looking to buy again and am interested in what brand and model of mobo you use, and where you bought it. (Search here returned too many matches for motherboard).
    I need a stable board primarily for movie playback but perhaps some semi-serious gaming too. To simplify things, I would prefer good on board sound outputting SPDIF via coax along with onboard LAN if possible.
    I am using an AMD Athlon 2600+ processor, Asus 9600XT graphics card, 512 ram, plus Lite-on DVD and CD drives and Seagate HD with XP.

The boards I have been unlucky with so far are:
    Gigabyte GA-7N400 PRO2 (SPDIF sound kept cutting out)
    MSI KT6 Delta (Would not post everytime)

With both these boards memory was exchanged along with power supply’s etc etc to no avail. I’m sure they were just faulty boards from a specific supplier but I may try the brands again if recommended. Think I was just unlucky.

Interestingly, the PQ from the Gigabyte board was smoother, especially on panning shots, whereas the MSI displayed micro stutter for some reason. Different chipsets maybe??

Anyway, your recommendations would be helpful, and thanks in advance.

Chipster.

2. <<ERROR>>

<<ERROR>>
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, I am an Intel user, so don't expect my advice to be that good...

That said, I have heard very good things about motherboards with NForce chipsets. They have on-board 5.1 sound (they are the only sound chipset that I know of that will output Dolby Digital for ordinary Windows sound) and they also have onboard LAN.

As far as I can remember from the reviews (try www.tomshardware.com for good reviews), they are also rock-solid in stability.

As for manufacturer, Asus make good kit, so perhaps look at their boards. MSI are also a good manufacturer, but I can tell from your post that you have not liked their past offering, so let's ignore them.

Go to www.hexus.net and take a look at their review for the Asus A7N8X Deluxe. According to them, you can get it at www.scan.co.uk for £69.33 - which is a good price for such a stable board.

3. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've been using a MSI K7N2G-ILSR Nforce2 board for over a year now without a single problem (touch wood :D ) and would still recomend you consider them, it's been a great board for me and I'm very happy with it.

However if I had 2 mobo failures I would probably steer clear of those makers myself so I fully understand your position. <<<ERROR>>>'s recomendation is a good one, they were/are a very popular board with quite a few owners on here (if memory serves me right) just in case you get anymore problems... though if you do get another problem I think you might find it could be a different bit of kit causing it, I hope this isn't the case though.

Regards,
    Iain.

4. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want rock solid stability look no further than the ABIT NF7 series. I have installed about 400 of these and havent had a single mobo problem in the last 18 months.

Chris

5. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've always used the Asus MB's , currently running the Nforce2 deluxe version...have also heard goods things about Abit boards...as mentioned.

6. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your replies, your comments are very helpful and relevent.

From reading various motherboard forums it appears most people are more interested in how fast they can overclock etc, but reading between the lines, the Abit appears to have the edge as regards positive comments, closely followd by Asus. MSI also a worthy choice it seems. So many others to choose from and a bewildering array of spec. :confused:

I think I will shortlist Abit, Asus and perhaps MSI but would still appreicate a few more comments.

Chipster.

7. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Can I just say that I have the same board as loafer and it's the best MB I have purchased in years.
    I have the 6.1 digital sound hooked up, and with the new N-Vidia drivers laucnched, I think this is the best value for monwy board about.
    Also, I use 1 LAN connector for the Brodband and link my X-Box up to the other for BB connection.

8. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Abit Nf7-s. Much better than any of the asus boards ive used. Sound quality is top notch, as is performance and is by far the most stable board ive used. IVe installed 5 of them in other pc's now and they all work perfectly. Actually i just replaced an asus a7n8x deluxe with an NF7-S;)

9. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Think I may opt for the Abit Nf7-s then. But I see it appears to have optical SPDIF out only, I was really looking for digital coax out. But hey, perhaps a cheap sound card for pass through to coax aint gonna break the bank. I also see it has a northbridge fan too.. is it noisey?

And by the way, has anyone used a 10 mtr length of optical cable with good results?

Cheers, Chipster.

10. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    its very easy to make a bracket with coax digital output - its literally only one wire and a socket. Failing that you can buy an optical > co-ax adaptor or an official coax bracket, but thats a little more costly.

The northbridge fan isnt noisey at all - i cant hear mine:)

11. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks James.

I'd be very interested how you make the coax bracket, does the Abit Nf7-s have a connector on the board for this?

Havent seen the bracket as an offical option, if it is do you have a link?

Chipster.

12. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    indeed the board does have a conncetor - i've made the bracket myself:)

http://www.motherboardfaqs.com/article.php?11.255

That guide shows you how to modify any old spdif bracket you might find, but its just as easy to drill a hole and wire up a socket if you know what you're doing:)

13. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nice find :thumbsup: .

Abit Nf7-s it is then.

Thanks.