Please help me choose a laptop

SpacePainter

Novice Member
Hi, I'm going into college. I'll be doing some programming, watching tv shows and movies and some really light gaming on my new laptop. Currently, I have a few options and don't know which to choose. I am also open to other recommendations. I'm not American, so sorry, but I want to send links from my country's website so as not to mess up on any of the models and specs. I am sure you can still understand it.

Laptop LENOVO IdeaPad S540-14API - 81NH008TYA AMD® Picasso Ryzen 7 3700U do 4.0GHz, 14", 1TB SSD, 8GB

Dell Inspiron 5593 (NOT15136) laptop 15.6" FHD Intel® Quad Core™ i7 1065G7 8GB 512GB SSD GeForce MX230 Ubuntu plavi 3-cell

ASUS X512DA-EJ466

tickedon

Hi, I'm going into college. I'll be doing some programming, watching tv shows and movies and some really light gaming on my new laptop.

What kind of 'really light gaming'? None of the three laptops will be very good at gaming.

myprecious

There's plenty of models to choose from. Buy second hand if possible. You can get good deals as well doing your part at recycling products and the enviornment. The main feature when considering a laptop is the form factor as opposed to the spec. Do you want a 14"+ screen? Most ultrabooks, even the ones you've listed will all be fine for basic games at the lowest settings.

D

Deleted member 27989

Don’t know what kind of programming, but in my opinion you can never have enough space on the screen so to me a 4K model would be a must.

Likewise if you are running a Windows machine I would expect that you’d be wanting to run WSL2 if you are programming with docked in the Linux side etc. I would not take anything below 16Gb of RAM.

And then you’d want to have enough grunt for doing other stuff as well so a true quad core as a minimum as well.

I also find USB-C ports very useful, especially as monitors can provide power to keep your laptop charged.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom