Please help me choose a graphic card/processor for Crysis and HDTV

vinnythesaint

Standard Member
Reaction score
HALP! I've gotta place my order today and i'm getting confused. I initially went for the Nvidia geforce 9800GTX 512mb, but bearing in mind its for Crysis and a 42" HDTV, maybe something with more RAM would be better. My only other choice available is 2 of the Nvidia geforce 8800GT's running in SLI with the combined RAM totalling 1024mb. Which do you think would suit my needs better? Yes you :).
Unfortunately i have the same doubts with the processor. Initially went for the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3gig x 2 core, but was instead considering the Q6600 2.4gig x quad core. But the latter has a slower clock speed than the E8400 :(. My head hurts a bit. Help me choose please.

Ok, first of all, do you have a budget for either?

Hi there. Yep i'm buying for m a company called dinoPC, so my choices are limited. Can't afford the 9800Gx2 though :) but i have the budget for the ones i listed

For the Cpu's The Q6600 is the one to go for.

For the graphics cards, two 8800gt's are better than one 9800gtx, but also cost around £60 more. It depends on what settings you plan to run the game at, and also which resolution?

well i was hoping to run Crysis at high, but i'm suspecting it to chug along. As for resolution.. probably very high (i'm not technically minded :) ), basically whatever resolution covers the 1920 x 1080 panel fullest. That may not make sense.

EDIT: PS- you dont think the lower clock speed of the q6600 as oppsed to the higher speed og the E8400 will have much of a noticable impact on framerate in game?

I would wait for the new graphics cards out next month from both ATI and Nvidia.

Right OK at the moment 1920 x 1080 is out of the question, the only cards that can play Crysis at that resolution with high detail are 3 x 8800gtx's which would cost £600!

At 1680 x 1050 with high settings 2 x 8800gt's will just about play it, 2 x 9600gt's will perform better in Crysis and for cheaper as well. One 9800 Gtx is really not worth buying :thumbsup:

I would wait for the new graphics cards out next month from both ATI and Nvidia.

Sound advice, but i need it now (for work reasons unfortunately). im ordering an entire PC not just the processor and card, so i need to choose one today :'(

Right OK at the moment 1920 x 1080 is out of the question, the only cards that can play Crysis at that resolution with high detail are 3 x 8800gtx's which would cost £600!

At 1680 x 1050 with high settings 2 x 8800gt's will just about play it, 2 x 9600gt's will perform better in Crysis and for cheaper as well. One 9800 Gtx is really not worth buying :thumbsup:

Excellent, thats kind of what i was thinking before i went of on the 9800gtx tangent. Nvidia should be punished for making the names of their series' so confusing (when much of the 8 series outperforms the 9 series). I shall probaly spend the extra £30 and get 2 of the 8800 GTs
. Cheers :)

I have a heavily overclocked watercooled 8800GTX and a 70" 1080p and crysis is playable with nearly everything on very high. Its probably around the 30fps mark. For 1080p memory is king and the best cards for this is the 8800gtx or ultra as these are the only cards to have 768Mb of on board memory along with a 384Mb memory buffer. These cards are also very good if you like to turn up the AA. If it was my money I would get a 8800GTX. You can buy them for around £175.

SLI has loads of problems and if you have two 512mb cards it doesnt see it as 1024mb but is limited by the 512mb of each card. If you really want to go SLI then do it with two 8800GTX's.

I hope this helps. :smashin:

I know, but in Crysis they just do better in SLI for some reason, in pretty much every other game this is not the case, that's why I specifically said "in Crysis";)

I know, but in Crysis they just do better in SLI for some reason, in pretty much every other game this is not the case, that's why I specifically said "in Crysis";)

I haven't read the benchies for that. I take it they have fixed SLi and Crysis now? :)

I am looking forward to finally getting my hands on some new tech next month. :clap:

I have a heavily overclocked watercooled 8800GTX and a 70" 1080p and crysis is playable with nearly everything on very high. Its probably around the 30fps mark. For 1080p memory is king and the best cards for this is the 8800gtx or ultra as these are the only cards to have 768Mb of on board memory along with a 384Mb memory buffer. These cards are also very good if you like to turn up the AA. If it was my money I would get a 8800GTX. You can buy them for around £175.

SLI has loads of problems and if you have two 512mb cards it doesnt see it as 1024mb but is limited by the 512mb of each card. If you really want to go SLI then do it with two 8800GTX's.

I hope this helps. :smashin:

yeah i did read up a bit on the SLI performance badly effecting things, especially with 64 bit Vista. I think everyone is hoping that one day they will release more patches or updates which can use SLI more productively. Hmm, i'm even more indecisive now :) . Unfortunately im limited to what DinoPC has listed on the custom build site so. instead i may go one of the 9800 gtx and then get a second fitted and SLi'd in a few weeks, probably better than 2 8800gt's. Unfortunately they dont list the 8800GTX but there is a n 8800GTS. dunno if the GTS is better memory wise tho.

yeah i did read up a bit on the SLI performance badly effecting things, especially with 64 bit Vista. I think everyone is hoping that one day they will release more patches or updates which can use SLI more productively. Hmm, i'm even more indecisive now :) . Unfortunately im limited to what DinoPC has listed on the custom build site so. instead i may go one of the 9800 gtx and then get a second fitted and SLi'd in a few weeks, probably better than 2 8800gt's. Unfortunately they dont list the 8800GTX but there is a n 8800GTS. dunno if the GTS is better memory wise tho.

The 8800GTS and 9800GTX are the same card but the 9800GTX is slightly overclocked more that the 8800GTS and has another power adapter which should allow it to overclock higher than the 8800GTS. Other than that they are the same tech with the same memory, memory buffer and stream pipelines.

Whats the price difference between the two cards? Also you could think about getting one card now and selling it in a months time for the true next gen cards. You shouldnt loose much and it would be far better to get a new next gen card than run 2 older gen cards in SLI.

Haven't really "fixed" it as such, Still pathetic performances increases from 2 and 3 card SLi. The only 2 card SLi worth considering is the 9800 GX2 for high end gaming. Cant wait for the new cards to come out:D, not to sure about another set of graphics cards out so soon though? :thumbsdow

The 8800GTS and 9800GTX are the same card

Whats the price difference between the two cards? Also you could think about getting one card now and selling it in a months time for the true next gen cards. You shouldnt loose much and it would be far better to get a new next gen card than run 2 older gen cards in SLI.
So the 8800GTS is near enough the same as the 9800GTX. Nvidias naming scheme must confuse loads of buyers!!
Hmm this makes sense actually. now im leaning towards a cheap 8800GT and then buy a new gen card on pay day. I will just put up with the chugging and graffix for the moment. Although, the 8800GT is probably much better than i'm imaging it to be.
Thanks for the help again

So the 8800GTS is near enough the same as the 9800GTX. Nvidias naming scheme must confuse loads of buyers!!
Hmm this makes sense actually. now im leaning towards a cheap 8800GT and then buy a new gen card on pay day. I will just put up with the chugging and graffix for the moment. Although, the 8800GT is probably much better than i'm imaging it to be.

It's a good card, but a single one on a 1080p TV I doubt will produce a playable frame rate. I benchmark cards regularly but not on Tv's only on monitors, I'm not quite sure what the difference is, more a computer person, but I assume its practically the same?

Haven't really "fixed" it as such, Still pathetic performances increases from 2 and 3 card SLi. The only 2 card SLi worth considering is the 9800 GX2 for high end gaming. Cant wait for the new cards to come out:D, not to sure about another set of graphics cards out so soon though? :thumbsdow

This is what put me off going SLI on my GTX even though i have two of them (one on each pc).

The original 9 series were a joke and Nvidia sales were down a fair bit due to enthusiasts knowing they were just rebadged 8800 series cards. These cards which are out soon will be next gen and not smaller die same tech as the original 8 series cards.

I would go for the 8800GTS and sell it in a month or so time. I dont think there is much difference in price between the 8800GT and GTS. Both are good cards, but at higher res the 8800GTS is more capable especially with AA turned up. Nvidias naming scheme has confused and upset loads of purchasers and pc enthusiasts. ATI have sort of done the same with the 2xxx and 3xxx range.

It's a good card, but a single one on a 1080p TV I doubt will produce a playable frame rate. I benchmark cards regularly but not on Tv's only on monitors, I'm not quite sure what the difference is, more a computer person, but I assume its practically the same?

You could run a 8800GT at 1080p with some AA on most games (bioshock, COD4, Timeshift etc...). I havent got a clue how it will fair with crysis.

Badbob has a highly overclocked 8800GT. He would know how it plays with Crysis.

:)

I finally cracked :) because the companys choices were rather limited so i went for:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
Asus Striker 2 Mother Board 790i
4G Ram 1333mhz
Nvidia 9800GX2 :)
500g HD
Vista 64

Thanks guys for the advice it did help a lot
£1300!! Wallet am cry :'(

I wouldnt worry, you will be grinning from ear to ear once its all set up and running. You will have loads of fun with your new set up. The best thing is with a pc is that you can upgrade if you ever feel like it in the future with ease. :smashin:

I wouldnt worry, you will be grinning from ear to ear once its all set up and running. You will have loads of fun with your new set up. The best thing is with a pc is that you can upgrade if you ever feel like it in the future with ease. :smashin:

Ha, i will leave that to te professional, lest it join my other 2 PS's in Silicon Heaven
:thumbsup:

Thats a meaty system you set up there, I thought you only had a budget for what you mentioned :confused:

I finally cracked :) because the companys choices were rather limited so i went for:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
Asus Striker 2 Mother Board 790i
4G Ram 1333mhz
Nvidia 9800GX2 :)
500g HD
Vista 64

Thanks guys for the advice it did help a lot

Sorry if I'm the bearer of bad news, but the 9800GX2 does only have 512mb of memory too, since everything's duplicated for each of the two GPUs.

On the bright side, it appears that more than 512mb is only really needed at 2560x1600 at the moment:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/715-1/report-tri-and-quad-gpu-systems.html

Good luck with dinoPC as well.

Thats a meaty system you set up there, I thought you only had a budget for what you mentioned :confused:

Hi Hazard, sorry been at work. Yeah, when i say i cracked, i mean REALLY cracked :) . My budget was initially £900 for the entire PC, but then whilst chatting to you guys i remembered Mr Credit Card. Also, i was running a bit late for work - so it was a bit of an impulse buy. Which i will be paying for in the not too distant future:suicide: :thumbsup: :suicide: :suicide:
Note to self: impulse buying PC's is baad, m'kay.

@EndlessWaves - Yeah i kinda realised it had the same memory and a faster clock, Unfortunately 'twas the best of a bad bunch---> http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/configurePrd.asp?idProduct=316 . Regarding Dinopcs, do you know someone who has had an issue with them then? I should have googled them first really. Someone on Eurogamer said they were alright. Also thanks for the link. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom