Please help me choose a DSLR - Newbie.....

mda96bjh

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am looking for a decent DSLR. I enjoy photography but only really whilst travelling rather than in any serious way. I currently use a Canon S95 & a Sony NEX 5.... Our first baby is due shortly so I would now like a DSLR to improve the quality of my images (if not the composition ;))

I will freely admit that I haven't a clue about any of the manual features on a camera - Have never really understood apertures - shutter speeds - ISOs etc but I am willing to learn. In the meantime it is vital that any camera I buy has a decent Auto function to use while I get my head around all the other stuff.

I am really only interested in either Nikon or Canon.... I could probably spend up to £2000 but don't want to waste the money if this would be miles out of my league. My main concern is the overall picture quality - mainly JPEG as I will not have the time to mess around with RAW a lot.... A good video mode would also be nice. I have looked at the following cameras with some thoughts below....

Any comments gratefully received....
??? Possibles....
Canon EOS 650
Canon EOS 60D
Nikon 5100 or wait for 5200
Nikon D7000
Would these be much of an upgrade from my current gear?

or go for a full frame beast - pictures should be good on that then!! Do they have newbie friendly modes?

Nikon D800
Canon EOS 5D (mk III)
Canon 7D

Thanks all!! :thumbsup:

A DSLR will not improve your pictures. The nex5 is quite a capable piece of kit so I would learn to use it out of auto mode first before upgrading to a DSLR.

What's wrong with the images from the Nex 5 then ? :confused:

What's wrong with the images from the Nex 5 then ? :confused:

I always feel they look a little cold no matter what setting I use...... like a blue tinge.... Shots from the S95 often look more vibrant.

Night time shots from the NEX also seem to lack the colours & warmth that I can see even with long exposures....

Your pictures are cold because you need to adjust the picture settings saturation or white balance. You sure you not got it on Tungsten?

If I were youd Id learn a bit more before thinking another camera will provide the pictures you like. NEXs are excellent.

Your pictures are cold because you need to adjust the picture settings saturation or white balance. You sure you not got it on Tungsten?

If I were youd Id learn a bit more before thinking another camera will provide the pictures you like. NEXs are excellent.

Agree, and using a full frame camera in auto mode is like using a Ferrari to drive to the shops and backs, you can do it, but it is pointless and not using the equipment to its full capabilities.
I would buy this Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera: Amazon.co.uk: Bryan Peterson: Books if I were you, really good at explaining aperture shutter speeds etc.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Another reason to shoot RAW as well. 10 seconds in lightroom will fix a cold looking image.

Maybe consider buying a portrait lens for your NEX like the 50mm 1.8 OSS

You get a lot of new parents on here wanting to sell up their full size DSLR gear and downsize to something like a NEX as they can't manage all the babies stuff and a a couple of kg's of camera gear.

In a few years time if you're wanting to take photos at a kids football game or something then the superior autofocus of a DSLR will be needed.

These are all automatic scene settings.... The landscape one is the worst culprit for being cold....

I know everyone says if I shoot in RAW I can edit out the problems with LR but I really do not have the time to go through all my snaps....
Took thousands on a recent trip to Oz so i really need something capable of awesome JPEGs out of the box...

In regards to my original post though - I know the NEX is not a bad camera but would still like to try something else :)

Any thoughts on the choices in my list?

Thanks

Landscape would be cold, portrait warmer, sunset warmer still.

Picture settings, adjust saturation up 2 points. This will work for JPG files in auto mode also, avoid scenes. edit Creative style, standard, adjust, saturation +2.

If youre struggling with basics and want to waste money Id recommend the D800 or 5D3 and wish you best of luck.

If you find the NEX difficult youre going to struggle with a real DSLR.

Last edited:
I'd sugest that if you don't understand what's needed to resolve the colour balance problems using the Nex then you're pretty likely to encounter the problem - or similar isues - whatever camera you use.

Twist is correct in suggesting tweaking the Nex settings till you get what you want from it - all modern DSLR's and Mirrorless designs such as Nex are capable of producing "awesome jpegs out of the camera" - however to get that consistently you really do need to try and get a basic understanding of the key elments affecting exposure :)

A good start would probably be the excellent "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson but there's lots of good web info. out there too at sites like Cambridgeincolour and Luminouslandscapes etc.

Jim

Comments around understanding the camera all fair enough - I acknowledge I have never really played around but I am willing to learn.

I thought however a DSLR may be worth getting as its' auto should give me better results then the NEX whilst providing for even better pics down the line.

Even if I knew what I was doing I can't see that the NEX would produce better pics than all these others listed.

Just had a thought though if everyone likes the NEX then is the upgrade to the NEX 7 worth it?

Thanks

A DSLR wont provide better auto images than an NEX, theres hardly any difference, besides the mirror, the sensor is also APSC. The FF camera will produce the nicer images IMO due to the larger sensor, but again the NEX has a "DSLR" sensor.

No, you wouldnt use the advanced features. If you want to spend money buy some lenses and books instead.

Attachments

• fail01.jpg
    fail01.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 85
Perhaps I should have asked this earlier - but what are you viewing your photos on and is it properly calibrated ?

mda96bjh said:
Comments around understanding the camera all fair enough - I acknowledge I have never really played around but I am willing to learn.

I thought however a DSLR may be worth getting as its' auto should give me better results then the NEX whilst providing for even better pics down the line.

Even if I knew what I was doing I can't see that the NEX would produce better pics than all these others listed.

Just had a thought though if everyone likes the NEX then is the upgrade to the NEX 7 worth it?

Thanks

Not worth upgrading to the nex 7 if you are not getting the best of the nex5.

Perhaps I should have asked this earlier - but what are you viewing your photos on and is it properly calibrated ?

...and have you peeled the plastic protector off the LCD screen, I think that might have a blue tint to it.

I see you boys have been to the same bait shop recently ;)

...and have you peeled the plastic protector off the LCD screen, I think that might have a blue tint to it.

Hmmmm - now you mention it could be the vaseline I have smeared on my eyeballs.....

In answer to other Qs - I have the NEX 5 (not 5N)

My monitor is a Dell U2410 - properly calibrated....

Seriously just adjust what I mentioned and youll be much happier.

All food for thought.... I am quite reassurred by the support for the NEX 5 - didn't think camera enthusiasts would rate it at all.....

Still - there does seem to be a consensus view on these forums that the lens quality is more important & the NEX range is quite limted - I like the 18-55mm as it covers most of what I need to do but I am not sure if it is really any good..... Hence me looking at DSLRs....

Last edited:
Let's put it this way - the Nex kit lens is probably on a par with any other DSLR kit lens - it's true that the e-Mount lens range is a bit "challenged" at the moment but 3rd party manufacturers are starting to support it now.

What he said. You have pretty much every lens available you may buy as a beginner or intermediate, 50mm, 18-200 superzoom, Sigma 30mm, Sigma 19mm, Sony 16-50, Sony 55-210, Sony 16mm 2.8, Tamron 18-200, Sony 35mm, Sony 10-18.

If you really want an SLR look at the more user friendly models, A37, D5100, D3200, 650D etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom