Please help me choose a decent Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Binkysdad, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Binkysdad

Binkysdad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

My current Tv looks like it's on it's way out, as I have lost the top two inches off the screen. Can only assume the tube is going..

As I am having to bite the bullet, I am hopeing to go the whole hog and treat meself to a plasma..

As a father of two, money is the real issue, with the second being to convince the wife.

We watch lots of TV (have sky+) and DVD's, so am really looking for something to compliment the whole home cinema experience.

The Mrs aint big on huge screens, as she doesn't want the screen to dominate the front room. I'm thinking of a 37inch? From reading some of the reviews, it appears the Panasonic TH37PE50 , is getting some decent reviews and with it being around the £800 price tag, it's probably the only one I can afford.

Will this TV do the job, or can anyone advise on another set to consider?

I appreciate you get what you pay for, but I don't think I can stretch past a £1000. I'm not very techy, so please keep any reply's simple.

Any advise out there, would be appreciated.

2. p203557

p203557

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm sure some more comprehensive advice will be along soon but in the meantime........

You say you have Sky+ and a DVD player. Do you have a sound system? If you do (or even if you don't) I'd urge you to consider a panel. By this I mean a commercial plasma display panel similar to what you see in Tesco showing their offers. These don't have a tuner and have only very basic sound but don't come with speakers.

As you have two tuners in your sky+ an extra one in a TV is unnecessary. With a panel you can buy input boards (up to 3 in a 42" panel) these can be scart, component, vga, dvi etc. The plus of buying a panel is there is no duplication of sound and tv tuners. The negative is there are not quite as user friendly (but by no means complicated) and their styling isn't to everyones taste although I prefer them to most Plasma tv's.

Have a look at http://ws1.richersounds.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct_clearancebargains&pid=PANA-TH37PW7 for a 37" panel although you can get a 42" for the same money if you required it. Also if you are on a budget as I was before my 1st plasma purchase a few weeks ago have a look at the classified section on the forum as there are some very well looked after plasmas going for the £600 to £750 price range. Plus good stands and leads etc to be had.

HTH

Richard

3. Binkysdad

Binkysdad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, my DVD is a Sony home cinema system..

Whats the negatives of the Panasonic TH37PE50?

Whats the pro's of the Panasonic TH37TW7?

Your help, is appreciated.

4. p203557

p203557

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My understanding is that there are based on the same panel but one has the built in tuner and the other is a panel only. Not having a tuner means all the money you pay goes into the panel and the image processing and none of the budget is taken up with unnecessary tuners.

A few searches for the model numbers on this forum should bring up loads of info.

5. Binkysdad

Binkysdad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It looks like the financial issue is the big factor here and with the PE50 being at around £850 and the PW being around £1000, I am gonna have to go for the PE.

Can anyone please tell me of any issues I should be aware of with the PE50. I'm not fussed about HD, as I doubt I would notice the picture difference anyway. All I am looking for is a quality set, to watch me DVD's and sky on!

Come on people, your advice is appreciated and needed.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The only real issue apart from cosmentics will be the thickness of the PE. It's got a fat bum. All very well in a woman, if you like that kind of thing, but they are noticeably fatter tham most plasmas when wall mounted.

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    As you are not very techy I would go for the 37" PE50, great screen and a great price.

8. Binkysdad

Binkysdad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does anyone know what warrenty you get with Dabs.. I can't find anything on there website.. except for the used stock comes with 90 days. I am assuming it's the standard year, but would like to be sure before I go parting with any cash.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I'm sure it will be a year. Honestly apart from the fat arse I agree with Gizlaroc, it's a fine little plasma TV, my dad's got one.

10. rbartlett

rbartlett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Pop down to curry's as they are shifting the 42PE40B at £798.(don't buy ex demo)

At some stores you get the ped thrown in for that price!!.

Cheers

Richard

11. Binkysdad

Binkysdad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    All Currys, or just selected few.. Is this better than the PE50?

12. Dave E

Dave E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Does the PE40 not have an older screen that the PE50? (or is that the difference between the 30 and 50)... information overload recently...

Either way that seems like a beltin price from curry's!!

13. Binkysdad

Binkysdad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right then, I have ordered it and it should be here in a few days.

Is there anything I need to know about setting it up? Will a scart lead be a good enough connection from my sky+ and DVD system? Or should I invest in a component lead?

I notice a few strings also mention a running in period? Is this necessary?

Last but no means least screen burn!! Is there a guide to how long you can watch a channel with a logo, safely? I'm dreading telling the Mrs that the Grand I just spent on a TV, means she can't leave CBBC on for the kids, in case it :censored: up the screen.

There's also the red dot, that appears during the footy!! With the footy I am hopeing to watch during the world cup, I would like to know I can sit comfortably without any worries of screen burn.

Any advice, is greatly appreciated.

To those who replied to my original request - Thank you.:thumbsup:

MOD EDIT: please do not circumvent the swear filter, use the :censored: tag instead

14. fid

fid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    If you have sky, I think you'll find that, through the setup menu, you can set the "red dot" to automatically timeout so that it disappears after 5 seconds or so. It still retains the functionality, but just doesn't stay on the screen all the time

if only we could do the same with those channel logos :rotfl:

15. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    When you get it do the following...

Pic settings on sky set to RGB and contrast to low.

Pic settings on plasma...
    set to cinema mode.
    contrast 40%
    colour 45%
    sharpness around 20% at most, look at the sky banner while adjusting you will see when it goes out of focus.
    With a film running with black borders stand next to teh screen and drop the brightness till the bar is solid black with no noise in it.

Job done. You may even have the contrast at around 30% for the first 500 hours or so, but I have never seen a PE50 that needs to go above 50% even after a couple of thousand hours. And with the above settings you wont get any burn either.

16. Binkysdad

Binkysdad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys...:thumbsup:

What about cables? I obviously already have Scarts, but I also bought a interlink lightspeed100 high resolution digital interconnect cable? (what ever that is)..

What should I use from the Sky+ and what should I use from the DVD?

17. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    I would go RGB scart from Sky and depends what dvd player it is, if it has component then use that, if it has RGB then use that if S-Video is as good as it gets then get a new player. ;)

18. Binkysdad

Binkysdad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No one really answerd my is a interlink lightspeed100 high resolution digital interconnect cable, any good?

Althrough my question, may of not been clear.

19. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986

Well, from looking it up on google it looks like a £40 optical cable??

If you can tell a difference between that and one for £4.99 from B&Q you have better ears than I. ;)

What are you hoking together with it??

20. Binkysdad

Binkysdad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    just wanna know the best way to connect me DVD (Sony cinema system Dav500 i think) and sky+ to me new plasma.. It should eb here tonight so I can finally have a play..

21. Binkysdad

Binkysdad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's here, it looks big and yes the Mrs is moaning.. But I love it!! :thumbsup:

Just a couple of questions - but I am sure you all expected that!!

Firstly - Do I need to have anologue ariel to pick up the digital channels? I assumed as they were digital, an ariel would not be needed. But the TV cannot detect any channels at all.

Am I expecting too much, when it comes to picture quality for sky channels? I stuck in a DVD (revenge of the sith) and the pic looks crisp and great. But when I watch Sky, it looks a little pale and flickery? especially ITV. Sky+ box and DVD are connected via scarts. I did mess with the settings, as suggested previously in this thread, but changed it from cinema mode to dynamique, as that looks a lot better.

Apart from the above, which I expect are just me being stupid, it does look great and I am really happy. A big thank you to all, who took the time to respond to my earlier questions, and a thank you in advance to any one who answers (hopefully) my last question.

22. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Steady Tiger!!! :D

23. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    You need to plug an aerial in, how do you think it is going to get the signal from the antenna??

Dymanic will give you screen burn! Turn it off now!!

Have you made sure the Sky box is in RGB mode?
    Made sure you are in an RGB scart on the TV?
    Set screen to Cinema, colour and contrast to 50% and then adjust the blacks with brightness by standing at the screen and knocking the levels doen until black borders on a film are noise free.

Your welcome! ;)

24. Binkysdad

Binkysdad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Because it is digital, I for some reason assumed they had an internal ariel or reception device - I did say I was being stupid. Does the quality of the ariel make a difference for picking up digital channels, i.e will I need a roof mounted ariel?

I did follow the previous suggestions, of setting it to cinema mode and dropping the colour and contrast.. it just looked poor in comparison.

Perhaps I will just watch good DVd's in dynamique and keep everything else to cinema?

I set Sky to RGB.

Not sure what the scart leads are, so might be worth investing in some new ones?

Another really stupid question, but I can't seem to find an answer anywheer else. What is a component lead? Is this better than a scart?

25. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    You may get a recpetion with an indoor aerial, I did at my last place, but more often than not you need a very good aerial that is capable of recieving all the bands required for digital.

Dynamic not only kills your set, but it also adds lots of artifacts to the picture making it very unrealistic.
    I would stick it in Cinema mode and get used to it, alot of guys take a few days to get used to the image after an isf calibration as it is a similar thing.
    But once you get used to it you will never go back, I promise you.

Have you got a decent video camera?? If so plug it into your screen and point it out of the window, adjuts the settings until your screen matches what you see out the window, I bet all the settings are really low?

You want your screen to look real, not like an episode of the simpsons with cartoon like colours and false bright highlights.

Component cables are like RGB, and RGB has seperate Red, Green and Blue channels, where as component has Luminance (black and white) and blue and red (it works out green from this) so in theory not quite as good, however alot of dvds have better component outputs than RGB as the film is stored on the disc in component. Component also allows you progressive scan and HD, where as Scart RGBs does not.

What brand of DVD player have you got??

Sky is only RGB scart.

26. Binkysdad

Binkysdad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Sony DAV?? home cinema system, it's not a bad system and the sound is great (at least in my opinion).

What do you mean by ISf calibration?

I'm just trying to convince the Mrs that the picture quality is better than our last set and to justify why it has nearly cost a grand!!

I haven't really had the time to play with it yet, so I'm sure with a bit of tinkering it will get much better!!

27. Binkysdad

Binkysdad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Also, does anyone know the code for the Sky+ remote to work with the PE3750? It's not listed in Sky..

28. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    You can call out people who come and calibrate your display so it shows it at a standard, they calibrate it so the black level, white level, colour and gamma is correct, calibrated to D65. They also make sure the correct processing is on/off and generaly get the most out of your display.
    You then know that what you are seeing on screen is what the director intended you to see.
    Alot of people first think it looks a little flat, but after a while you realise it is actually far more reslistic and you see more detail as you are not overdriving the set.

[email protected] does ISF calibration, as does Piers on this forum.

29. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ISFing...you'll find yourself for the first few hours going why is everything so weird looking until you realise its exactly cos its bringing out lifelike realistic colours to match real life- not ones made for cartoons!

Then you will never be able to live with a non-ISFed screen. Ever. Skies look like proper skies. Flesh looks like real flesh.