1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me choose a 28" CRT TV.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by visordown, Mar 9, 2005.

1. visordown

visordown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alright guys,

This is my first post here, so hello.

In Nov 2003, I bought a Philips 28PW6006. Good it is too. Now I want another 28" TV, but I'm not au fait with the current market.

I saw a friends TV the other day and the picture quality was amazing, it is a 100Hz TV, but I wasn't sure if this was the reason the image was so sharp, or if it was because the screen was flat, or something else..?

I had a look on eBuyer, and liked the look of this:
    Philips 28PW6008C for £219.99 inc. VAT.

and this:
    Panasonic TX28DTX1C for £309.99 inc. VAT

eBuyer has a load of TVs listed here and I don't know if I want 50Hz, 100Hz, Quintrix Flat, Super Flat or a One bed Flat in Peckham.

I've got a maximum of £300 to spend and I'd like to order a 28" TV by the end of the week.

Your input would be welcome.

Thanks.

2. visordown

visordown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not even one suggestion? :eek:

3. EviL AnGeL

EviL AnGeL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought the Philips 28PW9309 on sale at Empire Direct for £360 inc stand. It's the pixel plus model but not pixel plus 2 which has just replaced this set. I imagine they are reducing the prices to shift these sets so they can sell only pixel plus 2 from now on. Anyway after 2 days of twiddling and tweaking I'm very happy with. I watched Star Wars on DVD last night with pixel plus and it was amazing. Pixel plus isn't for everyone though. It's a bit like Marmite love it or hate it, so try and see it in action before you decide. Also some people don't like 100hz.

If you get something that's 100hz and not with any fancy picture processing like pixel plus then I'd go for something like a Toshiba 28ZH46 which is 100hz. Both those TV's you mention aren't 100hz by the way. I've just changed from an old 24" 50hz to the Philips and I wouldn't go back to 50hz now. Also the Philips you mention isn't really a flat screen I don't think. I would go for a true flat screen with 100hz for starters and then see if you like all the pixel plus (philips) acuity (panasonic) DRC (sony) gizmos.

4. visordown

visordown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply. I think I'm going to go with the same TV as you have gone for. It's quite cheap here.

Is everything ok with it? Do you know of any better deals?

Thanks.

5. EviL AnGeL

EviL AnGeL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I were you I'd get it from Empire Direct. It will cost £5 more in total inc delivery than Digital Direct but Empire Direct will send an engineer out to you if anything goes wrong with it. I don't think Digital Direct will do that and they will expect you to send it back to them for testing or take it to a service centre. This is the best deal I found for this TV after a month of looking and it's the best by quite a way.

I have seen the 28PW9308 at Digital-Point.couk for £339 including delivery but this model is the one before the 28PW9309 although I'm not sure how much difference there is between them. However I'v heard very mixed comments about Digital Points service and I myself virtually got the phone put down on me by a very arrogant sales assistant when all I did was ask if they had the TV in stock and how long it would take to deliver. Personally I wouldn't give people like that my money on principle never mind about how good their prices are.

On the tv itself I'm very happy with it and the pixel plus really gives the picture clarity but like I said before some people really hate pixel plus because of the effect it can have on movies making them look like live tv etc. If you haven't seen pixel plus in action I'd try to see it running first but only on a good connection like DVD or Sky through RGB as a crappy RF signal in Currys or Comet doesn't show the effect off hardly at all.

6. visordown

visordown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ha. My 9309 arrived yesterday. I spent the evening setting it up. There's a lot of options and things to mess about with! So far, so good.