Please help me build my first media room

awalner

Novice Member
Hello all,

First time posting. I am no novice so be gentle please. I have been lurking on this board and it has helped me so much. Such a great virtual community.

I am building a media room. About 18X19. I am not going to close it up until the kids are older, so I have to go in-wall. It is carpeted and is white (which I can change). I will close it off when the kids get older. I have dry wall and the comments will be placed in a nearby closet

So far, the equipment I have decided on is as follows

1. Epson 5030 projector- waiting for 4k to drop in price
  2. L/R probably center speakers- DT UIW RLS II
  3. maybe 4 Surround speakers UIW RLS III (maybe overkill) so may do a lower model
  4. SW (probably 2) either IWSub 10/10 with DT SubAmp 600 or may go external for the subs with a SVS model.
  5. I already have a blu ray which streams, Pioneer Elite VSX 94 VSX-94TXH (may upgrade Have the SC 81 up stairs but need it for 4k) and will be getting the new generation apple tv.
  6. I have about 9tb which are wired of music on hard drives with a lot of HQ Flacs ( back them up but I will need to connect 2 HD at a time with at least 4tb (also does have some movies on it) I use Kodi (XBMC) Or VLC, sometimes Plex.
  7. For the HDs I use Nvidia shield tv but may want something better. I have a Matricom G-Box Q Quad/Octo Core XBMC/Kodi Android TV Box [2GB/16GB/4K] but i never hooked it up
  8. I may use my MSI Computer Corp. GT60 2OKWS 3K-615US;9S7-16F441-615 15.6-Inch Laptop or may buy a mac mini for my HDs all for a HTPC
  9. room has light but getting black out shades and are in the basement (more info can be provided). I will work on the lighting latter but it does have a fire place which should not interfere with the setup (but maybe the sound) I will close it off later when the kids grow up more. They mainly play in the adjacent room around the corner.
  10. may also get a turntable
  11. I will also be getting a tensioned controlled motorized screen (probably around 120’)
  12. I may opt of acoustic transparent because it will probably be more ideal for the room. I would have to put a horizontal center channel near the floor and with AT I can
  13. I will be using all this for music, movies and tv

Questions

1. Comments about the setup would be appreciated.
  2. recommendations for a motorized tensioned 120 screen? Thinking about acoustic transparent? How much does the later effect the sound? ( i would like reasonable priced recommendations and some that are a little more expensive $1500 to 2500 maybe beyond in 3k 4k range) I was recommend the EPV Peregrine Tension
  3. Do I need preamp? I am not familiar with preamps and my receiver has outs for them. I am concerned, and do not know much about this subject, that if i plug in 1 channel or 2 channel preamps, I will lose surround sound.
  4. what can I do to get the most out of my Hard Drives? do you recommend a DAC and/or something else? am I fine? and amps or a/v receiver that would help? probably have to plug it into a computer because I need something that will organize and recognize all that memory. should i use the laptop mentioned above? It also has to be controllable by a universal remote
  5. The components will be in a closet. Do i need a fan or some kind of ventilation? I probably need power filtration- which one would suit this system?
  6. Which sub should I go with
  7. reasonably priced turntable suggestions?
  8. Also, upstairs, I will probably have to get a 5.0 sounder. I have a PE sc 81 which i would plug it into. suggestions for a SB around 500-2000 (best bang for my buck)?
Sorry this is so long and Thank you for what you already posted in this MB and any comments you can provide.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom