Please help me arrange my speaker set up

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by AudioJosh, Feb 16, 2018.

1. AudioJosh

AudioJosh
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all, I’m relatively new to the world of surround sound and have had a lot of fun playing around with set ups during the last year. I’m not sure if my current speaker arrangement is optimal though so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Yesterday I purchased a second hand pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 2’s (now my fronts) to go with some Q Acoustics 3020 (surround), Monitor Audio RS1’s (surround back) and Wharfedale Diamond 101c (centre). No sub though, my housemate hates it if I have any bass! These speakers are being powered by an Onkyo TX SR-606 amp (I thought about upgrading but figured is it really worth it?). I sit quite close to the front and centres as I’m at a desk in my bedroom. Just wondered if anyone here would set this up differently? To be honest I think they all sound great in their own way. I’m still getting used to the Bronze’s 2’s though, I wasn’t sure at first but adjusting speaker position has helped. The Q Acoustics pumped out much better bass I thought (for when my housemate was out) so I am wondering would they be better front speakers to accommodate the lack of sub? Although I seem to be getting bogged down in price thinking it must be mad putting the cheapest speakers at the front! I quite like the RS1’s as rears, they sound lovely and clear.

Any help appreciated, cheers!

2. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +880
    You got some quite odd setup there mate. :laugh: I mean mixing each channels with different brands. This is not something what would be recommended like ever! :confused:

Bronze 2 is largest of those regarding cabinet volume and mid-bass driver size (6,5") so they are quite home as front speakers. Won`t sound best if you have them pushed against walls, so give them some space to breath and preferably sitting on ~60cm speaker stands which you can find cheap 2nd hand.

I think you should still look subwoofer for movies and just keep it low enough when room mate is there, when he`s out you can tweak it and enjoy more. Missing the whole LFE channel is quite big minus...

Older 600 serie Onkyo receiver is very fine, it still has the newer hd audio formats (DD TrueHD/DTS HD*) for blurays. Also Audussey mic setup which should help setting up the system.
    Understanding surround sound formats

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,542
    It sounds like you are more akin to a Studio (near field) layout than a Home Cinema layout - though your Loudspeakers are more Home Cinema than Studio!

I'd start out optimising your Front LR (inc the room) and then add in additional channels.

Good guidelines here for setting up a Studio type arrangement - Room Setup 101: Speaker Placement Secrets

Joe

PS Some pics of your setup would be handy.

4. AudioJosh

AudioJosh
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys. Yeh I have a bit of a mish mash of gear which I've accumulated at quite cheap prices as I can never resist a bargain! After reading your replies and doing a bit of research I think I'm definitely going to sell the Wharfedale Diamond 101c for a Bronze centre so the 3 most important speakers match at least. I kind of feel I can get away with the surrounds for now as they are there to add ambience but I will most likely sell the Q Acoustics 3020 eventually for another pair of Bronze's so I have a Monitor Audio set up even if the RS1 is from a different range.

Thanks for the article Joe, it was an interesting read. I will get some pictures uploaded. Yeh it's definitely a near field set up. To be honest I even move the surround left and rights quite close (within a few feet) as I'm hard of hearing in one ear till I get a hearing aid.

Am I wasting my time having Home Cinema speakers in a set up like this? Should I be looking at getting different speakers? The set up sounds pretty good to me after having a rejig last night but I'm still a bit of a novice.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,542
    'The set up sounds pretty good to me' - that is key.

'Am I wasting my time having Home Cinema speakers in a set up like this?' - no, you just have to realise you may require a bit more space around the speakers and avoid sitting them on furniture or they could sound a bit 'boomy'.

Front LCR - the ideal setup is three identical speakers (not always easy to achieve as the speaker manufacturers tend to supply LR as a Pair plus a 'horizontal' Centre).

Joe

6. Mr Andy

Mr Andy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I think very few people get an exact match across the front, though series matched is a reasonable goal. I think I'm more lucky than most in having a LCR with matching driver size (I started with a 4" centre drivers with 6" floor standing speakers, now the centre is bigger). It wouldn't hurt to try a phantom centre setup. I did that for a while. For a central seat it was better than a poorly located centre.