Question Please Help: MacBook Pro Retina Mid 2014

j1singh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was wondering if you all could help me on the problems I have having dealing with Apple:

Model: MACBOOK PRO (RETINA, 15-INCH, MID 2014)
Date of Purchase: 25-Dec-14

First Visit to Apple Store:

Went into Apple Store on the 20/12/2015 for the following:

Existing Problems

1: MacBook Pro overheats intermittently under non-strenuous usage. For example:

• Using the Photos application and viewing my photos
  • Using Spotify to play my music in the background
  • The spinning color wheel would appear and the machine would be non responsive for approx. 1 minute
  • Using Safari to brows the Internet and view YouTube and Vimeo videos.

2: Noticed fragments behind the glass display visible when using and not using the machine.

Results at Genius Bar by Employee:

After speaking to the Genius Apple technician and explaining the to him thoroughly the issues I am experiencing with my MacBook Pro, he straight away acknowledged the issue with the display showing the fragments behind the screen.

To further examine and test for the overheating issues he ran a MRI, which passed.

He mentioned that we will run further diagnostics and testing for the overheating issues and we will replace your display. I received the ‘Work Authorization’ email explaining the display costs under warranty.

( Employee notes on email:

Issue: Cx states that display will go dim on every use and app, also Cx states that fragments are visible under the display glass on the top left area, Cx is also seeing spinning wheel when using the Mac and it also concerned about heat

Steps to Reproduce: Ran MRI - passed
Cosmetic Condition: Take at drop off
Proposed Resolution: Replace display due to fragments, also run asd OS and EFI after, test in user OS to replicate issue.
Cx will drop machine in 7 days
Cx is ok with erase and install as Mac should be backed up when Cx bring it back)

Apple then kept my MacBook Pro to repair. (or at least thats what I had hoped).

Final Result:
Received email confirmation stating machine is repaired and is ready for collection on 22/12/2015. I collected the laptop and was told that the repair was successful. To my misery, I arrive home the very same day and later that evening use the machine. The screen issue has been rectified but the initial main problem of overheating came back to haunt me.

At this point, I am a little annoyed to the fact I feel that my laptop has been taken in by apple and all they have done is changed the screen and practically handed it back to me.

After xmas and the new year I decided to go back and speak to the store manager and politely express my experience with his Genius team. He kindly listened and apologizes for the inconvenience caused and instantly rebooked my Macbook Pro in for further testing on the 10/01/2016. I am not confident in their statement about ‘further testing and diagnostics will be carried out’ as the overheating issues were unchanged.

Second Visit to Apple Store:

Went into Apple Store on the 10/01/2016 for the following:

Existing Problem:

1: MacBook Pro overheats intermittently under non-strenuous usage. For example:

• Using the Photos application and viewing my photos
  • Using Spotify to play my music in the background
  • The spinning colour wheel would appear and the machine would be non responsive for approx. 1 minute
  • Using Safari to brows the Internet and view YouTube and Vimeo videos.

Spoke to Genius technician Employee:

He had asked me to use the machine as I would normally to see if the above issue reoccurs. So I did exactly that and the machine clearly showed the issues of overheating as the fans started to spin at full speed and the top plate started to get very hot.

The Genius technician agreed to my overheating problem as he self experienced the issues first hand. He ran a command ‘-uptime’ to see how long the machine was running and it showed 47 minutes. He did explain this is unusual and that the fans need to be replaced. He than sent me a ‘work authorization email’ instantly, displaying the cost of the left and right fan, which was under warranty.

Employee notes on email:

( Issue: customer states that's when he is running his Mac using it normally it starts to over heats and then the fan kick running at fast speed.

Steps to Reproduce: Ask the customer to use the Mac as he would at home or work, so I can see the issue for my self. Touching the upper case could feel the heat and the fans were running fast due to the heat build up inside the Mac
Cosmetic Condition: scuff marks on the bottom case, rest of the Mac is in well keep condition

Customer has back up and understand that there could be changes of lost data due to repair, therefore we are not hold responsible to any lost data due to repair.

Proposed Resolution:
- Run cooling drags and triage, try find out why it's over heating.
- Estimated Turn Around Time: We'll call you in 3 - 5 days)

Final Result:

Received email confirmation stating machine is repaired and is ready for collection on 12/1/2016.

Received a call from (Genius Technician) and she stated that she has carried out a number of tests which put the system under stress and found no abnormal operational activity. I am a little confused as to why I was told in confirmation that my fans will be changed and then did not end up being replaced.

In my frustration I took the MacBook back and ever since, I have been experiencing the same overheating issues.

My questions to you all are:

1: How can I get this issue resolved?
2: Am I allowed to request all testing diagnostics notes and any correspondence regarding my machine for my personal records?

Any and all help is very much appreciated.

Kind Regards

J

Last edited:
Did you buy it from Apple direct? If so take it back and ask for a new machine as it's got a consistent fault they have been unable to fix. Quote SOGA if you need to.

If it wasn't Apple return it to the company you purchased it from for a replacement or refund again quote SOGA if you need to. If they offer to repair, say Apple have already tried and failed. You want the machine replaced for a new one.

Obviously make sure you take a full backup with Time Machine first and note down your serial numbers etc to ensure you don't get the same machine back.

One last point. Have you tried a fresh install of OS X (not restoring any of your files and data) to see if the issue still occurs? Just to rule out a software fault.

Thank you for the reply.

I have bought it from Currys in store. I have tried a fresh install this is one of the first things I tried before taking it into Apple in the hopes to getting the issues sorted and still no evident changes were made. The machine still over heats as and when it feels like and then the fans start to spin at full speed.

It has been over a year now and my question is am I in my legal rights to ask for a replacement or a full refund from Currys?

Reason why I ask is because I would like to avoid waiting and wasting time for further testing only be then told they could not find any faults with it.

At the time of purchase, I took out the Apple 3 years extended cover luckily enough but to my demise its not really gone so smoothly.

What annoys me is why was I told in confirmation that my fans will be changed and then did not end up being replaced. When I did finally go to collect the machine from Apple, I asked for a copy of the tests and the test results which had been carried out. I also asked for the name of the technician of whom carried out the tests on my machine but to my disappointment I was denied all this information.

Am I allowed to request all testing diagnostics notes and any corrispondance regarding my machine for my personal records?

Thanks
J

Ok well if you have 3 years full Applecare cover and as Apple have already attempted to fix it. Perhaps best to stick with them for resolution.

I'd take it back to Apple with a print out of all the above points and say you're not happy with the machine and the repairs attempted. You'd like a new replacement Macbook and they can then repair your broken one properly at their leisure. Be polite but firm and I'm sure they will replace it for you. It's not fair to keep you waiting again and again for repairs for a issue they have identified but that aren't resolving the problem.

I doubt fan replacement would fix it anyway, they're just doing what they're supposed to cutting in when the temperature rises to an unacceptably high level.

MacrosTheBlack - A friend of mine did mention to give Apple 3 opportunities to rectify the same problem and after that you can demand an exchange. I am not sure about the laws we have uni place around this matter.

It has already come to a stage where I am sick and tired of going into the Apple store only to re tell my issues and problems I am facing with their product. I think I have lost hope and faith in Apple as I feel I have been pushed from post to pillar and still getting nowhere.

1: Should I give them the benefit of the doubt and take it in for the 3rd and final time for the same issue?

JayCee - The genius tech did mention that there is an evident problem as he herd it for himself at the time of their tests which was carried out infant of me. He did mention that the fans should not be spinning at full speed under non strenuous usage at all. There seems to be excessive heat build up inside the machiene causing the fans to activate and run at full speed and also makes the system non responsive for about 1 min or so.

I would go back but make it clear you want the machine replaced now. Not repaired and returned to you, as you've waited long enough and need a reliable Macbook now.

For a comparison, my 2012 15" Macbook Pro Retina has next to no fan noise in normal use. If I use a program like handbrake then the fans will kick into high spin mode as that's very processor intensive, immediately returning to normal when it's finished.

Like I say, be polite, but firm. Don't leave the store until it's resolved to your satisfaction.

I would go back but make it clear you want the machine replaced now. Not repaired and returned to you, as you've waited long enough and need a reliable Macbook now.

For a comparison, my 2012 15" Macbook Pro Retina has next to no fan noise in normal use. If I use a program like handbrake then the fans will kick into high spin mode as that's very processor intensive, immediately returning to normal when it's finished.

Like I say, be polite, but firm. Don't leave the store until it's resolved to your satisfaction.

The issue is that my fans start to spin at full speed and the top plate starts to warm up only after browsing my images using the 'Photos' application. This I am sure should not be so strenuous on the machine what soever.

Would Apple not ask me to go and take it back to where I purchased the product from?

If this is the case then I think I am in a battle with Curry's?

Update:

I called the citizens advice helpline and I was advised to stop my dealings with Apple and start dealing with Curry's.

I explained them everything I have listed above and was told to write a letter of the faulty goods you have purchased from Currys. Clearly explaining:

- The issues with the Macbook and provide the email notes provided by Apple on their work authorisation emails and explain to them that Apple has failed to resolve the issues. To also write and add the following:

- As Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) goods you supply m

ust be of satisfactory quality, be fit for purpose and Match their description
link3.gif
. As there was a problem with the goods when I bought them, I request that you provide me with a replacement, refund or exchange.

I must send it to Curry's head office and demand a reply within 14 days.

I had similar with a Sony Viao laptop bought from Macro (non-SOCA business to business purchase), the Sony had a known fault and Macro are 'difficult' with returns but all credit to them they gave me a brand new Sony Viao laptop (cheaper machine) and refunded the difference, this was after about 18months and outside of warranty.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Just to update you all: in the hopes to get this rectified and before battling with Currys. [/FONT]

I booked the MBP in again for the 3rd and final time with my local Apple store. I was firm but respectful in my explanation of the existing issues and how its not being rectified. I spoke with the Apple genius tech guy and explained, that I have come in a number of times for the same issue and I strongly believe that there is a fundamental issues here.

He asked for me to use the MBP as I would at home and work, so I did just that and the fans started to speed up and spin at full speed. He to looked baffled and could not understand what was going on as all I had loaded was "Spotify" in the background and at the same time viewing images in "Photos" application. In just doing this the fans switched on and the top plate across the "esc" to the "power" key was very hot. (At work I have a number of presentations open and word documents open)

He than ran a MRI test which passed at this stage the fans were still on and the MBP was hot. He mentioned that this could possibly be a logic board issue.

At which point he taps away on his ipad and then sends me another "work authorization" email stating the long list of problems I described to him and the problem he thinks it could be which is the logic board. The email stated the cost of the logic board along and labor to complete the repair.

So I did make clear to him that in any case if I receive the MBP back and start to experience the same problems I would have no other option other than to escalate and seek legal advice.

I believe he understood the situation as clear as I explained.

So lets hope Apple now on their 3rd and final try can resolve this issue. Ill update you on my results soon as I hear back from Apple.

All I ever wanted was a perfectly working MBP without any problems :( I bet if this was a iPhone they would have no problems in changing it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom