Please Help: MA RS6, GS LCR and B & W CM 1 & 7

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by petetherock, Dec 28, 2006.

1. petetherock

petetherock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    Dear mates,
    I really hope to get some help please.

A couple of month ago, I had cleaned out my system, leaving only the amp, a Marantz SR 12 (THX 7.1 120 pc) plus a newly acquired SVS PB12+.

I was going to build a system around the Monitor Audios, either the RS 6, RS LCR and dipoles from the Bronze series.

Or a triple Monitor Audio GS LCR front plus the dipoles from the Bronze series.

Then someone popped the thought of the CM series from B & W into my head and I have had my plans thrown into chaos! CM centre, CM 7 fronts.

Worse, someone also told me about a certain Epos 12.2 although they aren't famous for home theatre action.

So please, put me out of my dilema, and help me suggest
    One of the above, or an equivalent purchase?

Please bear in mind, down under we do not have internet based companies, but the major speakers can usually be found.

My listening experience will be mainly 70% HT 30% music, and the space is 5 by 7m by 3m, with some furniture.

Thanks

Pete

PS: I have not heard many people use a LCR kind of front, so is that wrong?

2. djjimbob

djjimbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I've got 2x MA RS6 at the front, with an RS LCR centre and 2x RS1 at the back.

It's excellent, but your room is a touch bigger than mine.

RSW12 sub as well. Meaty little bugger it is.

3. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,092
    As you are mainly into HT why are you not considering the SVS SB01 speakers.

The SB01 are truly amazing for the price and will most likely be better than the speakers you are currently considering as they are more suited to music based systems.

Plus save yourself some wonga.

4. petetherock

petetherock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    Thanks for the feedback.

I read on a seperate thread that the RS series benefits from a hand-me-down tweeter from the old GR series, so it may be enough and i save some $$.

The SBS speakers are nice, but a - they cost too much in Australia (markup is abysmal) and they are a bit small for my room.

I had the MA Bronze 2 and the new owner compared them to his old Thiel 2.6 and found them better (of course the Thiels were 10 years old).

But... someone told me the CM1 is magical too :( sigh....

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    if your amp can power them, definitely look at the MA GS speakers! i cant compare them to the B&W CM range as i havnt heard the CM's, but i can say the GS are more than worth the extra over the RS (and the RS are damn good anyhow...lol)....

LCR = Left Centre Right by the way, to mean they can be used in any of those positions....heh

so 3 x GS LCR's for the front, i would say please if you do go for FX rears go for either RS or GS, not the Bronzes.....although it isnt so important to match them as critically as it is the centre to the fronts, you will still notice a difference with speakers from price ranges so different (£200 for a pair of BFX, £500 for a single GS LCR...heh)......

alternatively, consider a pair of GS10's to free up some cash to put towards the rears.....with your PB12+ sub (which i own myself) you can happily set the amps xover to 80hz and the GS10's will provide plenty of welly ;)

i used mine for a little while when i first got them (in my case GR10's) on my Denon 3803 amp while i waited to get a good stereo amp for them, and watched Mr & Mrs Smith and wow.....i so wished i had the matching centre...lol..good as my Silver S series MA centre is, it just couldnt keep up with the GR10's....

your room is a bit bigger than mine tho, mines 12x17x9ft, similar sort of height, but you got a couple meters more width and another one or two length.....so perhaps a GSLCR setup might be best, that extra driver giving a bit more punch....

if you went with RS by the way, consider a pair of RS8's, your room is certainly big enough to warrant them ;)

6. petetherock

petetherock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    Thanks, I hadn't had too many replies on using 3 LCR,
    I wanted to go with them as the tone would be totally matching, esp since they are selaed boxes compared to the rest of the GS series.
    But once I commit to them, I don't have a lot of spare cash for the rears.
    I may 'steal' back my old Eltax HT2 bipoles from a girlfriend first, then save for some RS FX then :)

Also by using the LCR as stereo pairs, I get a fuller sound - I hope when I turn off the sub for a pure source direct.

I think my SR 12 can handle it, it was once rated as one of the most powerful yet musical amps around.

Just for comparison (if I can't list prices tell me and I will remove them)
    CM 1 - GBP a papir 470
    GS LCR - GBP 300 a piece
    GS 10 - GBP 550 a pair

(I was hoping to get some good deals on the Bronze rears, now that they are discontinued)

7. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    not sure what the CM's go for, but the GS LCR is GP£500 per single speaker (so £1,500 for all 3) and the GS10's are £800 a pair...thats in england anyhow

if where you are the GS LCR's work out to only £300 each then deffo go for that option!!...lol

and yes, do save up a little for the RSFX or even the GSFX if you can (altho those are a LOT more expensive...as in over twice the price here, but then they are a mono/bi/dipole switchable set i believe...i wish...lol)

8. petetherock

petetherock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    lol

I guess down under somethings are priced less painfully...
    Thats why I envy those on stateside with the plethora of speakers at amazing prices.

Some deals are decent, like I just bought a PSB Alpha setup for a mate, front towers and centre for less than GBP 200.

BTW don't laugh ok, I plan to press a pair of Mission M30i for my surround rears.

I am glad that my SR 12 has 7.1 input, so I can employ them for the new HD technology, seems Tru HD is a serious upgrade!