1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help...looking for a TV with onboard 5.1 decoder/amp.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by cookie2112, Aug 16, 2004.

1. cookie2112

cookie2112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would VERY MUCH like to get an inexpensive TV with an optical and digital INPUT (one from SKY+, one from DVD player) then connect my speakers up to a 5.1 OUTPUT. That way I can control all volume from my TV, and won't have to switch inputs as it will all come through TV?

Surely there are such sets around, but i'll be damned if i can find them.

I will be very grateful for any assistance.

THANKS

2. Donos

Donos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Loewe TV with the optional Integral Dolby module which I'm very happy with. Comparing your requirements :-

(1) Digital Optical Inputs :- Yes. Loewe TV has 2 Optical inputs which can be "bound" to any of the three SCARTs ... over-riding the SCART audio pins.

(2) 5.1 Speaker Output :- Yes and No. Loewe TV Dolby Module has 5.1 outputs ... but line level signal only. You can then use active speakers (as I do), or passive speakers via an external power amp. Using a separate external power amp is possibly not the most elegant solution (extra box), but at least it doesn't cause extra complication in use ... you don't need a separate remote control if you go for a power amp with auto-power-on option (like the Rotel RMB-1066)

By the way, the on-board speaker can act as the Centre channel, so that you only need external front and rear speakers (and 4-channel power amp or 2*2-channel power amps, if using passive speakers).

Two restrictions you might want to consider :-

(1) Loewe 5.1 module is Dolby Digital only ... no DTS capability.

(2) You will need to have TV turned on to play CDs (on DVD player). The Loewe "Radio Mode" option allows you to dim the screen, but takes a bit of getting used to. (Personally, I don't use DVD for CD playback :- I went for the Loewe Active speakers, which also include passive inputs, which I feed directly from my music system ... bypassing the TV for stereo playpack).

Final thought ... Loewe is not obvious solution when you look for an "inexpensive TV". But you might pick up an ex-demo bargain (e.g. mountainsnow.co.uk, or exdem.com).

3. cookie2112

cookie2112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks Donos,

I currently have the AEGO5 surround sound and would have no problems connecting upthe processor, selrcting the TV input and chucking it behind the TV :)
    The damn things too bright with all its LED's to be on show anyway. But for this would need to connect the 5.1 output from the TV to the optical/digital input on the processor. Not sure if this is a suitable solution in that respect.
    But you seem to know a lot more than me !!

4. cookie2112

cookie2112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To add to this I expect digital & optical in, digital/optical out would work also!

There must be more sets on the market (even 2nd hand, I know Hitachi used to make them), please if anyone knows anuything Please Post.

Thanks

5. Donos

Donos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi cookie2112,

From your 2nd post I see you want to keep the AEGO5 in the equation, but to feed everything into it via the TV (using a single digital audio feed).

I'm not familiar with the AEGO5, but I fear that even if you find a TV with this functionality, I'm not sure it'll achieve what your primary objective was :- to reduce the proliferation of remote controls. Using digital audio connector from TV to AEGO5 will mean that :-

(1) Your TV remote would be used to select source / channel
    (2) Your AEGO5 remote would be used to control volume (TV would have to be muted)

(The solution I discussed in my first post had discrete audio 5.1 outputs on the TV, so the TV's onboard DD processor's volume control worked ... with the solution you're describing, the TV's onboard audio output would be a fixed digital level, which would rely on the AEGO5 processor to control the volume).

If you really want to keep the AEGO5 and yet reduce the proliferation of remotes, have you thought about simply using a universal learning remote control, with Macro capabilities ?

You could define macros to perform multiple commands on the various units you have, to achieve the desired results. For instance :-

* "PLAY DVD" Macro :- Select TV video input (to be DVD player's video input) ... Mute TV ... Select AEGO5 Audio Input (to be DVD player's audio digital output) ... Define DVD playback control "buttons" ... Define AEGO5 Volume up/down "buttons"

* "PLAY TV" Macro :- Select TV video input (to be SKY video input) ... Mute TV ... Select AEGO5 Audio Input (to be SKY audio digital output) ... Define SKY channel selection "buttons" ... Define AEGO5 Volume up/down "buttons"

6. cookie2112

cookie2112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks Donos,

Good point, I have thought around the universal remote but would much rather the 'proper' fix.

I am still going to follow your initial solution. ie would like to keep my AEGO speakers (not the processor) connected to & controlled by the TV with DVD & SKY+ connected to TV coax inputs.

I have found a Philips with 4 audio outputs plus subwoofer, if I can assign the TV to be central speaker that should be fine. There MUST be a lot more about though???

7. crooksm

crooksm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Donos - I have the L2As (front) and L82As (rear) - I'm guessing you have the same/similar as active speakers are fairly thin on the ground.

I find the bass performance out of this setup to be great but am still mulling over adding a sub-woofer (Loewe or not). Just wondered if you had a sub with your setup and whether or not it added a huge difference over the above 5.0??

8. Donos

Donos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi crooksm,

Sorry for not getting back sooner ... I was on a week's family holidays.

Yes, as you guessed I have the L2As front and L82As rear ... and use Articos 32 internal speaker as Centre (not a perfect tonal match ... but there are very few situations where this is a real problem ... only when "panning" in an otherwise quiet passage ... and living without an extra centre speaker is a real win).

I think the L2As are fine speakers ... and I love the fact they have a separate passive input which I use with my 2-channel stereo ... where they perform very well in what is a reasonably decent audio setup.

Like you, I do not have a subwoofer ... the L2As go deep enough for me. I did get a loan of a Linn Classik Afekt from my dealer ... and it DID add an extra dimension to movie soundtrack special effects. However, I gave it back, as I reckoned that with 2 small kids that I wouldn't play at the levels at which (to my ear) a sub would be justifiable.

I reckoned I'd get much better value in my next upgrade by saving up for a combined HDD/DVDR unit ... probably a Pioneer 520 or 720 (unlike Panasonic, the Pioneers are suitable for Irish UHF/VHF broadcast frequencies). I will still keep the Xemix (for basic playback ... easy for all the family to use) but I'm not considering the Centros 1102 since (a) It's DVDR only ... no HDD option, and (b) I don't want remote control conflicts between Centros 1102 and Xemix