1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help! ixus 400 or Sony P10

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by vik, Sep 5, 2003.

1. vik

vik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know absolutely nothing about cameras!

Have been reading around trying to learn! wanted a small camera that can go with me on holiday - after reading the forums thought i would go for either....

Sony DSC P10
    Canon IXUS 400

Both of which are available at approx £330 (pricerunner and then jessops price match)

I cant decide which one is better though - I just want to be able to take nice pictures without having to play about with it too much.

Will basically be getting shops to print 7x5 pictures - just want the flexibility of chosing which shots i want and being able to retake immediately.

Please help .... my thoughts have been as follows:

Canon smaller and cheaper memory battery etc
    Sony 5Mpix - better pictures????

Please please help me! also let me know if you know anywhere cheaper!

2. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Hi vik

I have an IXUS 400 and I'm really happy with it. The software isn't too easy for the pc illiterate (ie me), but the camera is easy to use. I had an Olympus MJU300 for a bit and loved it's point and shoot easyness but wanted to learn abit and the IXUS had more featues. I get jessops to print out 7x5 and they look great!

Apparantly, a 2MP is good enough for A4 size so the difference between 4 and 5 isn't going to be much.

Lastly, what I was first told by the camera people: Electronics are easy to design, but lenses are not. Buy a camera made by a camera company, not an electronics company.

3. vik

vik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your mesasge - thats brilliant - think i had decided to go for the ixus as well!

do you mind me asking how much you got it for? or if you know anywhere good to get it from now?

Also i was going to buy a 512 memory card from ebuyer - do you know which make are best (and i read on a forum somewhere that it doesnt work with any memory greater than 256 is that true?)

any other advice as to where to buy camera, spare flash, spare battery and also a case!

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got mine for £335 form jessops on price match. go to www.pricerunner.com to get best price, print the page and telephone number of the site, and take it to jessops and they'll match it.

5. vik

vik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cool - thanks for that.... thats what i've done

what about - memory, battery etc? anywhere thats best for that?

dont midn paying a bit extra for memory thats reliable and faster

6. missin

missin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    vik

also got the ixus400 brilliant piece of kit
    got extra memory from this place

http://www.orcalogic.co.uk/

£55 for a 256mb 30x speed

7. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I got mine from digital-depot.co.uk - they had the best price at the time - Not so great now though.

Personally, I prefer 128 cards. If I lose/break a card, 256 would be too much data to lose.

Why is speed an issue?

8. vik

vik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that....

not sure how much difference the speed makes - didnt want to have to wait for ages between shots as camera is loading... i assumed it was like the harddrive of a computer - which you can get to run at different speeds.... is that not true? or is it simply not a noticeable difference?

I never thought about losing them... guess i am a bit naive like that... didnt want to carry 2 around - was even thinking of getting a 512 card!

am i right to say that a photo is normally about 1mb?

9. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Using a faster card can prove useful depending on the camera and how you use it. I've noticed inprovements when using Transcend cards (as missin's post) in quite a few cameras specially when shooting/writing a burst of shots and when downloading to a computer.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/mediacompare/default.asp

10. vik

vik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a complete amateur though - will only be taking simple holiday shots and pictures of family etc....

am i taking this a bit far? (I want to be more of an expert than i am....) shall i just buy the cheapest? i;d quite like it to be reliable though!

11. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
  12. vik

vik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cool - thanks for that mate

have seen viking card on ebuyer for a few pence cheaper - (£40) going to get it from there as am buying a pqi reader as well (quick find code 043758) for only £14 (6 in 1 and is USB 2) - looks like a really good deal.

256 - am i right to say that'll take about 200 photos?? so prob wont need any more cards will i?
    Going to buy both together to save on the postage!

13. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Most pictures on the highest setting are 1.5 - 2.5 MB. Depends how much is going on. According to the blurb, when you fill up a big card, thats when the writing speed starts to slow down. Also, over 1000 pics the camera starts to get confused.

14. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You don't want to place too much emphasis on card speeds.

For the average user, using a compact in the majority of situations, then you will be hard pressed to notice the difference.

If you are upgrading from a traditional compact, then the motor speed you have been used to will probably be slower than the writing speed of a new digital and card.

Don't let it be another thing to cloud your camera choice.

Big cards are fine, but you don't want to keep them full up by leaving pictures on them - just in case the card gets corrupted.

I would recommend always carying a second card just as a back up - it does not have to be as big as the main card as its just a bit of security.

Almost all the branded cameras will produce good results nowadays. Don't read too much into the reviews on lens sharpness and noise etc - they dont matter that much for point and shoot stuff and are well within acceptable levels.

Size and location of buttons, menu operations, start up time and most of all how it handles are the points to consider.

For an example, I recently bought a Pentax Optio S insted of the Ixus 400. Now this has well documented lens softness compared to others in the price range, and some other in use issues. I would have preferred the Canon as I could use my existing CF cards, and I am familar with the menus and controls.

However, the size of the unit means that I will always have it with me in a pocket, and I could not say that for any of the larger cameras. For me, a slightly softer picture is much better than no picture at all.

And, I can not see that much difference to the prints from the Optio than those with my other bigger (and supposedly better) cameras.

For memory cards check out www.crucial.com/uk , www.7dayshop.com , and www.ebuyer.com

woody

15. vik

vik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers woody

bought the ixus in the end - i looked at the pentax optio 550 - which had good reviews but was too big.

going to go for 256 card - and also a reader so should only really fill it up when on holiday. Other than that will be saving it to hard drive on pc (and then getting printed)

This is my first digi camera - only ever used 35mm before

I agree with you re picture quality - i am an amateur who just wants reasonable pictures of holidays, family and friends.....

portability was a major major thing for me and taking nice pictures (nice - as in good quality clear shots - not perfect ones!)

I previously bought an expensive 35mm camera and never used the features on it - am going to try and make sure that i make teh most of this one!!!!

Vik