1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help isolate noise issue with AVR2805

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by anotherdavid, Aug 24, 2005.

1. anotherdavid

anotherdavid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I have recently noticed moved my equipment and have since noticed a hiss in my speakers when playing some digital sources... I'm pretty sure it's actually inside the AMP, but would appreciate anyone else's thoughts. I have tried to isolate it as follows (driving myself mad in the process!)

- I first noticed it playing a DVD via coax digital output.

- I switched the Coax out to Optical but still had the hiss

- I switched to another DVD Player and still had the hiss

- If I paused the DVD player I got the hiss, but if I switched the Amp to ext-in, the hiss went away, and if I switched back to digital I didn't have any hiss until i un-paused the DVD (I guess the amp had no signal, so no surprise there)

If I pulled out the optical cable (while paused) and then plugged it back in, the hiss went away (until I un-paused the DVD)

I switched to CD connected by Optical and didn't have any hiss. (this is whereI started to get really confused!)

I then though the Amp might be having trouble with DD or DTS, so i switched the amp to stereo output when playing DVD and still got hiss...

Sorry for the long post but I would really like some input to help get this sorted.

cheers David

2. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    If you have a 2805, the Room EQ and tone circuits both generate large amounts of hiss. Make sure tone defeat is set to on, and room EQ is set to off - see if that fixes it. It's difficult to track down with digital inputs as the amp effectively mutes when it isn't seeing a valid bitstream, which kills any hiss immediately.

3. anotherdavid

anotherdavid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thankyou so much spl23

:clap:

room eq was set to Front - I set it to Off, and the hiss has all but disappeared!

funny i never noticed the hiss before, 'cause i've had room eq set to front for a while now..

anyway, thanks again - very happy now !

David

4. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    No problem - I had exactly the same issue on my 3805 last week when I turned it up! Spent a good fifteen panic-stricken minutes trying to find the cause...