Please Help - I'm getting 5.1 EX on STRDB1070 ?!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Craig_Nike, Oct 20, 2001.

1. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know most of you guys are Denon crazy but I have just noticed that my SONY STRDB1070 seems to be able to read THX 5.1 EX !

In the THX set up section in Episode 1 the test tone sends a noise to the Surround Rear and the 1070 is sending it out perfectly. (In 'Normal Surround' setting with 6.1 selected).
    I expected it to down-mix to standard 5.1 and have the noise coming from SL & SR - but no.

Also in the next section (phase) it speicifically notes that in a non EX system the noise will go to the SL & SR, but my system goes directly to the SB.

Now this is great - but Sony don't claim EX compatibility with this unit !
    Am I getting this all wrong ? Is it EX playing or some sort of Sony's DCS doing this ?

Can anybody explain what is going on please ?
    Can any 1070 owners check DTS discrete 6.1 disks (I dont have one) to see if the same thing happens ?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have a Sony 1070 but don't have the extra rear speaker yet. I have noticed that on certain region 4 DVD's it claims to be decoding in 6.1 when it shouldn't be.

One example is Woodstock and another is Outbreak, neither of which is supposed to be 6.1 but the amp "claims" to be decoding that format.

When and if I ever get that third rear speaker I will know what it is actually decoding as opposed to what it is claiming.

Ian

3. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian - thanks for the reply.
    I dont want to insult you by telling you something you already know but I'm pretty sure that when you see "6.1 decoding" on the display it is just when the Sony DSP is matrixing sound from the SR & SL into the SB channel.
    So if you have it on AFD it will automatically select standard 5.1, but if you put it on "Cinema Studio EX" or another of the Sony DCS functions it will matrix out its own SB and tell you there is noise going to the SB with the "Decoding 6.1" message.

You can turn off 6.1 decoding in the set up menu (button under the flap).

My surprise here is that I dont think SONYs DSP can extract THX SB but it seems to be doing it ?!

Mate have you got any ideas where I can get a 1070 destrucions manual on the net ? I have lost mine.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have mine set on auto decode and it is only a couple of region 4 dvd's that it tells me it is decoding in 6.1. All others it says are DD and decodes in 5.1.

I am not particularly technical but the instruction manual seems pretty vague about the extra rear channel. The implication is that it reads EX but doesn't decode it discretely but uses a matrix decoder.

Ian

5. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Yep, that's what is does. DD EX is a matrix system, so that's right. Sony can't use the DD EX name, as that is only for THX certified amps - so they just call it a 6.1 system.

It can't do DTS ES Discrete, but will do DTS ES matrixed.

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hm, it says 6.1 decoding on the Singapore webpage, so I assume it's Dolby Digital Ex compatible (THX or not).
    Don't forget that DD Ex / DTS Es is sometimes called 6.1 but it's not true 6.1, only DTS Es Discrete is - which would not work on your amp though it may default to DTS Es (matrix).

BTW: I checked on a few global Sony websites, finding product information is a pain in the ***. And when you find it it says nothing.
    AV Amps and Receiver belong under AV Equipment and not Hifi or other strange headers - Sony, take note!

7. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

I am very pleased my receiever is capable of decoding EX and ES. It is very strange that Sony aren't much clearer about these abilities/features ?

Anybody know where I can get another instruction manual online or anything ?
    Sony contacts for manuals are asking for $60 !