1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help!!!! I'm about to completely loose it......

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by The Sheriff, Aug 12, 2004.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Right i've been pis :censored: ng about with my computer all afternoon trying to get the bl :censored: dy pj to display the correct resolution the way i want it to and now i'm at the point where its gonna go flying out the window in a minute. Fu :censored: ing s :censored: it bag b :censored: ard pile of wa :censored: k toss f :censored: k bo :censored: ocks.

My pj is a Philips Garbo Matchline which is connected to my htpc via a lindy vga cable, connected to the secondary output of my Radeon 9800pro via the dvi to vga converter. My primary monitor is an LG 17" TFT also connected via vga. Now what i want is to be able to have my desktop displayed on my tft in 1280x1024 but then be able to switch monitors to my pj and display the desktop at its native resolution of 848x480 for when i'm watching a dvd or playing games.

My current situation is that i've got powerstrip set up with a custom resolution for the pj of 848x480 and have saved the display profile as "Philips Garbo Matchline Projector". I've also got another profile saved as "LG LCD Panel" with the 1280x1024 resolution. Also currently in powerstrip i've got mulitple monitors disabled (do i need to change this????). Now under the display settings of my desktop i've got my primary monitor (LG Panel) set to the resolution of 1280x1024, but i can't select 848x480 for my secondary monitor even though i set it up in powerstrip, the closest option there is is 854x480 (why is this????). Now the other thing is under advanced settings for the LG panel i can get into the catalyst drivers settings (v, and under display it has the scheme "Default Single Display" with a picture of 2 monitors underneath, one is enable and displaying 1280x1024 while the other is disabled.

Like i said i was messing about with all these settings for about 3 hours which was a complete waste of time cos i didn't get anywhere, anyway i finally set them back to what i've just listed above in the hope that someone could guide me to the settings i want from here.

Please help, its driving me mad and i'm at the stage where if i don't get it sorted soon, the hc is going out the window!!!!!

Nick

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi,

Dual outputs isn't my bag, but this looks like it could be a problem as could this:

You should be able to get the pc to recognise that it has two displays for a start.

I know Kramer runs twin displays and answered a similar question recently - do a search under this forum for his posts and you'll probably unearth some more info.

Sean G.

3. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanx for the heads up but i've been unable to find the post you were refering to.

Anway subsequently to my previous rant i've been having another go at setting it up and have managed to clone me desktop to display on both monitors with the same resolution at the same time. The problem now is i can clone the 1280x1024 res onto both monitors fine (with the pj looking ****) but when i try and get the pj's native res onto both monitors which i set up with powerstrip (it is 854x480, not 848 which i previously thought) it sets it as the correct res in display properties but on the pj and monitor screen menus its displayed as 640x480. Why does it do this and not give me the res i want?????

Nick

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi again.........

In Display Properties/Settings/Advanced/Monitor, untick the box that says "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" - this could be stopping the non-standard (854x480) res from being displayed. Alternatively, you might need to installa monitor driver that will accept a widescreen resolution - Sony GDM-W900 is the one I've used, you can just select it if you're running XP, or download it Here if you want.

Sean.

Edit:.......... Click Here for the thread dealing with two monitor output - I'm not sure if it will tell you any more than you already know.

S.

5. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi Mate,

I'm not clear on whether you had 848x480 displaying on your PJ at any point, or just set it up on your primary monitor?

I'm pretty sure you will need multiple monitors enabled too.

Have you tweaked the timing parameters in Powerstrip or just used one of the default settings?

6. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Can the two monitors be set to different resolutions or do they have to be the same res. I have no idea but just thought I would throw an idea into the mix, feel free to ignore me if I'm talking drivel. :blush:

7. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Apparently you cannot have 2 monitors displaying different res's at the same time unless you have extended desktop running on one, this doesn't work with clone mode. You can however use a hot key that switches between monitors which i presume can also be set up to change the res when the switch is made, but i could be wrong. Anyway on my setup i tried using the hot key but it didn't work.

In powerstrip i just used one of the preset resolutions with the timings already input, idealy i would like to have the correct timings for my garbo pj but i don't know where i would find these. I'll try what you suggested theritz and see what happens, but i can select the resolution i want in display properties it just doesn't feed it to the pj so i don't know if it will help.

Nick

8. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just tried messing with the resolutions and if i feed the pj a res of 640x480, on its menu it displays 854x480 which is the native resolution. I don't understand this at all....

Nick

9. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    When watching dvd's through windvd 6 at that res (854x480 according to pj menu) the picture looks really bad, like the edges of objects have jagged lines etc. However when i set the res to 800x600 the dvd picture looks a lot better but the aspect ratio is wrong ie in widescreen mode the image still looks too narrow. Please can someone help as i would really like to get this sorted out!

Nick

10. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Superhuman,

Didn't spot your post yesterday...... you seem to be having a torrid time with this; You could try sending a PM to Chris Frost, a member here - he might be able to shed some light on the situation, in terms of what the Garbo will accept. settings etc.

Have you tried connecting the pc only to the projector ? First connect pc to monitor, get the widescreen resolution (848x480) working on that, then connect the PC to the projector...... I've been able to get 848x480 working on a laptop with built in Rage Graphics, once I loaded up the Sony widescreen monitor driver..... It might help to simplify the situation by getting it to accept the resolution normally before trying to implement dual monitors.

Sean.

11. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    To let you know my current situation now, i'm running the pj as the extended desktop at 800x600 with my monitor at 1280x1024. I've managed to get windvd 6 to display the correct resolution on the pj (changed some settings) so that i get an anamorphic picture which when the pj is in widescreen mode gives me a correct image. I would be quite happy to just leave my setup like that as most of the time the picture quality is quite good, i have however noticed that on scenes with lots of action the picture gets quite choppy and sometimes a line appears like the picture is scrolling downwards. Is this to do with the computer scaling the image to fit the 800x600 resolution? I guess if it is then doing 1:1 pixel matching at 854x480 would solve this problem (if i can ever get it to work), i guess i may have just answered my own question.

Any apart from all those res problems windvd has now decided not to play any sound when set to spdif pass through which i had working fine before. Even when it was working though it always seemed to be having problems, like whenever i inserted a dvd and ran windvd it would play automatically but with no sound, so i would have to stop the dvd then hit play again to get it to work (not a major problem but a bit frustrating). Anone else experienced this problem???

I have now pm'ed chris about the powerstrip settings so hopwfully will hear from him soon.

Keep the advice coming!

Nick

12. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Jeez, you're really having a fun time....... :eek:

First things first..... sound and SPDIF problems are usually soundcard conflict issues..... I have Windvd (Platinum, I think) but practically never use it - I prefer Powerdvd so I can't say whether Windvd6 is an issue with SPDIF - you could do some searching over on the HTPC forum on avsforum, if it's a known problem someone over there will have come across it.

The vertical line you're getting sounds like "tearing" to me, and no you shouldn't be seeing it. Sending the pj 800x600 and doing an anamorphoc squeeze/whatever is really a poor secondbest to pixel-perfect.

I stick by my last advice.... if 1:1 on the projector is your goal, then I'd suggest getting it sorted out on the projector alone first, then sort out running dual monitors. I hope that Chris can shed some light on the situation for you.

Sean.

13. alfaman

alfaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to butt in,

My Nvidia GF5200 does all this out of the box

I run it in desktop mode with one monitor (secondary) @ 1024x768 and this
    has all the apps on it Nvidia desktop manager is set up to redirect all
    windows to it. The primary screen is 848x480 (stanadrd nvidia mode) and I use video overlay mode to get my blackgold TV, WMP9 and WinDVD to display on the TV full screen whats going in a window on the other screen.

Of course you can always drag and drop a window between desktops - for xample slideshows.

It's not totally perfect but it's pretty neat.

Simon.

14. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    I know nothing about your Philips, but I do have a radeon (dual vga) and have no problem driving a 16:9 screen, and 4:3 TFT screen, simultaneously.

I've had to configure it a few times, and the way it seems to work is if I first get the 16:9 resolution working in powerstrip (eg. 848x480), and make sure it's the primary display (in the ati control panel). Then it's just a case of extending the desktop to the second display (TFT), and choosing the appropriate resolution.

When configuring the custom resolution in powerstrip, I usually add the resolution, and then reboot immediately (ie. at the prompt), then select the new resolution again in powerstrip (and it should say something like "windows has accepted the new resolution, do you wish to try switching to it now", to which I reply "yes", and then it works, and I save the resolution as a shortcut). If you don't get the message saying windows has accepted the new resolution, it has failed.

However, this is a dual VGA connection. I have no idea whether custom resolutions will work over a DVI connection. Also, I guess the projector may not be designed to accept a 848x480 signal - so it would be useful to hear from someone who has successfully configured a custom resolution on the philips.

15. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    I have just tried the inbuilt powerstrip resolution of 856x480 (HDTV derived), and it worked fine for me. Which perhaps doesn't prove very much, except that at least the timing is valid in powerstrip (I couldn't find 854x480).

16. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I dunno. I have got the res of 854x480 as a selectable res, it just puts my pj in 640x480. I contacted chris but he has no help to offer, doesn't know htpc's apparently :(

Nick

17. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Is there a "Wide Mode" or a "16x9" mode (or similar) in the set-up menu of of the projector ? Sound like the projector thinks it's getting a 4:3 signal..... can't locate a users manual online to check....

Sean.

18. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Na its no good, its bullet to the head time, now where is my gun......

Right i've come to the conclusion that when i switch to a widescreen res such as 854x480, that is the res i get displayed, even if the monitor doesn't say so, as i tried this on my lg monitor and the picture was all stretched out, meaning that if it had a ws setting then it would look ok.

What is happening when i get the res on my pj is that the virtical res fits the screen fine (480) but the horizontal res doesn't (854), the sides of the image get cut off. Now again that doesn't make any sense as the pj is supposed to support the resolution, so.....now where was that gun? However when i send a res of 1280x768 to the pj it does fit the screen, and give me a widescreen image, obviously the only problem here being the image looks rubbish.

I'm telling you i wouldn't recomend this pj and htpc route to anyone, i'm about ready to pack it all in and go back to my 14" and vcr!

Nick

19. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Stick with it.................... if the pj can accept a native resolution then it's worth doing. You could try doing some rooting around on homecinema.fr (French forum) - if your french isn't up to it, just use babelfish - the translations are iffy, but all you're looking for is someone who's done 1:1 with the Garbo, or someone who can confirm that it can't be done.............. there might be nore experience of the projector over there.

Sean.

20. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    helphelphelphelphelphelphelphelphelphelphelphelphelphelphelp

21. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Plllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

22. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Right i think i may be on my way to solving the problem. Had another word with chris and he suggested altering the refresh rate. I tried setting the refresh rate to 110Hz which i think is the pj's max, at 854x480 and it seems to be displaying it properly now. PC text looks a bit dodgy now i.e not very readable, is this normal?

I tried playing a dvd using powerdvd 3 and it fit the screen ok but the picture wasn't great, the objects on screen all had jagged edges. Upgraded to powerdvd 6 and the picture looks better but the jaggies are still there. Any ideas?

Nick

23. paul1672

paul1672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    see the other thread regrading dual monitor set-ups mate.not sure if it will be any good for you as it is a slightly different circumstance due to different graphics card (radeon 9600).you need to d/load a program called ultramon and from there it was straightforward for me.
    give it a go,any probs pm me and i'll try give you a hand.
    worth a go.
    paul

24. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I don't really have a problem with getting dual monitors, its getting the correct resolution on my pj which is a pig.

Thanx anyway.

Nick

25. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Again in addition to my previous post about resolutions, i have finally settled on a res of 856x480 at 100Hz as apparently i shouldn't use 110Hz, and 854x480 kept being altered in powerstrip to 848x480 and the image still didn't fit the screen properly.

Only problem now is with the jaggies on dvd playback!

Nick

26. paul1672

paul1672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    i'm not really sure what you mean.
    i am assuming you mean you can't get the correct powerstrip settings for the displays????
    all i know is that ultramon lets you set two different resolutions/refresh rates on two different displays at the same time mate.
    something ati control panel/hydravision doesn't allow.

27. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You can do it if you use extended desktop which is what i am using and it works fine for me,

Thanx anyway.

Nick