Please help! I need some advice.

wattwatt

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been hunting around the forum and reading suggestions and reviews for about 5 months now and still am no further in updating my AV system setup, my problem is I keep adding HD kit in but keeping my old AV setup.

I'm currently running a Samsung 40" LCD screen (only 1HD input), Sony PS3, Amstrad sky+ HD (upgraded last week and loving it), I also plug my MacBook in via HD as well and a Sony STR-DB930 (getting very old) and some panasonic tallboy speakers off an old all in one setup hence the real need to upgrade the AV part.....

My budget is probably around £800-1000 for both and i would like 7.1 I love good bass in a setup so the subwoofer is quite important to me.

My selection of amp's so far is the Onkyo sr607, Sony str da1000 and the Sony da-2400es and maybe the Denon kits but don't know much about them and I haven't even looked at speakers to join the setup.

As you can see very confused about what to do so any help would be grateful so thanks in advance....

Dan

Please check this out guys and give me a little more advice
http://www.avforums.com/forums/memb...1157406-my-christmas-set-up.html#post11136995

Last edited:
These guys might have a deal on the 2400ES/Kef 2005. Give them a ring for a price.

I wouldn't rule out Denon and Yamaha. This years Denons have been very well received and the Yamaha RX-V1065 is currently reduced from £700+ to £500. So I would add the Denon AVR-1910 and Yamaha RX-V1065 to your list. With the remainer of your budget, have a look at the Monitor Audio Radius R90 based setup (petertyson still have stock), Monitor Audio Vector and the Q-Acoustics 1010i system and new 2000 package. You can add to these to make your system 7.1 if you have a room large enough to accommodate such a setup. I don't know what the sub is like in the new QA 2000 setup but the sub in the 1000 series was often described as the weak link in the system. Another package to have a listen to would be the Wharfedale Diamonds. The 9 series is discounted now the 10 series is out. Both are well regarded speaker systems.

If buying online, ring for the best price first as I've found you can get better prices this way.

If you could up the budget, a separate subwoofer such as BK XLS200 would come into play.

Do you have a dealer nearby where you can demo both amp and speakers at the same time?

Have you considered the £500 Yamaha RXV1065?

The RXV1065 has a recommended retail price of £750 and features all the bells and whistles you'd expect to find on an AV amp at that price point. Its nearest comparable competitor is the £800 Denon AVR2310. THe Yamaha RXV1065 would surpass any of the amps you've mentioned or any AV amp in the sub £500 price bracket.

YAMAHA RXV1065 HOME CINEMA AMPLIFIER - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/5382 for details

I'd also suggest you look at the Q Acoustics 2000 5.1 speaker package or Mordaunt Short Alumni 5.1. Both packages can be had for about £500. There's also the Roth OLi 5.1 package, again for about £500.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys, Right after reading through the details I am really liking the Yamaha system which After clicking your link dave I've found that the HI-SPEC shop is extremely local to me so i'm going to head down there this week and have a listen to both the Yamaha 1065 and the Sony 2400ES?

I do have one question regarding the amp on the back of the Yamaha its got 4 HDMI inputs 1 which seems to be allocated to BD/DVD the other 3 anything? but there is only 2 optical inputs one on AV1 (tv) and the other on AV4 my question is how would i use these for my PS3 and SKY HD when using HDMI for picture or is it better for the sound to run through the HDMI as well? and can sound on HDMI decode the dolby/DTS sound?

This also links to another question I see the Yamaha handles HDMI standby through functionality does this mean i will have to use the HDMI cable for sound or could i still use the optical? ( this function will be extremely handy as my wife will only moan if she has to turn the amp on every time she wants to watch tv)

I'm going to have a listen to all the speaker systems you guys recommended if I can but after reading the reviews on the subwoofer I may be increasing my budget lol....

Thanks for the help guys, Right after reading through the details I am really liking the Yamaha system which After clicking your link dave I've found that the HI-SPEC shop is extremely local to me so i'm going to head down there this week and have a listen to both the Yamaha 1065 and the Sony 2400ES?

I do have one question regarding the amp on the back of the Yamaha its got 4 HDMI inputs 1 which seems to be allocated to BD/DVD the other 3 anything? but there is only 2 optical inputs one on AV1 (tv) and the other on AV4 my question is how would i use these for my PS3 and SKY HD when using HDMI for picture or is it better for the sound to run through the HDMI as well? and can sound on HDMI decode the dolby/DTS sound?

This also links to another question I see the Yamaha handles HDMI standby through functionality does this mean i will have to use the HDMI cable for sound or could i still use the optical? ( this function will be extremely handy as my wife will only moan if she has to turn the amp on every time she wants to watch tv)

I'm going to have a listen to all the speaker systems you guys recommended if I can but after reading the reviews on the subwoofer I may be increasing my budget lol....

Just use HDMI with the PS3. The PS3 can output all audio formats via HDMI and HDMI audio output is the only way you'll gain access to HD audio formats.

You need to use optical audio output from the SKY HD box in order to access DD5.1 audio. The SKY HD box cannot output DD5.1 via HDMI. Connect the SKY HD box's HDMI to an HDMI input on the amp and its optical to an optical input on the amp. Turn optical DD5.1 output on within the SKY box's settings. You need to now assign the optical input on the amp to the HDMI input being used for the SKY box. Read the manual in order to aascertain how to do this.

Excellent thanks for that, How comes its better to run the PS3 through the HDMI after reading things on here and the tinternet I thought the optical cables where the best way to run digital sound??

Also if running optical for the sky does this mean the HDMI pass through on standby wont work due to not having sound?

Excellent thanks for that, How comes its better to run the PS3 through the HDMI after reading things on here and the tinternet I thought the optical cables where the best way to run digital sound??

The PS3 has the ability to access HD audio formats now commonly used and found on Blu-ray discs. Optical and the S/PDIF protocol it uses lack the ability and bandwidth needed for these HD formats. HDMI is the only output on the PS3 that can output the HD audio formats.

More here:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-a...06-attempt-explain-high-definition-audio.html

The Sony Playstation 3 (PS3): HD LPCM, but no bitstream

If your Blu-ray player can decode Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio, it's said to have onboard decoding for that format. That means the player itself converts the soundtrack to Linear PCM, which it can then be sent to a compatible receiver.

The older fat PS3 lacks multichannel analog outputs and lacks the ability to bitstream HD audio to an external decoder, but can decode Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio onboard. This allows the PS3 to send the resulting multichannel Linear PCM (LPCM) stream to a suitably equipped AV amp/receiver via its HDMI interface.

You'll need to output to a device that can read multichannel Linear PCM (LPCM) at up to 7.1 channels via its HDMI input. If the receiver/amp cannot handle multichannel LPCM, the audio will be output at 5.1 channels instead. If you use LPCM, but output via the PS3's digital optical connection, you are limited to 2 and 5.1 channel sound. The multi-A/V-out (either component or composite video) only supports 2 channel audio.

In order to take advantage of the the lossless codecs with the fat PS3, you must stream multichannel Linear PCM (LPCM) via the PS3's HDMI output. To do so, go to the PS3's XMB interface:

Settings -> Video Settings

Once there, scroll down to the BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) and set the PS3 to stream Linear PCM. This will force the PS3 to decode the Dolby TrueHD / DTS-HD MA tracks onboard and send them out as lossless LPCM via the HDMI connection.

You can ensure everything is is set-up correcly by going to:

Settings -> Sound Settings

Make sure the PS3 audio is set to go out over the HDMI connection and that the necessary LPCM formats (24-bits at 96kHz) are enabled.

It should be said, as previously noted, that an AV amp/receiver with onboard HD audio decoding abilities will not indicate the resulting input as being anything other than Linear PCM i.e the receiver's Dolby TrueHD / DTS-HD MA indicator will not light up if the HD audio is being streamed as LPCM.

New Caveat: The PS3 Goes Slim

The new slim PS3 supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio bitstream output to your receiver. The HDMI chip on previous generations of the PS3 didn't support bitstream output of the new(ish) high def codecs like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. As such, the PS3 had to decode it internally before sending it over to your receiver via LPCM. PS3 Slim owners can bitstream the HD audio formats and have the indicators for TrueHD or DTS-HD MA light-up on their receivers.

HDMI is always preferable for audio output, especially when dealing with the Sony PS3 ;)

Last edited:
Also if running optical for the sky does this mean the HDMI pass through on standby wont work due to not having sound?

The HDMI output still carries streo audio so will still work when being passed through in standby.

Thats an excellent description thanks you've been a great help :smashin:

So HDMI it is for the PS then!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I know i've asked loads of questions and it is down to my own preference which I am going to go and see both amp's in action this week which i think I am heading towards the Yamaha but after searching the internet i've found the Sony STR-DA2400ES for £399 and the Yamaha 1065 cheapest is £499 (I know it should be £750 and the £499 is an excellent price) is the Yamaha worth the extra £100 and what are the benefits that each one has over the other?

Thats an excellent description thanks you've been a great help :smashin:

So HDMI it is for the PS then!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I know i've asked loads of questions and it is down to my own preference which I am going to go and see both amp's in action this week which i think I am heading towards the Yamaha but after searching the internet i've found the Sony STR-DA2400ES for £399 and the Yamaha 1065 cheapest is £499 (I know it should be £750 and the £499 is an excellent price) is the Yamaha worth the extra £100 and what are the benefits that each one has over the other?

THe Yamaha is superior to any amp in the sub £500 price bracket, including the Sony STRDA2400. You gain greater sound quality and power output with the Yamaha as well as a few features that you don't normally find on sub £700 AV amps. The Sony is an excellent amp and worth considering if you cannot afford the RXV1065, but it is not in the same league when taking the greater abilities of the RXV1065 into consideration. There's also the issue of speakers to be addressed. The Yamaha will invariably not be the best match for speakers best suited to the Sony. Both the Sony and Yamaha have differing tonal timbres to their output. The Yamaha is warm while the Sony is clinical in nature. If looking for a cheaper alternative to the RXV1065 with a similar warm sound then you should look at the Yamaha RXVV765. THe RXV765 is more comparable to the Sony and originates from within the same price bracket.

The Sony is a £500 AV amp for £400 while the RXV1065 is a £750 AV amp for £500. Which do you think is the better value for money option?

Last edited:
I'm not concerned about the extra £100 I just wanted to make sure what I go for is the best for the money and not going to need upgrading for a long time, I'm defiantly more into better sound and I want something thats going to give me loud clean crisp bass too??

From your comments above the Yamaha is defiantly the one to go for and I wont be disappointed? I just don't want to miss out on the discounted price over the next few days so if it going to be the right choice i'll just go for it online without worrying about going to listen to it...

So lets pick your brain/expertise a bit more while your being helpful speakers to go with the Yamaha?? and possible a separate subwoofer if needed as i said above I am really into my bass both for music (mainly listen to drum and bass & garage music) and films as I like to have the rumble and fell the movie!! :)

I personally don't think there's anything better than the RXV1065 for less than £700. Its nearest comparable competitor is the £800 Denon AVR2310 and many prefer the RXV1065 to the Denon.

What is so amazing is how and why are the retailers so readily able to discount the RXV1065 so heavily?

It is a real bargain ;)

So what is your speaker budget? I'd advise a minimum of £500 - 600 for speakers to go with the RXV1065. £1000 - 1500 would be ideal, but I'm guessing you'll be looking to spend a lot less?

Last edited:
Yeah didn't want to go as made as £1000-1500 but was thinking about the £500-600 mark.

So I'm on the right track with the Q acoustics?? os the 1000 series better then then 2000's?

Yeah didn't want to go as made as £1000-1500 but was thinking about the £500-600 mark.

So I'm on the right track with the Q acoustics?? os the 1000 series better then then 2000's?

The 2000 series is the replacement for the 1000. There is a slight improvement with the 2000 over the 1000, but you may as well take advantage of the discounts being offered on the now discounted 1000 series. The differences in SQ are not a million miles apart and only slight. In the separate items I listed you get floorstanders not included with the 2000 and better surrounds than you'll get with the 2000 package. You can also get a better sub than that which comes with the 2000 package and all for roughly the same money.

You'll also need to spend more on stands for te front speakers if you purchase the 2000 package. The front speakers I suggested are floorstanders that don't require stands.

Last edited:
Sounds good to me and loving the floor stands as standard too...

Only thing is cant find them in black where they ever launched in black?? It's just my whole set-up is black :D

Sounds good to me and loving the floor stands as standard too...

Only thing is cant find them in black where they ever launched in black?? It's just my whole set-up is black :D

This is the drawback. Because the items are now no longer in production and discontinued, you'll have to make some kind of sacrifice as to the finish. I don't actually like the black finish and think it makes the speakers look less classy than the wood finishes.

There were available in black, beech and cherry and you may find them in black if you scout about a bit?

Here's a brochure that may give you some idea as to how the wood finishes may look in your home:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/extras/Q-Acoustics/Q_Acoustics_1000i_series_brochure.pdf

Another nice feature of the 1030i floorstanders is that you can mass load the cabinets with sand. THey've a purposely incorporated compartment specifically for this purpose. This will help lend weight to their output by preventing lateral movement better spent on throwing out sound that moving the cabinets themselves.

Last edited:
Yeah been having a hunt and found some black ones on richer sounds and it doesn't look as good finish, i've ordered the amp so i may go down and have a listen and look at the speakers in person!!

Thanks for your help tonight it has definatly helped with my decision making its taken me 5 months to finally order my amp :eek::eek:

of I decided to upgrade to 7.1 which speaker would I buy fir the extra 2 high front surronds??

Last edited:
Dante I would like to thank you for your help yesterday :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I went and picked up my amp today :D and look at speakers, I did like the one's you said to look at but after much thought into the size and my plans for future set-up i finally decided to spend a little bit more and went for the 'KEF 2000 series' 5.1 pack and so far i'm pretty happy and loving the look of them so very happy with but due to time cant get the rear's installed or get it cranked up to play but they seem to be ticking the boxes!!

Hopefully made the right decision??
:confused::confused:

Dante I would like to thank you for your help yesterday :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I went and picked up my amp today :D and look at speakers, I did like the one's you said to look at but after much thought into the size and my plans for future set-up i finally decided to spend a little bit more and went for the 'KEF 2000 series' 5.1 pack and so far i'm pretty happy and loving the look of them so very happy with but due to time cant get the rear's installed or get it cranked up to play but they seem to be ticking the boxes!!

Hopefully made the right decision??
:confused::confused:

The KEFs are fine speakers, but will be lacking in presence due to their size. This is one of the major pitfalls associated with the smaller lifestyle speakers in comparison to larger cabinets. Bass may also seem a little dissociated from the satellite speakers too, but KEF make some of the best speakers of this type that you can buy. If space was of concern and you were looking for compact speakers then you can't go far wrong with the KEF eggs ;)

Just use HDMI with the PS3. The PS3 can output all audio formats via HDMI and HDMI audio output is the only way you'll gain access to HD audio formats.

You need to use optical audio output from the SKY HD box in order to access DD5.1 audio. The SKY HD box cannot output DD5.1 via HDMI. Connect the SKY HD box's HDMI to an HDMI input on the amp and its optical to an optical input on the amp. Turn optical DD5.1 output on within the SKY box's settings. You need to now assign the optical input on the amp to the HDMI input being used for the SKY box. Read the manual in order to aascertain how to do this.
"You need to use optical audio output from the SKY HD box in order to access DD5.1 audio. The SKY HD box cannot output DD5.1 via HDMI. Connect the SKY HD box's HDMI to an HDMI input on the amp and its optical to an optical input on the amp. Turn optical DD5.1 output on within the SKY box's settings. You need to now assign the optical input on the amp to the HDMI input being used for the SKY box. Read the manual in order to aascertain how to do this." DANTE01

I had the same questions regarding the 5.1 from the sky+ box.
Have connected the sky + to the Yamaha RX-V1065 via HDMI tp port 2, and have put an optical to AV4.but cant find the way to assign the optical input to the HDMI2 port.

Thanks for any help.

"You need to use optical audio output from the SKY HD box in order to access DD5.1 audio. The SKY HD box cannot output DD5.1 via HDMI. Connect the SKY HD box's HDMI to an HDMI input on the amp and its optical to an optical input on the amp. Turn optical DD5.1 output on within the SKY box's settings. You need to now assign the optical input on the amp to the HDMI input being used for the SKY box. Read the manual in order to aascertain how to do this." DANTE01

I had the same questions regarding the 5.1 from the sky+ box.
Have connected the sky + to the Yamaha RX-V1065 via HDMI tp port 2, and have put an optical to AV4.but cant find the way to assign the optical input to the HDMI2 port.

Thanks for any help.

I'm unfamiliar with your amps setting's, but did you apply the new firmware revision for the amp that addresses assignability pf audio to HDMI and component inputs?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom