Please help, I am seeing frame members thru Blackout Cloth

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jim McC, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Jim McC

Jim McC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought my first projector today(X1) and my wife and I started viewing Jurassic Park on the DIY B/O cloth screen I made. Frame is 52"X92" made out of 1X3 pine, 3 vertical inner members and each end. As soon as there was a sky shot, we could see the vertical frame members show up as stripes on screen. This was confirmed a couple more times before I shut off projector. What should I do now, put a second layer on it? Has this happened to anyone else? I sure could use some advice. Thanks.

2. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,507
    Sounds as though the timber maybe hasn't been assembled square, just a guess obviously :blush:
    I take it you haven't attached a black border to the screen, if you did you would see a noticeable perceived improvement in contrast and this would also hide the problem you’re experiencing, just an idea :)

Goodluck

3. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Are you seeing the frame because it's touching the fabric and creating a 'bump' in the screen or is light shining through the fabric onto the members behind?

4. Jim McC

Jim McC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It must be light shining thru the fabric. I wonder if there is more than 1 grade of B/O cloth and I bought the wrong stuff. Do you think I should put a second layer over it? It doesn't make sense to remove all the staples. Thanks.

5. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,507
    I'm suprised light is shining through the fabric, it is meant to be Black Out material after all.
    Go for a second layer if you think that will do the trick, the fabrics cheap enough.

6. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    It's easy enough to test the fabric just hold it up to a daylight window, with your hand behind it, and can you see through. My screen material which isn't DIY has a black backing to the screen, I guess this is to absorb the light that shines through the white layer. Could you do something similar?