Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Please help! Humax DVR 1100s

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Emma77walker, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Emma77walker

Emma77walker
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    I'm new and in need of help please!
    We have just cancelled our sky subscription and purchased a freesat DVR 1100s. Our main tv is an old LG with one HDMI port. When I've connected the freesat box to the tv it says no signal. I've changed the input, turned it all off and on and checked all the cables but no input. I have exactly the same issue with another older tecknika tv we have and a little portable BUT I've just tried it in my newer smart tv and I can see the humax start up screen. I rang humax who were less than helpful (this was before I found out it works on the smart tv) who said the box is faulty or it's your TV's simplink. I tried to find this simplink on the TV's menu whilst he was on the phone but couldn't and he basically said he couldn't help me further! I've googled but I'm so untechnically minded that I'm going round in circles!
    Could anyone help please?!

2. dts

dts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,508
    Have you set up your freesat box? You need to tune the satellite channels in,it's not like sky where the channel's are just there.

3. Emma77walker

Emma77walker
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the quick reply!
    Please bear with me as I'm so rubbish with this tech stuff!
    On my lg tv it just says 'no signal', I've made sure it's on the hdmi input but I can't even see the humax set up screen tobtune in channels?

4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,033
    Lets ascertain the basics. You have connected the two coax leads used on the Sky box to the two satellite inputs ? Also Humax models with a DVR name are terrestrial models. Is the box you have a HDR-1100S ? The first thing you should see when you switch on the box after it's checked you have satellite reception is a screen requesting your postcode (required to set up the appropriate regional channels for where you live).

Does your TV have a scart socket ? If so you could try connecting the box using it's analogue outputs (RCA Phono Yellow (Video) Red/White Stereo Audio). You will need 3 phono cables and a scart adaptor for the TV.

SCART Adapter 3 x Phonos Audio & Composite & SVHS with IN/OUT Switch - 3SR3V - kenable for HDMI Optical TOS Network Ethernet RJ45 Scart Audio Phono Jack USB Firewire 800 ADSL Cable Leads

5. Emma77walker

Emma77walker
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks ever so much for the reply! Yes, it's a HDR-1100s freesat box (please tell me it's the right box as I already brought the freeview one and had to return it!)
    Yes, I connected the two coax leads into the freesat box and the hdmi lead from the tv to the freesat box. The tv will not display the humax start up screen on this tv, so I can't put my postcode in or tune in channels!

6. Emma77walker

Emma77walker
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I missed your message about the scart lead. My tv does have a scart lead and I tried to connect it with that, the tv continued to say no signal but there was also a lot of interference noise too?

7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,033
    How did you connect a HDR-1100S with a scart cable as it has no scart socket ? Yes you have the correct box. If you have used the scart adaptor, did you switch it to input ? Have you still got the Sky box ? It wasn't by any chance a Sky-Q box which you have had to send back ?

8. Emma77walker

Emma77walker
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have an adapter, I used the scart adapter on the end that went into the tv and just the coulered leads to the freesat box. Do you mean the input on the tv? I'm pretty sure I did but I'll try that again now, thank you

9. Emma77walker

Emma77walker
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, using the coloured leads directly into the freesat box and the tv I have managed to set up and receive channels! The picture quality isn't great though, I guess that's because I'm not using hdmi?
    Thank you though!

10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,033
    It won't be as scart is SD only.

At least we know your satellite signal is working OK.

Do you have the Sky box so it can be used to check that HDMI in on the TV is working (it will work with Free To Air channels and have more channels than the Freesat box) ?

Does the TV have CEC HDMI control. Different TV makers have a different name for CEC.

Consumer Electronics Control - Wikipedia

Things to try when connected using HDMI.

Turn on the TV before the 1100S and select the appropriate HDMI in.

With both on turn off the TV and back on again (will force HDMI handshake again).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  11. Emma77walker

Emma77walker
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, yes the hdmi lead works with the sky fine and a DVD player just not the freesat box - I read on google about CEC, I'll have a look on the tv now thanks