1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

please help - How do i set up wi-fi in simple terms?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by newstuart, Feb 26, 2005.

1. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Once again i need help !!
    I have a XDA2s with built in wifi - -I have just fitted a d-link router to my home pc and the XDA tells me the wirless LAN is on - what I cant seem to work out is how to go on internet and use Rudeo HTPC controls with it - Im new to the PDA thing so simple explanation most appreciated

thanks guys

2. Dog with 3 legs

Dog with 3 legs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all, what is "Rudeo HTPC controls".

The XDA2 and IIi are very fussy about which routers they'll talk to over wifi but all is not lost.

Does the XDA recognise the router, is it coming up on the wifi page or is it just saying something like "connecting".

If it has recognised the router, chances are you will need to just re-boot the router and re-set the XDA.If this fails, get the latest firmware for the router. I had this problem with a IIi and solved it this way.

If it does not recognise the router your settings are wrong.

If you're not familiar with pocket PC network terminology it is a pain in the a*** to get it working.

3. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    thanks for the reply
    Firstly Rudeo HTPC control enables WI FI control of media center pcs

In answer to your questions

On the "wirless LAN manager" page it says connested to network then SSID:default

I named my network Stuart on my pc settings and there is no reference of this on there , I assume by this something is wrong in my settings ?

Im not sure if this is at the PC end or not , I have not set anything on the XDA as im not sure how or what i need to do

The Router is a D-LINK DI-624+ if that makes a difference

4. Dog with 3 legs

Dog with 3 legs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem with forums is that it is full of well meaning people who sound as if they know what they are talking about when in fact they don't. I may well fall into this category so I would like to point out that I don't know what I'm talking about, I had similar problems to yourself but by trial and error got things working.

Here goes.

In settings go to connections

Click on the connections icon, then on the Advanced tab, click on Select Networks, under Network Management select My Work Network. (Yes I know you're not at work but Microsoft insist on making the terminology hard work for you so select this.) Click on OK, then OK again.

Click on Network cards from Settings - Connections. Click on the wireless ethernet option, select Use server assigned IP address. Click OK. Select My network card connects to work. Click on OK.

Make sure WLAN is switched on. Go into Wireless LAN Manager, the status should now say "Connected to network" and the SSID should be that of your router.

If not then do a soft reset and check again, give it a minute or so to connect, make sure that you do not have Auto turn off ticked in Settings whilst you are trying this as it could time out if it is taking a while.

I assume you have all wireless encryption turned off at this stage.

If you have a network conection as above you should be able to get a web page up on Pocket IE. If you can't the problem lies between the router and XDA. I had this and had to install a recent firmware update on my Linksys router.

The above may be Bo ***xs but it worked for me.

One last thing, make sure your work network isn't trying to connect through a proxy server.

Hope this helps or at least gets someont to tell you what to do who does know what they are talking about.

5. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    thanks for the tips I shall give it a try today and see if i can get it all going

cheers mate