1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLEASE HELP - Going mad Tosh 42wh38 & progressive / component

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by andro, Nov 23, 2003.

1. andro

andro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Work is offering me a special price on a Toshiba 42WH38.
    Please can someone answer the following questions. :eek:)

1) I have read this model doesn't have progressive scan, but I have read other places it does....? I have region 1 and region 2 DVD's in my collection... How does this affect progressive scan in simple terms please, Im really confused reading all the forums and my heads exploding with too much techie info that i will not understand.

2) IF i buy a DVD player for this TV... what connections on the DVD player should I look out for for best playback?

3) Does it have a component connection?, as I can't seem to find out anywhere whether it does or not. IF not I understand RGB scart is best.

Please please help, I am making a decsion soon.
    I just need to know if I buy this tv, whats the best setup i should go for.

Andy.*totally confused*

2. andro

andro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I've managed to find out that this model is a rehoused model of the Toshiba 42WH18 or 42WH29. Both of which have component video inputs, but this TV does not have Progressive scanning.

My question now remains...

How important is Progressive scanning to this Rear Projection Television, and is progressive scanning important enough for me to upgrade my dvd players which does not do this? Will my region 1 ntsc and region 2 pal DVD's play adeuately enough to see no degradation in performance? Being someone who hasn't seen how good progressive scanning is, I'd just like to know would I be missing out on something so major?

Thanks.
    Andy.
    p.s. ( I hope someone replies, i keep starting message threads that noone answers to. Beginning to think my questions are either too simple for people to be othered to answer or too strange. ) hehe :O)

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're after progressive scan RPTVs, you're looking at Toshiba's xxWH36 range, the 42" version of which starts at a smidge over £1000. If you want I'll post links for the cheapest online prices.

IMHO, Progressive Scan is almost essential on screen sizes above 40", and you'll certainately feel the benefits of it on a 42" RPTV, especially with R1 NTSC DVDs, which really do look significantly better.

As to whether or not you need to upgrade your DVD player, this is where things become a little more complicated.

You can use your existing DVD player for both your R1 and R2 DVDs (providing it's multiregion) and obtain Progressive Scan with the RPTV I already mentioned. This is because the TV itself has an internal de-interlacer. This will be compatible with all picture input modes, from RF to RGB Scart. However, the de-interlacer inside the RPTV is not going to give the best progressive picture performance.

Theoretically, the best way to obtain progressive scan with all your DVDs is to - as you correctly mentioned - upgrade your DVD player to an NTSC and PAL progressive compatible Multi-Region player. This would connect to the RPTVs I mentioned via Component Video, and would provide the higher 'quality' images you so desire. Compatible players vary, from Sony's DVPNS730 in the 'budget' arena, up to higher-end players like Denon's DVD2900.

Hope this helps, anymore questions just ask :).

4. andro

andro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thankyou dimmy, helps to clarify things for me.

One more question... If I pick up a new DVD player with progressive scan built in, then does this mean if I still went with a RPT without progressive scan decoder built in, the DVD player will still enhance the picture? I guess your answer will be no, since the TV would need to have this feature too? Just wondering since you said the RPT progressive scan built in is not the best way, and a DVD players PS is better. You see I've been offered the WH38 at £650 brand new installed by my work as an offer this xmas. So it's a case of weighing up the pro's and cons.
    In a perfect world I'd go for the WH36 but at £350 more at least + the cost of a new DVD player... I will need to reconsider cos my budget is blown :)

Cheers.
    Andy.

5. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right andy, both the TV and DVD player have to be progressive scan compatible for you to see its benefits.

You can get away with PAL Interlaced on an RPTV of 42" quite easily, but - personally - NTSC interlaced on a screen that size would drive me mad.