Please help! Freeview problems

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Harj, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Ok, Here goes.

I disconnected SKy as I had dish issues as a leaseholder, Instead of getting a freeview box I connected my old NTL box back to see what happens, and I got all 5 terrestrial channels pluse BB3 & 4.

Missus now wants E4, so I bought a free view box today. I checked the areial feed and there was no FM (IE no RF lead connection). So I instead used some adaptors, but my freeview box found no channels. So I connected a rf lead straight into my tv to see if I could get a terrstrial coverage, but no! Tried manual tuning but all I get is grainy pictures & sound.

Is this something to do with the NTL signal? I removed the areial housing and the arial feed is screwd in (ie digital cable connection) to a tv/data isolation box and then out again on threaded digital connection?

Can someone please tell me what I have to do to get at least terriestrial televison back and then freeview? Otherwise I'm back to plugging my old NTL box back, but I would ratehr have all the freeview.

Thank you.

2. noshoulders

noshoulders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    not sure if i understand, but sounds like you need to put an aerial in your loft or bolt it to the chimney on your house. Make sure you get a good aerial, not one from B&Q!

3. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I live in a block of flats so there is an arieal, I have the feed from the areial.

To put it simply I dont have a connection at the wall for FM coax and digital, only a digital connection is there, after ntl put there connection in a while ago I they removed the tv poin which had both fm and digital connections. So , if you follow me I am using an adaptor to allow me to put an RF lead into the freeview.

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    I'm trying to make sense of your post but I am having a hard time trying to fathom out what you have by way of an aerial.:confused:
    Forget about "FM"...when you say "Digital" do you mean an "F" connector on the wallplate...like a satellite feed?
    Can you post a photograph of your connections?

5. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Here is an image from my phone, there is the areil feed at the top and then a threaded connection that used to go into my NTL box.

Sorry about the crappy picture.

Attached Files:

6. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    That is not an aerial feed but the incoming NTL Cable.
    You don't have an aerial unless there is another lead somewhere.

7. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Thanks for the help. Before I had NTL put in I was watching analogue tv,when NTL came they changed the wall socket, I have checked beind and I cannot see another arieal feed or feel another feed behind it.

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,304
    No aerial = no Freeview.

9. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I know no ariel no freeview, but I must have one as I had normal terristrial tv before NTL butchered my wall sockets. I have checked for another feed and there is none. Now I cannot get even analogue tv! I can only watch tv by plugging my old ntl box back in.

10. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    They've obviously completely switched off the full NTL signal to your property. I had NTL years ago and I still use the cable to pick up free channels as my "proper" aerial no longer feeds into the house, I think it was removed when they installed the NTL or Cable & Wireless as it was in the day.

11. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Harj,

Basically, you will not have any off air or freeveiw signals as you are not connected to any aerial. It looks as though NTL have cheated and rather than running a new cable in for you install they have used your old one. Which actually they should not have done.

Also when they disconnected you, they should have reverted it back to your original connection. Either give them a call or see if you can get access to it yourself to change it over.

What has happend is you propably have a digital decoder from NTL and they are still sending your the 'free channel' sellection. This can then only be seen via your NTL box to decode the signals.

12. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Thanks for your help chaps, I think I have enough to work on, I suspected it was NTL that did this as SKY did not use the wall socket and NTL were the only ppl to touch it, I will get in touch with them and see.

Thanks for your help again.

13. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Harj, what's that box hanging off the coax. If you remove that and connect the coax directly to your TV, do you get a signal? As others have said unless you can find the cable that comes from your rooftop aeriel you won't be able to get Freeview.

14. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    If what you say is true then you must have had an analogue aerial lead somewhere...maybe the TV was in a different corner of the room, do you have any other wallsockets?, maybe you used a set-top aerial
    When a cable company install cable in a customers house they usually fit a "Diplexer" which takes the existing aerial lead (if the customer has one) and the cable and combines them in to one plug.

15. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    That the problem, It sounds like the cable that brought the orginal analogue aerial into the property has been half inched by NTL to get their signals in.

Removing that metal box will not change anything as it is just an isolator to protect the rest ofthe network form noise and power feeding back into it.

Never heard of a CATV operator providing a diplexer because it will interfer with their own channel groupings, it could be a by pass filter that you are thinking of, but Harj would need two cables at his faceplate to be able to do that.

Standard practise by the Cable operators is to leave you with a free group of channels and still connected in an attempt to get you back, it propably also helps with their advertising figures and rates as they insert their own local ads into the breaks.

16. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Only one socket, Im going to get on the phone to NTL, so I'm not holding out for much based on past experiences! Before NTL came I did have a connecter for analogue (marked FM) and Satellite, after NTL left there was only one.

17. FrankS

FrankS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Harj

Do you know how far you are from your nearest TV transmitter, you might just get away with an internal ariel. I bought a cheap 8" LCD DVB TV from Maplins and in our bedroom it would just work on the supplied ariel. I live about 10 miles from our transmitter and just behind a small hill. So an inside amplified ariel might work!.

Something like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=27480&criteria=ariel&doy=14m3 might work if you are close to your transmitter. Could be worth a try as you can always take it back.

18. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Frank, I have no idea how far I am from my nearest transmitter. I just got off the phone to NTL who were unwilling to help at all, so basically is this something I can do myself or can I get someone in to do it? I have seen at B&Q wallbox which allows the ariel feed to be split into an FM and satellite connection, but I'm not sure if this is the solution.

19. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Harj,

Just changing the faceplate will not do anything to help your situation, because NTL have stolen the connection you need to get you off air connection back.

The problem you will have is the access point to reconnect back to the off air aerial will be in a locked, management cupboard. Once in there, dicovering what connection is yours and changing it back could also be a challenge.

I would go back to NTL, ask to talk to a supervisor and explain that the NTL service you had resulted in your connection to the communal aerial system was disconnected and re-used as your connection to NTL. Now that you don't have NTL you want it returned to its original connection so that you can continue watching TV.

Just keep working your way up until you get to someone who actually understands what has happened, chances are the first couple will not have a clue! Technically what they have done is against their own procedures as they should not be using standard aerial cable for Cable TV, but their own type of RG6 cable.

HTH.

Chris