1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help, DVD and Sky RBG probs

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by blithe502, Aug 12, 2004.

1. blithe502

blithe502

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Wondered if someone can help, I'm pulling my hair out!

I'm trying to connect Sky+ and Sony DAV-SC8 amp into my one RGB scart socket on my Sony TV and I can't get is right, should be simple???

The sky box has got scart and S -video out and my dvd amp has only got video phono's in. If i connect scart to phono from the sky into the dvd will the output to the tv (scart from teh dvd) be RGB. I can't get a picture that was at the moment but it might be because i'm just trying it with cheap leads.

If so any recomendations for a good quality scart to phono lead

Thanks for you help guys

2. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at specs for the Sony it has a phone composite video out and scart out but no video in. It does have two phone audio inputs for stereo sound. So no vidoe in on the amp means no switching video thru the amp. I don't think that's a problem though...

I think therefore that you will need to wire DVD scart to Sky+ box scart IN, Sky+ scart out to tv and finally to get sound from Sky through the amp wire the audio phono outputs of Sky+ to the audio phono inputs on the amp. The Sky+ box will let scart input from the DVD thru in preference to it's own output so you get "automatic" video switching based on whether the dvd player is turned on or off.

The only problem you might possibly get is with macrovision stuff from DVDs if the sky+ box doesn't do straight pass thru of the scart but I'm not sure this is an issue. Someone else might know more.

If you have problems with picture quality, make sure all boxes are putting out RGB rather than composite video (sky call this PAL).

Andy

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    According to the specifications on the Sony website here the SC8 has a digital input and both a scart input and scart output.

If that is the case the connection should be fairly simple with the Sky Plus box being connected to the DAV by scart for picture and digital connection for sound with the DAV being connected to the single RGB scart socket on the TV

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Blithe502

It should be straight forward but the variety of menu settings can make it a pain to get set up.

First off you need to think in terms of Video Out and Audio In on your Sony AV Receiver/DVD player.

Your SKY+ Digibox has Two SCART sockets (marked TV and AV) and there seems to be either One or Two SCART sockets on the Sony AV Receiver - no matter!

Video connectivity:
    01. DVD SCART Out to SKY+ (AV) SCART In

02. SKY+ (TV) SCART Out to TV SCART In

With the TV On and the SCART Input selected if you have the SKY+ on that will be the source you will view and with the SKY+ in standby and the DVD player on that will be the source you will view.

To get the benefits of RGB video over Composite (PAL) video you will need to ensure the TV, SKY+ and DVD are all set to work with RGB.

Audio Connectivity:
    If using the TV speakers all you have to ensure is that your SCART cables are all fully wired and you should be fine.

To Hear the SKY+ through the Sony surround sound you will want to use an Optical Digital cable between the Digital Out on the SKY+ and the Optical Digital In on the AV Receiver.

Best of luck.

Joe