Please help - don't know what cables to use for best quality viewing

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by kellie73, May 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. kellie73

kellie73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have just purchased an LG 32LC2DB LCD TV. I have virgin media (originally ntl) tv service which uses a pace box. I have a Phillips DVD player with 5.1 speakers and also a Liteon HDD/DVD recorder. What is the best way to set up for optimum picture quality and recording at present I am using scart for all 3, I hear all this about HDMI which I now know what it is, but not what to use it with, the same with component. Please help.

Many thanks :lease:

2. rnicoll

rnicoll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    HDMI, unless they've done something dumb (and I have seen sets where someone has, indeed, done something dumb), should give the best image. Also, as long as you keep the cable length short (1-2metres), cable quality won't make the slightest difference (because the signal is digital, not analogue, and therefore much harder to corrupt). Look for one of these:

[​IMG]

on both ends. You can also get DVI-HDMI cables; DVI sockets look like:

[​IMG]

Although if you're using DVI, you'll need to run sound over a separate cable.

Component's a good second best; look for 3 sockets next to each other; these will be (and should be labelled as such) red, green and blue. Will probably have left and right audio next to them.

Does that help?

3. kellie73

kellie73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was a great help thanks but I don't think the pace box has an hdmi port. Can I connect using component and the same goes for my dvd and hdd/dvd r. What is RGB? I have been looking at other posts and they say that they connect their cable boxes to their LCD TV using RGB. I don't mean to sound dumb, but am not too sure how all these cable work.

4. rnicoll

rnicoll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yup, should be better than SCART, although you'll probably find you don't have that many component inputs (my TV only has one set), so you'll need to prioritise. Do also consider S-Video, which should be better than SCART too.

Although... thought of moving to Virgin Media's HDTV service? That should definitely have an HDMI output on the box (I'd be shocked if not, but am not in a cabled area so can't be 100% sure), and HD on LCD will look a hell of a lot better than SD material on an LCD...

5. kellie73

kellie73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry what does RGB stand for?:)

6. marcaass

marcaass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am no expert in cabling, but RGB stands for Red Green Blue.

I did not know that component was better than RGB Scart?:confused:

7. rajivkotecha

rajivkotecha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Component is indeed better than RGB Scart and it allows upto high definition (albeit analogue) signal to be transmitted. It splits the signal up into luma and chroma, improving quality over RGB Scart. When i say component, i am referring to YPbPr component, for more info see here

8. kellie73

kellie73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is S Video better than scart?