Please help desperate need of gaming pc advice

Rowsell38

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all I'm desperate for some help :) my daughter wants a gaming PC for Christmas but I don't have a clue what to get!!!
Do I get a laptop or desktop?
What's the best and middle of the range price wise.
She wants to play games and upload onto utube for other users to follow her so what one would I need. Help haven't got a clue and have searched online and read lots of reviews but it all sounds foreign to me lol.
I know she wants a big memory and if the laptop is the best option then a big screen would be a must.
Thankyou all for any help and advice you can give me.

Hi thanks for quick reply, I know build your own is a great option but I really don't have a clue and will probably forget something lol. So pre built it would have to be, she plays a lot of WOW and skyrim infact most of the online role play games.
My budget would be at the lowest end £1000 up to £1500. Obviously for me if I can get what she needs for my lower end of the budget that would make me happy lol

£1000 is a pretty big budget for a first buy. Far moreso than average so i wouldnt worry about that.

What have you got already, monitor, keyboard, mouse, operating system, anything like that?

Do you need a Monitor etc or is £1000-1500 just for the PC alone.

I'd always go for desktop as they can be upgraded.

I'll let more knowledgeable folk help you with the hardware specifics, but i will just say a few things about game recording.

She wants to play games and upload onto utube for other users to follow her so what one would I need.

For recording, you don't have to worry too much about getting ''specific'' or ''special'' hardware as such. As long is the PC is decent (and for the price you're budgeting, it sounds like it will be), then software will handle all the recording & editing.

Two things regarding hardware though;

1) Don't skimp on the processor, she will thank you when she starts editing and rendering her videos. i5 minimum i would say.

2) Get a large dedicated 7200rpm HDD to record onto as the files can get huge, and recording to a dedicated drive really helps performance.

Software wise, i would highly recommend Dxtory with the Lagarith Codec. I have used most of the major recording software, and in my humble opinion it provides the best compromise between quality/performance/filesize.

Feel free to ask any questions if that all sounds greek :)

good advice, an i5 minimum or ideally a 4770 would be a good choice, dont think theres much point in spending more on an oc'able version in this instance. Definite nvidia gpu as well so when shadow play is released that can be used.

Definite nvidia gpu as well so when shadow play is released that can be used.

Yeah i can't wait for Shadow Play purely for the recording buffer. Not having to record everything on the off chance something interesting will happen will be incredible.

Whether or not it proves to be better than Dxtory for normal recording remains to be seen, but it's looking good. I wish they would just release it already!

Hi thanks for quick reply, I know build your own is a great option but I really don't have a clue and will probably forget something lol. So pre built it would have to be, she plays a lot of WOW and skyrim infact most of the online role play games.
My budget would be at the lowest end £1000 up to £1500. Obviously for me if I can get what she needs for my lower end of the budget that would make me happy lol

Well if your getting pre built here's one to start at £916 - it's got an i5 4670 plus a 2tb hard drive - only has a 760 on it however. You can tweak the graphics card (and anything else) plus add in monitor and misc items (keyboard/mouse to suit):
Infinity Achilles

hi all thankyou for all of your replys.
i think a desk top based on what you are saying would be best.
would need a new moniter but se wants all the gaming keypad and mouse and headphones etc, kids eh who'd have them lol

hi all thankyou for all of your replys.
i think a desk top based on what you are saying would be best.
would need a new moniter but se wants all the gaming keypad and mouse and headphones etc, kids eh who'd have them lol

Yeah tell me about it. My lads somehow managed to swindle my rig off me. :(

if you dont want to build yourself you can do a lot worse than this.

GLADIATOR Gaming i5-Diablo GTX 770 4.40GHz Overclocked 4670K Pro PC - Aria PC

then you would need keyboard/mouse and possibly a monitor if you dont want to use a tv to hook it too.

Pretty much either comes down to an i7 plus 760 or i5 plus 770.

IMO for gaming chox that is a no brainer, save the money by getting the i5 and put it into the best gpu you can afford imo.

of course IF the OP holds off, the AMD Hawaii gpus will be out in a month (some of them at least) , which if nothing else will hopefully push the price of the GTX770 down (GTX780 as well I suppose, but that will probably still be too rich for most peoples blood imo.

IMO for gaming chox that is a no brainer, save the money by getting the i5 and put it into the best gpu you can afford imo.

of course IF the OP holds off, the AMD Hawaii gpus will be out in a month (some of them at least) , which if nothing else will hopefully push the price of the GTX770 down (GTX780 as well I suppose, but that will probably still be too rich for most peoples blood imo.

i would normally agree, but im not much of a live recorder so no idea what the cpu requirements are, i would go i5 but the i7 might really help in this instance

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom