1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help decide on HD base mp3 player

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by junglebass, Jul 10, 2005.

1. junglebass

junglebass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have muvo2 but /w a cf512mb card, love that thing, took a lot of abuse untill my last drop, the headphones cable got pulled and now no sound, i opened it up , but dont know if i can fix it, but its time to upgrade anyway, want something a lot bigger then 512mb.....
    I had my eyes on micro zen for a while, would get that but its only 5gb and i have much more music, so thats kind of a drawback

then ever since i saw NW-HD5 in a magazine a while back i wanted to get it....
    I like the size, design, batterie time, no frills mp3 player, cus i just want it to play mp3s good, dont care about other BS features that im not gona use
    one thing thats making think twise about getting NW-HD5 is SW.....
    i dont like useless SW, so used to just plugging my muvo and dragging mp3 folders to a drive....
    i read that with NW-HD5 u need SonicStage, but also read that can use Vaio Music Transfer Update
    http://www.vaio-link.com/Vaiopocket/downloads/downloads.asp?l=en&f=VMTU
    to just drag files from explorer so that`s ok i guess
    but some questions
    PC here is oldddd some slow celeron /w 64m ram....
    ^is that usable for transfering files to NW-HD5?

also read that NW-HD5 is 1 pc locked...... thats just horrible, any way around this?

im completly new to ATRAC format, i can play them on home pc right?

any1 performed HD upgrade to lets say 60gb yet?

or does any1 have a suggestion for HD based player more sutable for me?

THANK YOU!

2. Phil K

Phil K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you like it, get it. There are plenty who'll say "buy this" or "buy that" but surely, its got to come down to what suits YOU not anyone else. For my part, I'd love the iaudio X5 30gb "L" version (35 hr battery life) but at £300 PLUS £50 for the remote PLUS something similar for the cradle needed it's (to say the least) ridiculously overpriced. There is a 30gb version of Sony's nw-hd5 (its called the nw-hd5h) and thats far more reasonably priced at £229 at Sony UK or Amazon UK There are quite a few others, already here and some about to come through, the Archos GS200 mini @20gb and the newer ones have a decent 17 hour battery life and its tiny - but make sure its the new 17 hour one. The one on Amazon is 10 hours. The Toshiba Gigabeat too is great - 20-SIXTY gb. So the choice is yours.
    Big choice too. I'm happy with my Rio Karma - plays everything, 15 hour battery life, and has bookmarks. And at £129 at Amazon.co.uk, I havent been ripped off as most mp3 players seem to be !

And no - you can't play atrac on your PC. Its for your player only. And apparently the Sony's don't do bookmarks, which was a must for me. The iAudio's are the only other ones that do bookmarks as far as I'm aware (I am quite happy to be corrected on this) it was important for me, reading audiobooks, it may not be for you.

3. L11

L11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Can you not play atrac in sonicstage???!?!??!?

4. Hasselhoffia

Hasselhoffia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course you can play ATRAC's on your PC, with Sonicstage.

5. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,382
    You mean Archos XS202 - updated version with 17 hrs batt life