• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Please HELP!! Connecting Samsung 1080P TV + HDD DVD

DG_

Standard Member
Hi everyone,

I'm a complete noob with this so please bare with me.

I'm trying to connect the following:
Samsung LE40A556P 40in 1080P TV
Samsung DVD-SH853M HDD-DVD player/recorder

using:
HDMI lead
(AV + RF leads currently connected too)

Can anyone advise me on how I should have this connected please? I have the HDMI plugged into 'HDMI 1' - when I turn the channel to HDMI1 I am told to check the signal cable. ???

So far it plays DVDs but won't record anything. It is connected like this:

- HDMI 1 in TV to HDMI in back of player
- RF lead from external aerial into 'in' on player, then from 'out' on player to TV
- AV (red white and yellow) on side rear of TV into AV on player

Please help. The Player has once gone to 'Auto' mode but couldn't find any channels and I can't get it to 'Auto' again. I have managed to manually find channels using the menu screens.

I'm not sure where I am or what I'm doing wrong to be honest but I just want to check I have it correctly connected as all the diagrams provided contradict each other - I thought I would only need an HDMI?!?

:lease:

bxd

Hi,

Some comments to keep you going until some of the 'experts' show up.

I presume that you're currently using the composite video output from the dvd-r to the tv.

Now, it's always possible that there is a problem with the HDMI cable as these can be a bit temperamental.

Page 23 of the manual says:

"To use HDMI cable (not supplied), make the Audio/Video connection before plugging in the power cord or after finishing the “Plug & Auto Setup.” Do not connect the HDMI cable while the “Plug & Auto Setup” is progressing" ... so it might be something that you've done during set up. It might be sensible to disconnect both the tv and the dvd from the mains_ plug in the HDMI and turn it all on again.

Make sure that the HDMI is enabled on the dvd recorder (manual p105). Auto set up for the channels is on p28 of the manual.

If the auto mode can't find any channels it could be a matter of the signal strength from your antenna. Does, your tv tune-in OK.

Brian

jockeymaster

I've got the Samsung SH853M too. Also a working HDMI connection. I'm in work right now so I can't be totally consise

Press Setup on Samsung DVD remote. In the Video sectipn, change to HDMI. With my TV 720p gives me the best picture.

Now switch TV to HDMI1. You should see the setup menu of the Samsung DVD there. You can now dispense with the red, yellow, white connections.

Also in the Setup menu are Guide ( where you can setup recordings ), and Channel Setup, where you can scan for channels again if needed.

Note: The 853M will only execute timer recordings when in stand-by mode.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom