Please help connecting ps3 and sky hd to samsung ht-tz225

Poskitt

Standard Member
hello,
it has been weeks now struggling to get this all hooked up, basically i have a tv with 2 HDMI inputs, a ps3 with 1 HDMI output and a home cinema system with one HDMI output. How can i link them all? if i link ps3 to Home theatre using optical how can i do the same with sky when there is only one optical input on the HT? :lease:

Thank you in advance super electric people.
:thumbsup:

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Not really a custom install. Moving to HC Gen Chat. >>>>>

davepuma

Distinguished Member
You will need a 3 way manual optical switch and a further 2 x optical cables. You will connect each source e.g. PS3 and Sky via optical to the switch and then run an optical cable from the switch's output to the input on the home cinema system.

The PS3 would need to be set to optical audio and bitstream and the sky box set to DOLBY D under optical output in the sound settings menu.

The only alternative would be to use an analogue connection from one of your sources to the home cinema should it have one and compromise with stereo audio/pseudo surround sound e.g. Dolby Pro Logic II. Obviously which source you choose would have to be the one you use either least or didn't care so much about receiving true surround sound from. However, a quick search on pricerunner reveals just an optical input, so check the manual and rear for analogue audio or whether it accepts audio via the SCART connection which can be bi-directional.

Poskitt

Standard Member
Thankyou very much. Going to comet now hopefully to buy two optical cables and a splitter if they do them. Hope it works!:thumbsup:

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Personally I would buy them online from the links (fisual pro optical cable is a good buy too) as comet, currys etc. are expensive for cables and accessories. You'll get them pretty quick too, usually next day.

Poskitt

Standard Member
I just bought that splitter you reccomended. Funny, the 'expert' at comet said they don't exist!!!

Thanks for advice.

Dan

dasduffer

Guess this is the best place for this;

@Davepuma, many thanks for the link, got my splitter
within 48 hours of ordering.

Hooked it up to my 360 andPS3, 360 is fine but no sound for my PS3. have chosen optical digital, highlighted dolby and dts in the sound options but no sound. The PS3 is connected to my TV via HDMI and can get sound through that ok. I must be missing something.

Thanks in advance for any help.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Double check that the audio settings are set to optical and then check that it is set to "Bitstream" in the BD/DVD video settings. It should be by default. I'm not sure if the PS3 outputs audio over HDMI as well as optical as I only ever use my amp for my PS3 (I'm also at work, so can't check or confirm which boxes should be ticked, so start with them all as I can't remember which ones I have ticked) so I would confirm that optical is the checked option.

dasduffer

Cheers for the reply.

Tried it all but still no go unfortunately. Def highlighted optical, bitstream in the bd/dvd video options etc etc. When choosing optical, two of the next options (linear) are checked and cannot be unchecked, I checked all the boxes I could in varying combinations but no sound.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Have you tried another optical cable? Did you try the optical input that is working for the Xbox 360? These two checks should isolate any equiment from the problem.

I did a search for my own posts and these are the settings IIRC:

For the PS3
Go to>

Settings>
Sound Settings>
Audio Output Settings>
Select Optical Digital>
Ensure that Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch, DTS 5.1 Ch and AAC are ticked

dasduffer

I have sorted it by hdmi from ps3 to tv and then audio out from tv into my home theatre so sound from the ps3. Have connected XBox and Sky+ via optical into the home theatre via the 3 way splitter and all works sound.

Many thanks for your help and advice.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom