Please help... Confused over what i require

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by twistedice, Dec 29, 2011.

1. twistedice

twistedice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Peeps,
    I am sure this has probably been covered before but i couldn't find a thread so sorry if it has...

I have thousands of mp3's in itunes on my laptop and am thinking of ripping my dvd's to save having to find them when i want them, but i am running out of space so rather than go through the hassle of upgrading the laptop i thought i would consider a network media streamer as this would allow me to view/listen to the content on my other devices rather than just the laptop.

Unfortunately all the techie jargon confuses me and I'm not really sure what i will need. Currently i have toshiba 42VL863B tv, ps3, xbox and am thinking of getting a Panasonic SC-BTT270EBK all in one system (don't shoot me, i do not have the money or space for a decent separates setup).

Could you guys/girls let me know what i would need to get in order to store all my music, videos, possibly photos and then be able to stream them to my tv, home cinema, laptop etc. Currently everything runs through wifi but once i get my new flat i will use powerline adapters throughout and only the laptop will be wireless.

Many Thanks for all your help
    Rob

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,053
    Most media players on the market are only basic file servers, in other words you can only access them like your PC can access them, a PS3/360/TV could not as they can only connect to UPnP/DLNA servers.

There is one with a UPnP/DLNA server and that is the WDTV Live Hub. The other devices should be able to access the media stored on the internal HDD of the Live Hub it and comes with a 1TB HDD built in.

However keep in mind only media files natively compatible with the PS3/360/TV will work & those devices have very limited media support, PC DLNA servers use what's called real time transcoding to convert media into a format the device can play if it doesn't support it, the WDTV Live Hub is not capable of doing this as it requires a powerful CPU.

Media compatibility is not an issue for your PC's accessing the NAS or the WDTV Live Hub itself as they support a large number of media formats.

3. twistedice

twistedice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the reply next010, ok so now for the noob question that makes me sound dumb...
    How are all you guys serving the data to your amps/tvs? Basically what i would like to do is have all my media (mp3, jpg and prob mkv files) in one place without the need to boot up my laptop everytime i want to listen to some music of watch a move.

Is this possible on a small budget or would it involve purchasing loads of kit. i know i can move the files to my ps3 and use that as a player but i have the old fat ps3 and is not exactly eco friendly, my power bills would be through the roof.

Cheers

4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,053
    The WDTV Live Hub is what you want, it is a media player and network storage device all in one.

The PS3 isnt suitable for what your trying to do and actually cant act as a file server.

The other option is buy an actual NAS like something from QNAP and have that act as the network server, then convert all your media into a format that works with the PS3 so it can read the media through DLNA on the NAS.

5. twistedice

twistedice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, just been looking around and think i have got the jist of it now, if i were to get the WDTV Live, i take it to then watch the content stored on it on another tv (not computer) in the flat i would need to purchase another one and stream from the main one?

Slightly off topic but as i have said i have not purchased the home cinema kit yet and am planning to have all my sources (media player, ps3 etc) going to the tv via hdmi then to the cinema kit via toslink, would i still receive full surround (pass through) or would this decrease the audio signal? If it decreases it, can you purchase toslink hubs so i can take the audio from each unit and have the hub plug in to the cinema kit?

6. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,053
    Correct, the WDTV Live is cheaper and comes with no HDD with wireless built in so you could read the WDTV Live Hub file server that way. Alternatively if the TV has a built in media player (these tend to be not very good) you can activate the DLNA server on the WDTV Live Hub and the TV might be able to play some of the files same goes for the PS3.

It should be okay if the TV has a proper pass-through for the toslink/optical connection but it's hard to tell unless you can test the TV yourself before buying or someone else can confirm that it works. Some TV's downmix the audio or will not pass-through DTS audio tracks over the optical output.

There are switches out there although it might be better to get a sound system with multiple inputs, most at least have 2-3.

7. twistedice

twistedice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for all your help mate.