Please help confirm my limited understanding of eARC and CEC

jferldn

Novice Member
Hi all, I have an LG G1 bring delivered and installed this weekend so I'm very excited of course. The next step is the home cinema setup.

I came here for a little advice please though, as I'm looking to replace and old Onkyo receiver that is starting to give up and is not 4k compatible and my knowledge needs updating along with it. I've been searching online for guides on how to create an "perfect" AV/wiring setup but I've not come across any helpful articles.

So I have an idea of what an ideal setup for me would be, but I'm not sure it is possible or reccomend.

What I would like to do is have the TV wall mounted (of course) with only a single HDMI running down to a new receiver, which handles all audio and video streams from other sources (series X, satellite, maybe other audio only sources like a record player/pre amp eventually). I would also like to have the receiver hidden inside a cabinet because my fiancee thinks they are ugly.

My idea is that I can manage this via eARC and HDMI CEC, using a single remote most of the time hence keeping the receiver hidden. I think I can have the TV remote control the volume (and source input?) on the receiver using CEC and return any audio from TV apps to it over eARC. All other sources then go directly in to the receiver with all video streams purely passed through to the TV without modification and retaining HDR, VRR etc. I think then in the worst case I only need to open the cabinet to swap sources, which won't be too often.

Is all of this possible or just a pipe dream? Is it advisable? It seems many people will plug everything to the TV and then just send audio over eARC, but I can't understand why. Will an entry level receiver support this or do I need something more mid range? I like the low profile of the Sony DH-790 but I'm unsure if it has the tech necessary.

Additionally, I would like to gradually move to a 5.1.2 setup but at first use my existing stereo speakers with perhaps a new sub to start with 2.1. Does that sound reasonable?

Would anyone have reccomendations for the best way to approach this and what to buy?

Purchases in order of priority would be:
Receiver, sub, surrounded speakers, floor stands for fronts. Thanks all.

Sign of the times

D6D30D15-4388-4AAE-9E8B-5AE724CF2F26.jpeg
Hi

Firstly i would get a stereo amp if you are thinking of adding a record player, i’m not sure how many( if any) AV receivers have a phono stage , so you would need to buy a deck that has one built in
Your hdmi will carry all the audio, but i would recommend adding a ethernet cable to the tv if you are chasing into walls .
I have recently finished my kitchen / living area and decided to go 3.1

jferldn

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply. I'd say a record player is lowest on the list of priorities for me so I'd rather not focus on that and consider what is the best home cinema setup first.

Are you reccomeninding ethernet purely for network connection to my router or for another purpose? Unfortunately due to my house layout and the fact it is already renovated (plus the aforementioned fiancee) dedicated cables will not be an option. I'm building out a mesh network that I'm hoping will do the job of strong WiFi signal.

Back to the AV setup - you suggest my "hdmi will carry all the audio" but don't mention the optimal configuration there. Do you think a single HDMI would work, as suggested in my initial post?

Thanks for you help 👍

Sign of the times

Thanks for the reply. I'd say a record player is lowest on the list of priorities for me so I'd rather not focus on that and consider what is the best home cinema setup first.

Are you reccomeninding ethernet purely for network connection to my router or for another purpose? Unfortunately due to my house layout and the fact it is already renovated (plus the aforementioned fiancee) dedicated cables will not be an option. I'm building out a mesh network that I'm hoping will do the job of strong WiFi signal.

Back to the AV setup - you suggest my "hdmi will carry all the audio" but don't mention the optimal configuration there. Do you think a single HDMI would work, as suggested in my initial post?

Thanks for you help 👍
Hi

Yes the ethernet was just for networking, i’m 80% through a remodeling of my house and have hardwired every room
I only have one hdmi hooked up to my TV but have a spare in the false wall if needed

jferldn

Novice Member
Ah I would love to have hard wiring everywhere!

So are you able to run all sources in to the receiver and control via the TV remote? So you get input selection or just volume? What TV and receiver do you have?

Thanks

jferldn

Novice Member
Thanks. If the AIO controls the receiver based on IR though it means it has to have line of sight though I would think?

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom