1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help (component to VGA)

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by carpy1, Sep 27, 2005.

1. carpy1

carpy1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello

Wonder if anyone can help me
    I have a Phillips lcd tv 32pf9976 (think thats the correct model)
    Well the problem i have is this tv only has a dvi connection and 2 rgb scart connections.

My panasonic dvd player on the other hand has both rgb and component connections.

Im wanting to connect my dvd to the tv using component video but as i said above my tv only has dvi connectinon.

This is what im proposing
    component to vga then converting to dvi to enable me to connect into my tv.

A) is this possible?
    b) Would the picture quailty be better than using my existing high end rgb to rgb scart?
    c) im having great difficulty in finding a component to vga adaptor, anyone know where i can buy one?

thanks for your help

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    For this to work your LCD TV would need to have a DVI-I input. DVI-I carries both analogue & digital video. The conversion from VGA to DVI will only be converting the connection type and not the signal in any way, therefore it will stay as analogue. If the DVI input on the LCD is DVI-D (digital only) then nothing will be displayed from an analogue VGA source.
    The DVI input would also need to be able to be configured to accept YUV component instead of RGBHV (VGA).

Mark.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    If by some slim chance you can get the DVI input to accept YUV component then you can get a component to VGA lead Here.

Mark.

4. carpy1

carpy1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for you help mark

My tv does have dvi-i input so can you tell if its woth doing or not?
    At the moment i have my dvd connected via a high end rgb scart cable, so would there be an increase in picture quality using the component and dvi method?

cheers

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    What you need to do is go into the setup menu of the TV and see if you can set the DVI-I input to accept different video formats. If you can then you need to set it to YUV component.
    If both your DVD player can output, and TV can display a progressive scan image then the chances are you will see a fair improvement via component. If however one or other can't show a progressive image then the chances are the RGBcvS via scart will be as good as it will get. Although scart is not the best connection going RGBcvS is a very high quality video standard and should give a very good picture, especially if useing a good quality scart lead.

Mark.