1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help choosing a SIM2

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by TT9, Dec 13, 2003.

1. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All,

Today I went down to see Jeff Paynter from projectorsaures for a look at the Sim Domino30. Fantastically impressive machine and a very informative couple of hours as Jeff ran through IRE, calibration and all sorts of techniques to get the best from a pj. Highly recommended to anyone on the lookup for a pj.

Anyway, was all set on buying one but to throw a curve ball from left field, Jeff informed me he is able to supply me with a HT300+ for EXACTLY the same price !! :eek:

My question is which of these two machines would posters recommend. Is the DVI input on the 300+ the only significant difference ? Specs, lenses, chips look identical. HTPC and all that is not important to me and prob. would stick to component from my DVD32R.

Any opinions on which of these machines represents a better purchase would be much appreciated. Unfortunately I was not able to see the 300+ due to stock (or lack of!).

Domino 30/HT300+. . . . . .

What do you think !?

Thanks,
    Steve.

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think you should see them side by side and then choose....

I also think that as you've already got a thread open on your quest for a projector, starting a new thread isn't really necessary..........:confused:

Sean G.

3. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you are correct. Moderator delete my old thread. Jeff's informed and extended demo was enough not to need a home loan.

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Steve,

have a wander over to avsforum.... in the > $3500 forum, you should find a mega thread started by Andrea Manutti comparing the Sim Domino and Ht300 range, iirc, with extensive comparisons, colorfacts findings and meaningful side-by-side comparison screenshots illustrating relative strengths etc. afaik Jeff has posted on Andrea's PJ review threads - Andrea is extremely knowledgable, both expert and impartial in his reviews.............. I'm sure you'd find it helpful in making a choice.

Sean G.

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A "please" would be nice rather than a command :rolleyes:

6. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I will second Sean on his comments about Andrea Manuti.
    Besides his participation in the AVS forum, he hosts a very informative web magazine with very in-depth reviews of a lot of the current popular projectors.
    You can check it out at: www.htprojectors.com

7. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many rate the 300 over the domino

8. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make my breakfast and dust my shoes, I'm off to college in a while ;).

9. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

If anyone is interested I decided to buy the Domino30 over the HT300+. The machines look near identical on the specs and chipsets so was a close call.

I went for the 30 I think because importantly I had seen it in action and was very impressed with it and although I assume the picture of the HT300+ to be near identical, ultimately I had not seen it in action and so thought it more prudent to go with my original choice which did not disappoint.

Other deciding factors were the enhanced colour wheel of the 30 giving a marginally better contract, being put off slightly by stories of wheezing colour wheels on the HT300+, and not needing to factor in lack of DVI as I take the view that outside PC's, which I won't be using, this connection method has limited application.

Oh and lastly, Jeff gave us a bit of a discount too :smashin:

Thanks for everyone's input.
    Regards,
    Steve.

10. tekmonkey

tekmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a good source who has lead me to believe the existence of the Domino 30 is solely down to there being a huge leftover of 300+ parts,chassis,etc which it is entirely based upon.

There was only ever meant to be one Domino (now the 20)!

I don't really know how much truth there is to this story but it does make an awful lot of sense.

The monkey lives!

11. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Total nonsense, boloney, balderdash, bunkum, codswallop :nono:

12. AD Roser

AD Roser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: