Question Please help choose a projector under £800

kam03

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Please can you help me choose a good projector for under £800?

Requirements:

1080p
Short throw
Good for gaming and movies
low fan noise

Thanks

I had BenQ w1080st that was awesome. Id say there are newer versions now. I think Sony have the best 1080p pj picture wise because they dont suffer from a light wheel spinning and causing RBE. But I never had that problem. But then again they dont have a short throw. I think acer just made some awesome predator gaming pj but its expensive.

How short do you need the throw to be, as this is a big stumbling block?

I currently have the benq w2000 and getting 106"ish from about 2.5mish

I had BenQ w1080st that was awesome. Id say there are newer versions now. I think Sony have the best 1080p pj picture wise because they dont suffer from a light wheel spinning and causing RBE. But I never had that problem. But then again they dont have a short throw. I think acer just made some awesome predator gaming pj but its expensive.

how was the fan noise on that model? some reviews mention the fan to be quite loud.

I think I was getting 100" @ 5 feet from the wall with the w1080st. Projectorcentral.com is good for calculating screen sizes for specific projectors.

1-2 meters. I would like to take it away with me so i want that freedom of placing it close by.

how was the fan noise on that model? some reviews mention the fan to be quite loud.

It isnt a quiet as I would like, but i may have one with a dodgy fan that sounds like it is clipping something, possibly didgy bearing and got a bit of a wobble. The projector sits less than a metre directly above my head, so may return it is it carries on. Great image though.

You may have to look at the optoma gt1080 for that sort of distance.

I found the colour on the Benq way better than the optomas i tested and owned. I highly recomend the Benq! My mate has had his for over a year now and has 2500hrs and its still goning strong on a 150" 16:9 screen in a 4.2m x 4.2m room. He plays fifa online every night on it and loves being able to see more of the field with the most zoomed out camera but can still see his play big enough to dribble. Its almost like cheating. As for lamp heat amd noise the optomas and benq are the same. If your dog walks by whilst the pj is on a table good chance youll cook your dog. Only other option for decent heat and noise is the pico led projectors but last time I looked they were only 720p and 700 lumens.

thanks all, i will look into the Benq models.

thanks all, i will look into the Benq models.
Im not sure whats out there now but mate it was night and day the difference and Id even say the quality of the product and lenses were better on the Benq. Im no fanboy Ive owned 4 PJs all different brands and tested a few on top of that and Id have Optoma at the bottom of my list. Not sure if I said it before in a post earlier but I too need a pj in that price range for gaming and my first stop will be Benq.

Im not sure whats out there now but mate it was night and day the difference and Id even say the quality of the product and lenses were better on the Benq. Im no fanboy Ive owned 4 PJs all different brands and tested a few on top of that and Id have Optoma at the bottom of my list. Not sure if I said it before in a post earlier but I too need a pj in that price range for gaming and my first stop will be Benq.

Thanks, Benq have a new model projector model for gaming now, called BenQ W1210ST. I can't seem to find any reviews on it though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom