• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Please help calibrate Panasonic TH-50PZ70B

stampedeadam

Standard Member
Hi everyone, I picked this telly up really cheap from someone local. It obviously had a very green tinted greyscale so I dialled down the G-CUT and G-DRV settings in the service menu which helped a lot.

I have now bought a meter (speyder3) and am using it with HCFR software. It has made a really big difference. The greyscale is pretty much perfect now and I have managed to dial out a massive hole in the gamma from 40 to 90 IRE, just by using the white balance controls.

This has been an absolute bargain for the picture quality I've got, it kicks the butt of my mate's expensive Samsung LED set, but at the risk of being greedy I would like to ask for your help to make it even better :D

First problem is the gamma. It is currently tracking at 2 which is a bit low. There is no gamma setting in the menus but as well as R G and B CUT and DRV settings, I have ALL DRV and ALL CUT in the service menu. Can I do anything to bump the gamma up to 2.2-ish?

Second problem is the colour/tint. Although it looks great to my eye the average delta E is 18, which is obviously way off. I know without a CMS I'm not going to make this much better but I do have colour (in the user menu) and tint (in the service menu) controls. The colour setting works fine but I'm having a problem with the tint in that it only seems to work one way (down - towards green). Once it has been clicked down it won't go back up again! Is this a fault with the set or am I missing something?

Third and finally - I have sub brightness and contrast settings in the service menu. Do these work any differently to the settings in the user menu?

Thanks for any help you can give me :)

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom