Please Help: Buying new PC monitor for 360 gaming.

Merx

Standard Member
Hi.

I currently use a 14 inch samsung as my gaming monitor for my 360. It seems a bit small especially compared to my 5.1 dolby digital thats getting pumped out from all directions. So Im looking for a new PC/Xbox 360 monitor.

Now Im on a bit of a budget because I am a student. £200 really is pushing it.

I am currently looking at:
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=372871
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=417320

Now which 1 of those would be better? I know 1 has a better contrast ratio but how noticeable would that be.

Because Im using the 360 VGA cable I can go no higher than a 19inch (square) monitor with a resolution of 1280x1024.


Now the second 1 down has a DVI connection on it. And I was wondering if I was to use a VGA to DVI converter, would it make a difference for better or for worse.


From this list: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Prod...Categories=349&FilterManufacturers=&OrderBy=1

Which would be a good purchase. Or is 1 of those Hyundai monitors going to be good enough. Ive read some amateur reviews for the top 1 and people say that it is really good.

I could possibly stretch to 300 if I sat down and talked to my dad. But if you are going to reccommend something around 300 can you please also recommend something under 200. Cus 300 really is a push.

I was told by a friend that you were the guys to come to regarding monitors and the like. So I really hope you can point me in the right direction.

I really am interested to know if those hyundai monitors will be any good though. And if the 1 with the 700:1 contrast will be much better than the 1 with 500:1.

Also must be from scan because its just down the road.

Thanks in advance.
 

Merx

Standard Member
surley I can just use 1 of those little connectors I use to convert my graphics card from a dvi connection to vga?
 

Merx

Standard Member
My dad said he saw this:http://www.pcwb.com/catalogue/item/XERMON01 in our local PC World.

he said that it was £170 now with a contrast ratio of 800:1 would that be a much better display?

Also since it has a DVI input, I assume I could use the same sort of connection converter as I do for my graphics card to pc.
 

Kopite4Ever

Active Member
If your using it for 360 why not get a widescreen monitor and make the most of it ? Go for something like the acer or viewsonic 19" widescreen monitor.

Dont go for something crappy that wont accept a widescreen signal ie 1280x720 or 1366x768
 

Merx

Standard Member
Kopite4Ever said:
If your using it for 360 why not get a widescreen monitor and make the most of it ? Go for something like the acer or viewsonic 19" widescreen monitor.

Dont go for something crappy that wont accept a widescreen signal ie 1280x720 or 1366x768

yea but the widescreen resolutions for the 19 inch monitors are not supported by the 360 vga cable. So wouldent I get pixel stretching?
 

Kopite4Ever

Active Member
Merx said:
yea but the widescreen resolutions for the 19 inch monitors are not supported by the 360 vga cable. So wouldent I get pixel stretching?
Who told you that ?

As long as the monitor in question accepts the widescreen signal ie 1280x720 or 1366x768 then it will internally upscale the resolution to its native one in the case of a 19" TFT 1440x900 and display the picture.

The only real problem is 19" TFT's are inherently 16:10 wereas the 360's output is 16:9 so some monitors will show tiny black bars to compensate and some will overscale the image to compensate. Ive seen both and neither bothered me at all, its neglideable. If it was me i wouldnt get a 5:4 17" TFT and only have it showing a tiny 16:9 image in the center approx 13" wide.
 

Kopite4Ever

Active Member
Oh and here is a picture of the 360 running on a 19" WS Viewsonic TFT, notice the TINY boarders left and right becaue of what i mentioned above its not enought to distract the game at all. I think that monitor has DVI and VGA connections as well.

Picture015.jpg
 

Merx

Standard Member
I was told that if I got a widescreen monitor and put it on 1 of the 2 widescreen resolutions, I would get "blocky" pixels. Much like if I was to run it on 640X480.

If it leaves those tiny borders that is no problem what soever..

Also I am currently obsessing over contrast ratio. Will I notice much difference between 500:1 and 800:1 with a light on in the room?

Edit: Thanks for your help so far.
 

Batch

Well-known Member
Yeah, Widescreen is the way to go! Something like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CCB0OG/026-9890969-3322005?v=glance&n=560798 for £145 inc. and then you will possibly need some speakers if you haven't already got any!

Contrast ratio is going to have less of an affect when lighting is on ofcourse, i myslef have 700:1, but as is usual the higher the better.

If the monitor is 144x 900, is is probably best to set the resolution to 1280 x 768 and then the monitor does the rest of the upscaling. It will look superb!
 

Kopite4Ever

Active Member
On a monitor like that its an awkward resolution. Obviously the 360 would look better if it was outputting 1440x900 but its not shabby at all when outputting 1360x768 and letting the monitor do some tiny scaling of the image. A lot of people run this setup some on this very forum run the Acer 19" with the 360 via VGA and its looks excellent. You can tell by the picture above it dont look blocky at all in fact looks pretty crisp. Check out this link for the dashboard running on the acer 19" and the reviewer seems pretty pleased.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/aceral1916w/6.html

Contrast ratio is never what the manufacters state. They will get those figures under extreme circumstances with un-watchable settings so i wouldnt pay too much attention to them when the ratings are that close. Wouldnt suprise me if they struggled to get 200:1.
 

Merx

Standard Member
Kopite4Ever said:
On a monitor like that its an awkward resolution. Obviously the 360 would look better if it was outputting 1440x900 but its not shabby at all when outputting 1360x768 and letting the monitor do some tiny scaling of the image. A lot of people run this setup some on this very forum run the Acer 19" with the 360 via VGA and its looks excellent. You can tell by the picture above it dont look blocky at all in fact looks pretty crisp. Check out this link for the dashboard running on the acer 19" and the reviewer seems pretty pleased.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/aceral1916w/6.html

Contrast ratio is never what the manufacters state. They will get those figures under extreme circumstances with un-watchable settings so i wouldnt pay too much attention to them when the ratings are that close. Wouldnt suprise me if they struggled to get 200:1.

So can you tell me that on a widescreen display the Xbox 360 has no pixel distortion at all. Or is there "a little bit". Im very picky about even the slightest mis-alignment in pixels. Basically I couldent live with even the slightest pixel fault.

I would much rather have a square display with letterbox on some games (graw singleplayer, oblivion, burnout) and have full screen on others (graw multiplayer, ping pong, prey, saints row (from what I can make out))

I find the letterbox effect sometimes adds to the game looking more like a film than a game. I quite liked it on graw and when watching my mate on Resident Evil 4 for the GC.

I dunnu. It started out pretty simple. But the more questions I got answered, the more questions cropped up.

Anyway would this be a good monitor: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=372871
By that I mean does everything look good on paper.

And what model is your viewsonic?
 

Batch

Well-known Member
There will be a very small amount of pixel distortion on a widescreen monitor, but there will be far more on a square monitor full screen, as the image needs to be streched from 720 to 1024! instead of from 720 to 900!
 

Merx

Standard Member
Batch said:
There will be a very small amount of pixel distortion on a widescreen monitor, but there will be far more on a square monitor full screen, as the image needs to be streched from 720 to 1024! instead of from 720 to 900!

So you are telling me that on a 1280x1024 display I will get blocky pixels?
 

Batch

Well-known Member
Not exactly, but the image will look stretched, for exampl eon PGR3 fullcrenn cars look out of proportion. It is best to just have it letterboxed!
 

Merx

Standard Member
Batch said:
Not exactly, but the image will look stretched, for exampl eon PGR3 fullcrenn cars look out of proportion. It is best to just have it letterboxed!

On a square monitor, I would not set the 360 to widescreen mode anyway. On my current square monitor I get what I think you are describing. At 1024x768 when I put it into widescreen everything goes out of proportion...

Although hold on a sec. does the 1280x1024 mode on the 360 have the option to set it to widescreen/"normal" or is it 1 of those resolutions that forces itself into widescreen?

I better check..
 

Pebb

Distinguished Member
I would say buy a good HDTV for the money, instead of a big LCD Monitor.
 

Waynej

Distinguished Member
I'm expecting delivery of the Hyunadai A321 tomorrow morning :)

But I'v been using the Acer AL1916W since launch and highly recommend it. Click link in my sig below for a pic of it.
 
X

xelallah

Guest
I've got a 17" TFT, will XBOX360 be able to connect to that? Will it be SD or HD if at all?
 

Waynej

Distinguished Member
xelallah said:
I've got a 17" TFT, will XBOX360 be able to connect to that? Will it be SD or HD if at all?
Most likely HD. Assuming your monitor is 4:3 square then I'd recommend finding out what your native res is and choosing the same or closest setting on the 360 settings - with MS VGA Cable attached.
 

Merx

Standard Member
upon futher investigation through various forums and blogsites. It appears that the 1280x1024 setting does indeed squish the image much like when I set the 1024x768 resolution to widescreen from normal.

And Im not shelling out all that money for a squished display.

Oh well. Thanks for all those who helped but until MS patch it, theres nothing I can do.

However. I am still interested in this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CCB0OG/026-3269137-8468440?v=glance&n=560798

I just want some1 to confirm for me that with that monitor, if I set it to 1280x768 I would get those thin lines around the edges (which I am absolutly fine with) and NOT stretch it to fit the screen.

EDIT: Nevermind. Been reading that this monitor does infact stretch the image slightly on all resolutions which ends up making strange jaggies and circles.
 

Waynej

Distinguished Member
Merx said:
EDIT: Nevermind. Been reading that this monitor does infact stretch the image slightly on all resolutions which ends up making strange jaggies and circles.
Where u read that. I have mine set to 1360x768 and it looks super cool :rotfl:
 

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom