Please Help, Buying A New DVD Player for use with new amp/receiver

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nero0410, Dec 26, 2004.

1. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    My sisters are buying me a new dvd player for christmas but it is gonna be late cos they want me to find one I like first from richer sounds.

I am trying to find a nice reliable one to couple up with the new amp I got for christmas (sony str-de967 and my panny ae200e projector) and projector.

I would like it to be multi region, as I have quite a few different region films, and have a good picture and sound for dd, dts, pro logic 2 etc....

I have a budget of £120 (2 sisters putting £60 each) to get one, and would like one that betters my:

dansaidvd 902 dvd player.

I would like it to be able to play almost anything including any region film and mp3, have coaxal digital output, progressive and component out etc.... practically everything. (and s-video)

My amp is a 7.1 receiver (which I know doesnt truely exist, there are only a few films with a 6.1 soundtrack and the 7.1 is the rear centre split into 2 mono) But do I have to have a dvd player capable of decodeing 6.1 or does that just come off of the disc?? And can I have a dvd player that says 5.1 on it??

I have been thinking of chooseing this one:

Pioneer DV575 Silver (Multi Region) @ £115

Is this a good choice??

Could you comment on this player, picture and sound performence. Also please reccommend others if appropriote.

Please advise and help me

Thank you :)

tris

2. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    Could someone please help me??

thanks

tris

3. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    For the money, Yeah I'd go for the 575.

As you know, plays DIVX, MPG, MP3 and amazingly DVD's too :)

Prog Scan for both NTSC and Pal. I have one (and a Denon 3910) and it's a great little player.

4. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Play are selling the Limit DVD900A at a reasonable price. I've owned both the Pioneer DVD575 and the Limit - the Limit has excellent audio abilities, in movie surround and DVD Audio/CD modes. It's also better built than the Pio, but has a few quirks as well - if you're interested a search will give you some info. :) The Pio is good, and if you're into DVD Audio and SACD you can't really go wrong, but I'd still go for the Limit - in fact I've ordered another one ;)

Mark

5. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    I had a look at the limit on play and their site, it does seem to be quite a reasonable player. I've not heard of or even seen limit equiptment.

Other than that I did a search on google and looked around, but there doesnt seem to be a great deal of good information on it.

According to quite a lot of reviews there is no stand by mode, which would be a problem with me as I like to watch a film in bed and put it on standby without having to get back out of be to turn it off.

Apparently it plays most films in letterbox format, which would do my head in after a while as I'm used to watching a film fully.

And some say that somtimes in quiet scenes it tends to buzz.

Sigs, please suggest some more :D

Anyone else have any suggestion on the pioneer 575 and other players?? Others I am concidering are:

Cambridge Audio DVD57

Yamaha DVDS540

Or similar

Please advise and tell me about other players that have really good picture and sound quality.

I am really looking into getting a decent dvd player with great picture, sound and reliability for use with my tv and projector and my new sony str de697 av/receiver.

I do need help and advise so I get the most 'perfect' multiregion dvd player for my particular setup/s for between £0 and £150 ( My sisters said I can choose one up to £150 now :) )

Please help me find a really good multiregion player (way above the supermarket models) for my setup, and please suggest a range of players so I can do some research on each one and choose from there.

Thank you :smashin:

tris

6. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    There's a long thread on here - I think it might be titled Limit DVD800 - that gives some info on the 900. I like the machine enough to buy another one, but if it's not suitable for you then that's that :)

I don't think you would go far wrong buying Family Guy's Harman Kardon - he's got it up for sale in the classifieds, I think.

I just have to come back to the Limit :D I never got to use it with a PJ first time round, but it has the Vaddis 5 chip, which is renowned for being pretty good. If you want to hang on until probably (read "hopefully"!) Wednesday, I'll let you know what it's like with my Panny AE700. I can compare the image with a Sony NSX900V (interlaced) and a DVi to HDMI image from my computer, which is pretty darn good - even if I do say so myself :D

All the best mate,

Mark

7. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I would also recommend the Pioneer 575 in your situation. Like my AE100 which shares the same LCD panel your projector doesn't quite offer the very best picture quality and to be honest the best picture you can get is with a pc connection with output set at 848x480. For a standalone feature packed player though to go with it I can't think of a better player than the Pioneer.

8. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    Would the pioneer also beat the harmon kardon that sigs speaks of??

Thanks for the advise guys, please keep it coming need as much as poss.

Sigs. Please could you post a link so I could look at a pic and the specs of the harmon kardon, I have done a search but cant seem to find any info on it

cheers

tris

9. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
  10. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Re: the Pioneer - it's a good "budget" machine, with a good picture and OK sound, but it will always be a budget model; the loading mechanism and drawer is quite flimsy - the Limit :D is better built, with awesome sound. The Harman Kardon would, I suspect, also sound excellent and is likely to have much superior build quality.

Having owned the Pio, I wouldn't buy another 575 due to its flimsy nature... and this is why I've gone for the Limit... just say two words - SHUT UP - and I will never mention the Limit DVD900A ever again on this thread :devil:

Mark

11. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    Thanks for the 'harman kardon' link (and the correct spelling of it), taking a look now.

I do keep looking at the limit (dont think I'm brave enough to tell a mod to shut up) it does look a nice player I do admit, but I'll have a look into this harmon kardon too. Others if they are suggested too, I wont wait too long for more suggestions though, I have a certain bug when it comes to money and buying home cinema equiptment.

cheers

tris

12. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    Looks like I missed out on that harman kardon, shame that I quite liked the look of it. Would have took it for asking price if I could pay him by nochex and he could wait till the 30th.

Never mind

tris

13. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I suspect the Pioneer would beat it for picture quality and feature count but probably wouldn't do as good a job of playing audio cds. I doubt if you would find much difference in sound using the coaxial output but with the 5.1 outputs the Harman would probably have the edge.

The Pioneer is a fine divx player and I personally find I play a lot of divx files. I'll admit I download them off the net and watch them via my projector. I really love doing this. I use a Kiss DP-450. If you have no interest in divx or the possibility of doing this then maybe your better off looking elsewhere. However if divx is of interest then the Pioneer seems your best option.

Your projector like mine is a little low resolution and isn't even capable of showing pal dvds without downscaling the image to fit. This can cause artifacts. I think the Pioneer would probably give the better image others might see it the other way but either way you probably won't be able to tell the difference using your projector.

So like me your better off buying ntsc dvds rather than pal ones as your projector is optimised for ntsc playback. It can display every single pixel of an ntsc dvd but loses a fair bit of pal information.

14. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399

I am mainly after picture and sound quality for movies, I'll be using a digital coaxal for connection to my amp. Also I am not that bothered about div x movies, but then again it ,ay be a nice format to convert to for home movies and the like.

As long as it provides a good picture and sound quality for dd/dts/5.1-7.1 etc....I'll be happy but then the limit also sounds good so I'm spoilt for choice there.

And there may also be others.

Any more suggestions??

thanks

tris

15. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Do you need DVD Audio and SACD support?

What about the sort of media you use, do you use copied media or are your films all mainly commercial dvds?

What about audio cds?

Will you be using the dvd players own decoder or using your amps decoder?

If your not interested in DVD Audio or SACD and your amp has a DTS decoder you probably don't need a decoder on the dvd player at all.

It sounds to me like all you need is the very best picture possible for the price and component output with progressive pal/ntsc.

Something like the Samsung DVD-HD945 is worth considering. Its Zoran based so functionality won't be quite as good but Zoran players stick tighter to the dvd specification compared to mediatek. It has scaling support so you can increase the resolution. However I'm not sure if this is just for its digital output option or for component output too. Its broadly similar to the Pioneer 575 specification wise except it uses a completely different main dvd chipset. Its better built than the Pioneer. I have a Samsung HTDM150 system which was the best buy budget home cinema system a year or two ago. Its lasted brilliantly. Sounds fantastic and has a brilliant RGB image on my 100hz Thomson tv. I've connected various dvd players to the set but absolutely nothing compares to the Samsung so far. Its image is beautifully clean and natural. I'm a great fan of Samsung as are Sony as Samsung makes tons of stuff for Sony like digital cameras, camcorders, home cinema systems and dvd players. You may find the Samsung/zoran recipe a better one than Pioneer/mediatek. Lets face it mediatek are the cheapest of the cheap and they can be a bit rough round the edges. When you see a dvd player that sells for less than £30 theres a 99% certainty that it will be mediatek based. You may find your Sony amp is made in China and could well be made by Samsung who have some of the most advanced factories in china. Samsung themselves are a korean company but nowadays even korea is too expensive to make a lot of stuff.

Definitely worth checking out the Samsung before you go with the Pioneer. You may find you much prefer it and not just because of its high quality aluminium case. I think the Zoran chipsets are well matched to the Panasonic LCD projectors and you never hear of Arcam using mediatek chipsets in their players.

16. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    How about the Toshiba SD340? It's £70 multiregion (free p&p) here

17. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    It also comes with a free copy of Monsters Inc. Top Bargain :smashin:

18. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    What Hifi stated in their review that as good as the Toshiba was, the Pioneer had the better picture. There is also the option of the Pioneer 470 and you can get a firmware for it that enables DVD Audio and SACD support (2 channel only though as theres no 5.1 outputs). Pioneer also seem more keen to provide firmware upgrades so personally I think the Pioneer is a safer option. I've heard that some Toshiba owners have upgraded their players with Philips firmware as the Philips and Toshiba models are electronically identical. I remember when I had a Toshiba 330 it had a lipsync issue with VCD/SVCDs and that never got a firmware upgrade to fix it. I found out that earlier models had the same problem too. I think both Pioneer and Philips are better at providing such upgrades but neither will continue to do so as soon as they stop manufacturing these particular models.

19. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I agree, however it's still £50 cheaper :smashin:

20. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    What about the Pioneer 470 though. Its basically identical to the 575 electronically except for 5.1 pinouts. You can even use the 575 firmware on it to enable 2 channel SACD/DVD Audio support and other features. Surely the picture would be the same as the 575?

21. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    bonzobanana

In answer to your questions

I woldnt mind dvd audio support not too bothered about sacd

I use all original media from most regions specifically R1 R2 and R3

Yep I use it for audio cd's too but not very often

I will be using the amps decoder, I presume that is a better idea

Nope I'm not bothered about having a decoder on the dvd player at all, which is why I bought the seperate amp which I think is better. I would like the dvd player I buy have good sound to match up with my amp

It sounds to me like all you need is the very best picture possible for the price and component output with progressive pal/ntsc.

Yep, anything up to £150. I would like the dvd player to match up to my amp too( not the make, I'm not keen on the sony players), so they produce a good solid sound together. (Obviously only using the amps decoder) Surley almost anything can sound better with my amp than my current dvd player.

And have component, progressive pal/ntsc and rgb scart, with the best pic quality possible as you say.

I would also like it to be able to play various files like div-x, mp3 etc....

I'm not sure on the samsung's, I had one start smoking on me once quite scary, however from what you have said and what I've read on it, it doesnt sound too bad.

I'm not too keen on the toshiba's picture unfortunately, and already have 2 different versions of monsters inc. lol

I looked at this link on the pioneer 470 and it dont look too bad at all

http://www.codefreedvd.com/dvd_pioneer470.htm

Cant see that much difference from the 575

Basicly I dont mind what make I get, as long as richer sounds has it. The cheaper is always the better, but I'm prepared to pay up to £150 as long as it has what I want and does what I want

The MUST have would be:

coaxal out for dolby digital and dts (coaxal cos I think it's better than optical)
    Multi-region (region free)
    component out
    s-video out
    progressive scan pal and ntsc
    rgb scart
    Div x
    Mp3
    WMA
    dvd
    dvd-r +r -rw +rw and the cd variations

And the best possible picture for tv and lcd projector (panny ae200e)
    And the best possible sound for decoding to be done by my sony str de697 av receiver set up for 7.1 from tomorrow

I would be happy with these requirements.

Thanks once again for all your advice and I'm sorry that I need more. I'm going to go out and buy one tomorrow from richer sounds, so I just need all the advice and knowledge I can get before about 9am in the morning.(not that I'm on here all night :) )

Sorry dont mean to annoy or bother anyone too much

Cheers

tris

22. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    I need any infomation about various dvd players before tomorrow morning, please advise me before 9am

Thank you very much

tris

23. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
  24. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    Oh dear you do like that limit dont you

Yes just read it, and read up some full reviews on it seems quite a good little player. Shame it doesnt have a s-video output too but does seem quite good.

Almost got a nice collection to choose from please keep 'em coming

thanks

tris

25. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    Is the toshiba SD-240E picture and sound quality any good by any chance???

Need more information and advice before 9am please. g'night

cheers

tris

26. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    If you want DVD Audio support you need 5.1 pinouts. The rest of the spec you want seems to be a direct hit on the Pioneer 575 too. You don't like Samsung and Richer Sounds don't appear to have them anyway. Really its got to be the 575.

The Pioneer 575 is basically an all chinese design. Its build quality isn't as good as some past Pioneers but its versatility is much better. There have been reports that the Pioneer 575 is a very noisy player in operation making buzzing and drive whirring noises. Audio output from its own decoders using the 5.1 pinouts probably won't be much better if at all than most budget chinese dvd players you see on the high street. The picture quality should be superb. I personally think its your best option but I would say two things. Use the Sony's decoders for everything except DVD Audio and SACD output and buy Region 1 dvds from now on instead of Region 2.

If Richer Sounds does have the Samsung DVD-HD945 try and get the staff to demonstrate both models to you.

27. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    Ok guys, thanks for all the advise.

I'll let you know what I have gone for when I get back later (yawn) , mornings arn't pretty. (bwight light, bwight light)

I'll try to get richer sounds to demo a couple of dvd players for me and go from there.

Thanks again

tris

28. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    I got a Limit 9900se in the end (Bet this pleases sigs, I got a limit) seems to have the same specs and features that the 900 has but a different model?? weird.

Any way it has great sound decoded through my amp for movies and cds, also has all the connections inc. progressive pal/ntsc and a really good picture.

And to top it all off it was in the managers bargains section, still brand new and multiregion (with use of a hack), macrovision disabled available if you wish. All for £29.99 which I thought was quite a bargain.

Cheers guys for all the advice

tris

I also got a couple of new speakers while I was at it for the rear back L&R and a sub (look at my thread i the speakers part of the forum for info)

29. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Sounds like you got yourself a bargin :smashin:

30. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    Yep, I hope it lasts for a while too, that would be great. I have read some bad things about it, so I hope not to expierence any of those problems

cheers

tris