Please help; Budget floor standers needed

slim01

Hey guys.

Need some help finding some decent quality ultra bargain floor standers after my soundcard ruined my KEF's... I literally cried.
Looking mainly for second hand deals as I'm aware my budget is likely to get me garbage compared to what I had... Having said that, I did see these (5*WhatHi-Fi)???
MISSION MX3iBlack Speakers Per Pair

Just looking for something descent quality, nothing abused and no cheap & nasties (eg post RicherSounds Mordaunt Shorts).
In no rush but will jump on a deal. Currently attempting a Q15 bookshelf - Q55 transplant!

*Anyone who wants to message saying
"You won't get anything descent for that money" Please comment elsewhere!!!*
My q55's were about £150 and were perfect, I've sold near mint TDL RTL-3's for less and even seen q65.2's go for £100 on ebay.

BUDGET...
-Up to £150 max inc del (I can get for delivery for around £25).
-IF something special comes up I could perhaps loan £50.

CONDITION/AGE/STYLING...
-Looks are important, my favorite piece of furniture sits on a pedestal.
-Age does not bother me but I don't like retro looking speakers.
-No dings, dents on front casing, however the odd honest scratch on a driver is ok as sometimes makes a total bargain (if drivers can be sourced cheaply enough).

SOUND...
-Listen to everything from Trance - classical but mainly chillout, house, reggae and dance music.
-Also use (secondarily) as main for movies/games.
-To give you an idea of my expectations I'm not too fussy, but bass MUST be present as don't use a sub (sold my KEF sub as Q55's already deep/loud enough, found adjusting for music/films annoying and I don't have the space).
-Have listened to several of KEFs iQ series and although look stunning they were nowhere near bassy enough for me.
-Have found my Uni-Q's to fill both my small bedroom and medium living room, so something similar.

So what do you recommend guys? Know of any gems that are famous for showing up online?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

slim01

Just rang a guy about some AE109. £100 delivered. Loads in FleaBay and Reviews sound great but they do look a little old school...

Been chatting to one guy (seems to know th hi-fi market well) and he said he could do me some AE Linear 3's for £80 delivered. Any thought on these? Were £500 way back when.

gibbsy

I take it you are just looking for a pair of floorstanders for a stereo soundstage? Although you may be able to get fairly good speakers second hand within your budget, unless you can see and hear them it could be a risk. Saying that I have sold speakers to members on here who have been very happy, but looking on evil bay, meh.

As for the Missions from RS you will be getting brand new and with an excellent gurantee period from a good retailer. You could also audition them with your own amp. It may be worth telephoning a few independent retailers for open box or ex-demo stock, some may even have good speakers that they have taken in in part exchange.

ashenfie

I would say with your limited budget bookshelf speakers would be better than floorstanders.

You could purchase something like the wharfeldate diamond 220's for that kind of money and they would be new.

Just my 10c

slim01

I take it you are just looking for a pair of floorstanders for a stereo soundstage? Although you may be able to get fairly good speakers second hand within your budget, unless you can see and hear them it could be a risk. Saying that I have sold speakers to members on here who have been very happy, but looking on evil bay, meh.

As for the Missions from RS you will be getting brand new and with an excellent gurantee period from a good retailer. You could also audition them with your own amp. It may be worth telephoning a few independent retailers for open box or ex-demo stock, some may even have good speakers that they have taken in in part exchange.
Don't mind taking a risk as long as I've had a good deal I can always sell on, plus i'm not that fussy anyway, unless regarding bass.
However, buying new as you say give you the guarantee, spoke to richer sounds and they said they would demo for me...

To throw another spanner in the works I've just spoken to kef regarding repairing the q55's (absolutely AMAZING customer service btw), and they said a similar speaker to them is the q500 and q700 (the q55's sit somewhere inbetween these) solooking at those now.
Can pay the £150 for my budget then get the rest on finance... eek... they look so good... dam kefs making me go over budget lol

slim01

I would say with your limited budget bookshelf speakers would be better than floorstanders.

You could purchase something like the wharfeldate diamond 220's for that kind of money and they would be new.

Just my 10c
Cheers dude but deffo wouldn't have bookshelves as there would be nowhere near enough bass (I dont use a sub atm) plus i'd have to factor in the cost of stands etc, and I already have some amazing Q15's just in need of a tweeter which I'm pretty sure the Wharfdale Diamonds would be poor in comparison to the Kefs woudln't they??? (Not heard the wharfdales but hear they are a good budget speaker).
This is why i'm looking second hand, would like new but don't feel like downgrading so used maybe the way to go... Maybe the q500's for £350 (with £200 on finance) is my best option to go new, I'm just not sure theyll be bassy enough... Esp with no front bass port, as mine are 15cm from wall.

unless you know some other great speakers in the £150-£350 range I could look at buying new?

gibbsy

I didn't mention the KEF Q500s as they were originally outside of your budget. They are good value now as they are being quite heavily discounted because of a new model on the horizon. Certainly better value than the Missions.

slim01

Yeah well I didn't even think of credit through pete tyson or superfi, actually not bad on interest, no interest at all if paid within like 5 months, so that's only £40 a month.
Have you heard them then gibbsy? I'mabsolutely dying to try some but no1 bloody has them now... gonna ring tysons and see if their refund policy applied with no fees if doing finance... least then ill get to try them
Any other sub £350 speakers you know of that are a bargain?

slim01

Might sell this onkyo 508 and my other 705, use the £100 or so to pay off something proper I get on finance with the kefs if i get em, something more in the 150w range. Good idea?

gibbsy

I went into my local RS and there was a pair of Q500s playing in the showroom area. They seemed to fill it well enough, certainly well enough for the people listening to buy them. I didn't take that much notice as I was there picking up a blu ray player. They are well thought of, as is much of the Q range. Here's a link to a fair review:
KEF Q500 Loudspeaker

slim01

Cheers guys. Those missions would be well up to the job i think but no stock there. Spoken to the guys at superfi today, theyre gonna give me a call back as I asked to make sure id be able to return them if i wasnt happy with bass even if I do finance... knowing finance companies they wont let me... we shall see. If they can, think I'm gonna give them a go, they seem popular enough.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Someone has already mentioned the Mission MX5 at £250, but you can get the Mission MX4 for only £179 from Superfi -

Mission MX4 B-Grade Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

I would guess any of the Mission MX series at these new discounted prices would be a real bargain in a well rated speaker.

The MX4 listed above are B-Stock, but standard MX4 from Superfi are only £229/pr. Still a good price considering the £500/pr Retail Price on the speakers.

The problem is, at that low price, there really isn't much to choose from in either a Bookshelf or Floorstanding speaker. In floorstanding, you need to be closer to £500/pr and in bookshelf probably in the range of £250/pr.

Though those Mission speakers, despite the low price are in the roughly £500/pr range based on suggested retail price.

I suspect what were are seeing with the Mission prices, other than B-Stock, is that these speaker have reached the End of Line. That is, they are about to be discontinued, and dealers are closing out remaining Stock. That's fine. That is a great opportunity to find real bargain on high quality speakers.

I suspect the MX3 have 2x5"(130mm) bass drivers, and the MX4 have 2x6.5" (165mm) bass drivers, and the MX5 while still having 2x165mm bass driver have the addition of another 165mm Mid Driver.

In all honesty, at those prices, and given the suggested Retail, I'm not sure you can do better for that small about of budget.

Now, double or triple your budget, and we have a whole new ballgame.

Steve/bluewizard

slim01

Was going to say now I've repaired the Kefs an am just gonna get an amp, but just headed over there and I think I completely agree with you dude, the MX4's (or MX5's for an extra £30 (b-stock)) are VERY tempting. Thanks for pointing me there..

But... Three things are making me think I should keep the Kefs...
1) They are F**cking HUGE... The Mx5's are monsters - H100 x W25 x D39!! I'm not even sure the Mx4's will have room to breath in my bedroom.

2) Not magnetically shielded - These are going to be sitting right next to a HTPC, plus backup hdd... No idea why mission dont do it... Something tells me this is still bad in 2017.

Wasn't too sure on the looks originally, thought the silver plastic looked a bit tacky but it's really grown on me.
Don't wanna leave KEF but tbf from what I've read on whathi-fi the MX's seem to be right up my street; bassy, punchy and very very loud. Also easy to drive, great as my amp is weak.

-I'm demoing the MX3's in an hour so will be able to judge looks and also clarity of those tweeters (they all use the same?), I'm sure they won't be bassy enough though.

Any1 got experience of how bad/good the B grade stock is? Bit of pot-luck if you get the odd nick compared to massive dent? They say I must pay for returns if I don't like or are unhappy with them.

Only issue here is the centre is quite small, ***
Looking at a perfectly sized 70c2 centre for my TV to go on top of as well, but the recommend watts is 20? That seems a bit pathetic...

slim01

Gonna measure my room now, see if the mx4's will even fit... They will be cramped for sure though

Shimrod

2) Not magnetically shielded - These are going to be sitting right next to a HTPC, plus backup hdd... No idea why mission dont do it... Something tells me this is still bad in 2017.

I believe most modern speakers have forgone magnetic shielding. It's not required for LCD/Plasma displays which most people have - it was a requirement from when the magnetic field from the speaker could affect the TV display in a CRT (which used magnets to direct the beam).

slim01

Yeah not bothered about screens, my issue lies with the HTPC. I repair computers and haven't even seen a CRT for like maybe 5 years now. Do they even still make them?

Trouble is magnets are known to (and have personally seen) the destruction they cause on hard drives, however I'm not naive enough to think that applies to ALL magnets.
I think I read something in IT A levels saying "constant" or "0" rated magnets are not likely to cause issues... Cannot remember the details on the tech so can't comment much more than that.
I'd have to read something very convincing to not have peace of mind my data is safe. Even my backup HDD will be near these monster magnets, and corrupt data is often not noticed until it's accessed for some reason - E.g restoring a backup or copying a folder and 100's of error messages come up.

Distance from magnet to HDD will be about 50-60cm, so I'd be looking for a source mentioning that minimum as safe I guess.

EDIT - Seems your're right though Shimrod; most speakers I've just looked at do not include it, I wonder if it affects sound quality in some way? More than likely though, just to keep production costs down :(

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom