1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help! Brand new LCD DVI problem! Thanx

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by big-mac-please, Aug 28, 2005.

1. big-mac-please

big-mac-please

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello all this is my first post :hiya:

Today I purchased an LG 32LX2R and have been trying to get my mac mini to work with it via DVI but I'm having problems.

I have been using the mac mini via vga on a normal lcd 15" and when I plug in the lcd with a DVI cable the screen just says "power saving mode" and goes black.

If i unplug the cable it then says "no input".

I've tried the VGA to DVI and that doesn't work either?

I don't know what to do and I really wana get this working as one of the main reasons for this TV is to use with my mac mini!!

Any help is welcome!

Thanx :D
    BigMac

2. pryce3

pryce3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your mac mini's DVI is probably set to analogue if you've been using it with a 15pin D-Sub connector(VGA), my guess is the DVI on your new TV is a DVI-D and therefore will only accept a digital input so try changing the mac minis display settings, by clicking on the apple in the top left corner and selecting system preferences and then click displays and change the settings.

3. big-mac-please

big-mac-please

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanx for the reply I'm desperado here!

I can't find a setting for changing the type of out put. I found a program that says it automaticly detects new display settings and I installed it and restarted and the TV did the same thing and when I re connected my normal display the display label was LG32LX2R and it was set at the TVs res so it must be seeing it ok?

I'm stumped and annyed :(

Please any help is welcome!

Thanx

4. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    If you google the problem you will see your not the only one haveing problems with there mac vga and dvi outputs.

5. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
  6. big-mac-please

big-mac-please

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanx for that apple mac display forum!!! Much appreciated! :)

I've not had much luck with google for the problem but I have seen others have had the problem.

Its so anoyin as it worked on the other LG lcd straight off!

Any other people have an idea?

Thanx again :)

7. big-mac-please

big-mac-please

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    To add an update!

I tried my normal VGA cable and at one end I put the apple VGA to DVI adapter and at the other end I put the one from my PC graphics card. I turned on the mac mini and nothing. Still the same.

I also tried using two other DVI-D cables and they didn't work neither did a DVI to VGA cable work unles I connect it to the 15" monitor first and then it works.

I have found this in my instruction book and I think my mini is putting out DVI-I all the time and not DVI-D:

What do you think?

Thanx again for the help !!!!

8. Moogrose

Moogrose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm pretty sure the dvi on this set takes both digital and analouge... is the dvi on the tv set to pc? - otherwise perhpas try contacting "amorenod" (i know he has the same set as he is extremely helpful...) or posting your question on the lg 26lx2r thread...

9. big-mac-please

big-mac-please

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The DVI on the set does say DVI PC and in the instructions it says so.

I'll see if I can contact him.

Thanx :)

10. amorenod

amorenod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Unfortunately, I'm a total noob where a Mac is involved. Which connections are available in a mini? Which resolution is selected in the mac? After all the max resolution of this screen is 1366x768 (my 17" lcd max res is 1280x1024), maybe trying a lower resolution first will do.

I can confirm the Dsub-DVI works with my PC, so it works with analog signals. However, the first time I tried the Dreamcast with a VGA box, the TV went into Power Saving mode for about 15 seconds before getting any output, it's worth a try to boot the mac and leave it for a while.

The last resort is the HDMI input, but let's hope it's not needed.

11. big-mac-please

big-mac-please

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello and thanks for the speedy reply amorenod! The mac mini has one DVI output and is supplied with a DVI - VGA adapter for people without DVI.

I have tried setting the res to 800*600 and that made no difference as the display just goes ino powersaving mode.

I've not tried leaving it for a period of time to see if it comes out of it? Might be an idea.

I don't really want to have to do DVI-HDMI as I want to use the HDMI for Sky HD next year.

I'm thinking about bringing my PC into try and see if it works with that just as a test.

Thanx for the help.

12. amorenod

amorenod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Eeeeeek

Just read some of the topics in the forum Peahead suggested, and some of the solutions involve resetting video memory at startup or connecting to the mini via VNC.

EDIT

If the PC works, you should try this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300583

13. bignige

bignige

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My Mac Mini works perfectly with DVI & VGA and this is with an ASDA LCD 26" Dual!
    As for resetting the VRAM and PRAM, you need to hold all 4 keys (V R A M keys for vram, P R A M keys for pram) down on startup until the computer chimes 4 times, then let it restart. Can you try the dvi cable with the mac mini and another monitor?

14. big-mac-please

big-mac-please

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ok I have an update :)

The LCD worked straight away with my pc with no problems at all using a VGA to DVI cable. I couldn't try DVI to DVI as my pc graphics cards el cheapo!

I've updated the ATI drivers on the mini and I left it on for a bit when the LCD said power saving mode and nothing happened.

I've not tried the resetting of those memorys yet but that will have to be the next step tomorrow.

The mini works using DVI with another monitor so I hope the resetting of the memories works or I will have to for ever leave my mini on.

Just a little OT but I watched some HD preview content when I had my PC connected and it looked fantastic!!! heehee roll on sky HD! :clap:

Cheers for your continued help!

15. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Unplug everything, power everything off and reconnect/power up in a different order - try different permutations. Digital connectors can be very fickle as to what order things are powered up and connected. Make sure that the source is outputting at a resolution and timing that the display manufacturers have published as being accepted. Remember, if you are using HDMI, it is a video centric connector - it may not accept any/many PC resolutions and timings. Do not change this until you have got basic connectivity working.

16. big-mac-please

big-mac-please

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello al :D

I've tried resetting the VRAM and PRAM but theres no difference :(

I'm not sure what to do now really. I think maybe I might try giving apple a call and see what they say.