Question Please Help! Best Av unit For £500

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Lorchan, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Lorchan

Lorchan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Guys

Currently have Onkyo 636 and now on the look out for new Av unit was just wondering what would uses recommend Onkyo, Denon or Yamaha?

I have round £500 to spend would use the unit to listen to music and watch movies. I currently have Dail Zenor 3 front right and left Dail Centre and Monitor Audio BX2's at the rears. Im looking to upgrade my current set up but don't know where to start? As I listen to music a lot thinking of upgrading Av unit to Start?

Have also considered upgrading TV currently have Panasonic GT60 42" which I love, is it worth exploring for new Tv instead?

Whats my best option?

Again Many thanks

2. peter-d-w

peter-d-w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    The new sound formats (Atmos & DTS X) are great if you like movies too? However that would need an extra pair of speakers too. However you could use your system without the extra speakers for now and you would have some future proofing. You can find the Denon AVR X3200W for sale at £549 if you shop around. I would also recommend the Yamaha RXA-1050 but this may be a little outside your price range. Phone around for some quotes because some companies don't advertise their best prices on line. These amps are great for music too but have a listen first if you can.

3. Lorchan

Lorchan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for your input will take a look at both these amps! I see Pioneer are bring out new range at the end of the month! Spec looks good do you think it is worth holding off?

Richer Sounds

If I was to maybe looking to upgrade my front three Dails (Zenor 3's with Dail Centre) would the Monitor Audio Bronze be a worthy upgrade?

Are even these?

Richer Sounds

Again many thanks

4. peter-d-w

peter-d-w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    You may find it more difficult to get a discount off the Pioneers simply because they are new. However, the spec. of the VSX1131 you have linked to looks good and seems to offer good value.
    I would recommend you upgrade one thing at a time, your Dali s are good speakers anyway, you might be better buying your amp and a pair of Speakers to use as Heights or Overheads for Atmos/DTS X first.
    Da

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  5. Longy00000

Longy00000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    I think both Marantz and yamaha are more musical than denon so depends on how much you want to bias music over movies?
    As said zensor 3 are a decent speaker so I would concentrate on your amp first then tv then speakers unless just getting extra 2 for atmos. Not sure MA bronze that much of upgrade on your zensor probably need to look further up ranges to get a sizeable improvement but that starts costing money hence why to concentrate on your amp for now.

6. Lorchan

Lorchan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the the input guys!

Currently have Onkyo 636 will take a look at the Yamaha range. Are uses aware of any need new Amps been released in the coming future.

Looked at the Yamaha 1050 it would be a bit over my budget there is the Yamaha

Richer Sounds

Any opinions on this dude

Thanks

PS as for speakers any suggestion was thinking of set of MR6 floorstanders for rears to replace current BX2 at the back.

7. peter-d-w

peter-d-w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    You could put a wanted ad in the Classified section of this forum for a Yamaha 1050....

8. Longy00000

Longy00000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    That's a decent enough amp but it doesn't have atmos or Dts x and I think if your upgrading and modernising I think you need them for the future. Yam are launching their new range very soon and I think they will have these decoders but will be full price for a while as they are new. The denon though do have them on board already. It's a tough one so you probably need to identify the priority of your spending and budgets. You mention another set of speakers...do you really need or want new speakers? Just thinking if you have excess budget could that go towards your amp now see how you get on with the zensor and if still not happy do a full speaker upgrade later?
    The other choice is to buy a bundle...many retailers will sell receivers and speakers together with a really good discount but that also means buying both together now wich means spending more money.
    Nov last year I upgraded my amp and decided to put all my spends just in the amp...got yam 2050 and it's excellent but...yes but..it showed the weakness in my speakers quite quickly so I upgraded them last month. My old speakers weren't as good as zensor 3 though.

9. Lorchan

Lorchan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think I could hold out to the new Yamaha range comes out in June. I might purchase a pair of the Onkyo Atmos speakers for £129 and put them away. Just trying to gather few things up and upgrade my current home cinema system. Have been advised by the guys in Richer sounds so new to all this.

I'm currently still watching movies on a Panasonic GT60 42 which is now a couple of years old think it's plasma. Is it the right time to consider 4K is there enough material and movies?

If you don't mind what speakers would you consider an upgrade over the Dails 3?

In terms of speaker cable and HDMI leads might change them currently looking at the Audioquest pearl leads.
    And using Qed sliver for the speakers.

Again many thanks

10. peter-d-w

peter-d-w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Don't bother buying expensive HDMI leads, you won't see or hear a difference. I wouldn't bother investing in new speaker cables either until you have your new AVR and possibly new speakers. The money that you save would be better invested in the AVR, Speakers and TV.
    Why do you want to upgrade your Dali 3s? Do you have a sub?
    There is plenty of 4K material available, it can be streamed from Netflix and Amazon Prime and UHD Blu Ray players are just becoming available to buy. There is a premium price to pay for 4K of course.

11. Lorchan

Lorchan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The Dail's are great speaker but just wondering if there is currently new model or better available. I'm currently using a Monitor Audio MR10 Sub which is doing its job great.

I'm big music fan and would use the AV unit to listen to music with a lot of bass. I currently have Netflix on Apple TV which is great.

I have been reading and there are a lot of new AV Units been released in next few months it's just hard know what to go and best value for money. I think for Music and Movies Yamaha seem to be hard to go pass! I have had nothing it issues with my Onkyo which has put me off that brand. I would use my AV daily for music round 2 - 4 hours.

Have a set of BX2's that I'm using as rears and was thinking of adding Floorstanders to as I have space for them at the back but need bookshelf for fronts as space limited?

Reviewing the following on richer sounds?

Richer Sounds

Richer Sounds

Richer Sounds

Or would it be worth adding another pair of
    Dail 3 or 1 to the rear?

12. peter-d-w

peter-d-w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I still think that you would be better off buying a new AVR and Front Height Speakers and then seeing what you think of your system before buying anything else. Atmos and DTS X make a huge difference. I think you will be amazed how good your existing speakers can sound.

13. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,061
    Nothing wrong with your current speakers, go for a receiver upgrade, that's where improvements and new technology are forging ahead. A good speaker will always be a good speaker. When you ask about receivers people, including me, will point you towards their favourite brands, mine is Denon, so in your price range I'd go for the X3200W.

Anyway. Happy hunting.:smashin:

14. Lorchan

Lorchan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks guys!

15. Lorchan

Lorchan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Have been reading about the Denon and they are getting good reviews! I think I'm going to go for the Denon X3200 currently 600 in richer sounds

And get a pair of Onkyo Atmos speakers! Do you guys know if Netflix steams Atmos and DTS-X material?

Is Denon due to release a 2016 range? I'm using Tidal to stream music from Laptop connected to AV unit via HDMI is this the best method

Many thanks

16. peter-d-w

peter-d-w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Streaming, Online, and Broadcast Content
    Dolby says that Netflix does stream Atmos material but I haven't seen any myself.
    Tidal is good but isn't it very expensive? Spotify or Plex are other options to look at which may be cheaper or even free.

17. Longy00000

Longy00000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    I don't think Netflix streaming does allow for atmos just 4k but I could be wrong on that. Does having floorstanders as rears and book shelfs up front sound ok as it suggest it could be out of balance somewhat? Not criticising just never heard a system in that configuration. Def invest your money in an amp first and get the best you can afford. As said already hdmi cable are hdmi cables so don't replace any yet unless they give you trouble. Same with speaker cable don't change it till you got new amp and you can see how it's working. The denon range certainly offer bang for buck but given your unusual layout coukd you stretch to a 4200 as I think the audessy xt32 room correction could be beneficial for you. Also the online traders can often do good deals if you ring them so get onto the 4200 owners thread and see what people been paying you maybe surprised.

18. Longy00000

Longy00000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Just spotted your ref to tidal so given you subscribe to a high def music service maybe a marantz might suit you better than denon. It's perhaps more musical than the denon and the 6010 is ball park money wise while still giving xt32.
    Read a few owners threads for a feel for each brands strengths and weaknesses.

19. Littlemike

Littlemike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If you're thinking of spending 600 on the Denon for another 50 you could get the Yamaha 1050 from Creative audio in Shrewsbury.

20. peter-d-w

peter-d-w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I would second that. I am really pleased with my Yamaha!

21. Lorchan

Lorchan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If it was between the Yamaha 1050 and the Denon 4200 which would be best? I am aware Yamaha bring new range to the market in June 16 do you think there is going to be major improvements? in relation to sound quality?

Have been using Tidal as music source connected to av unit via HDMI is this the best method my current amp Onkyo 636 doesn't have airplay

cheers guys

22. Longy00000

Longy00000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Between 4200 and 1050 I would go 1050 everytime. Better build quality and better dsu Dts x integration. Yamaha genral ly regarded as more musical too. The 1050 isn't due for replacement till the autumn as it's from their top tier aventage range.
    Tbh I didn't realise you could get the 1050 for £650 now thats a real good price. It's the yamaha rx series ( below than aventage range) that's replaced in time for summer. Aventage usually about 3 months or so later.
    I don't have tidal but I should imagine hdmi is probably best way to connect. I use spotify I found it easier to navigate and live with for someone of my years !

23. Littlemike

Littlemike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sorry my mistake, they're 750.

24. Lorchan

Lorchan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks! Might call in to Richer sounds today and see if they could match that price. There currently looking round 900!

I think from the reviews and build quality Yamaha is the way forward with the 1050, there is also the 850 I think that gets good reviews but hasn't XT32

I'm big music guy and was thinking of getting hifi but would like good all in one if I'm honest as haven't room for more speakers !

Might even see if there are deals may bank holiday!

25. Longy00000

Longy00000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Ypao is yamaha equivalent of the audessy arrangements. If you can demo yamaha denon marantz pioneer then all the better ad that's always best if possible. RS don't tend to carry many yamaha aventage series they shift more of the RX series but audiovisual online and creative audio do seem to sell plenty but they can usually give a better price on phone

26. Lorchan

Lorchan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Any views on the RX850? What hifi rated 5 stars?

Thanks guys

27. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,355

The Yamaha RXA1050 has both Atmos and DTS:X. Yamaha are indeed releasing new models in may, but these are replacements for the lower tier RXV range. Yamaha should be replacing their Adventage range receivers later in the year. Note that you'll be paying a premium for the newer models when compared to the prices being asked for the models they'll replace. You'd not get a Yamaha model comparable to the RXA1050 if buying one of this year's models and you'd not really benefit from buying the RXA1050's replacement.

Note that all current models below the RXA1050 lack DTS:X and only models above the RXA850 include it. THe new RXV581 and above will however include it and Atmos.

The Denon AVRX4200 has a few features absent from the Yamaha RXA1050 such as three HDMI output (2 mirrored and one second zone output) compared to the Yamaha's 2 (one main and a second HDMI zone output). While both receivers are 7 channel, the DEnon can process up to 9 channels simultaneously which does facilitate it running an Atmos 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 setup if you add an external 2 channel amp. The Denon receiver also lacks older processing such as the Pro Logic variants and DTS Neo which are replaced with Dolby Surround and DTS Neural:X. The Yamaha includes both the older surround decoder modes as well as the new ones. The build quality associated with the Yamaha is slighly superior to that of the Denon. The Yamaha has a very neat feature called MusicCast.

The Dali Zensor speakers are comparable if not slighly better than the Monitor Audio BX or MR range. I'd not be concerned about replacing them because they are still good speakers and better than what you propose replacing them with.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  28. Lorchan

Lorchan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The 1050 and 850 are same price! Denon is cheaper for the 4200?

What do you think?

29. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,355
    Yeah, I'd not bother looking at the 850. It is a lesser receiver than the better equipped 1050 which is not only able to handle DTS:X, but includes higher grade capacitors and superior DACs to those employed within the 850. There's not really a big enough difference in price to warrant buying the 850 over the 1050. You'll be able to buy the AVRX4200 for less, but as I said, it isn't as well built as the Yamaha. I think this is why the Yamaha manages to retain its price over the Denon despite the ability to add another 2 channels of external amplification with the Denon?

You can pick up the RXA1050 for about £900, the RXA850 for £875 and the AVRX4200 for about £780.

I've been faced with much the same dilemma recently and I've decided upon the RXA1050. I'd not totally discount the AVRX4200, but in my mind the Yamaha is a better receiver.

The other option I looked at was the Marantz SR6010, but this is too similar to the Denon with less power and a few of the features missing. The £650 Marantz would be closer your original budget though.

30. marathonic

marathonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74