1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help before I go mad....

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Matt F, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ever since I've been using broadband, my PC crashes for no apparent reason. It either goes blank and re-boots or locks up for a few seconds before going blank and re-booting.

If I was using it all day (which, thankfully I'm not) then I'd estimate that it would crash at least 5 times. This, as you can imagine, is quite annoying.

The machine is getting on a bit now (IBM Aptiva, 333 processor) but I've upped the memory to 256mb (it was only 64mb) in an attempt to cure the problem. It didn't work.

I've tried the various other tricks - defrag etc. but it still crashes.

Can anyone help.

Thank you very much.

Matt.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    If this is since broadband, it's a prog. that is accessing the internet causing the trouble, I think. Get yourself a firewall, if you haven't already, and it should tell you what is active at any time, and what programs have access. It could be a virus of some sort, but the dangers are a little overrated. Most don't eat your computer alive, just breed like rabbits. The other possibility is if you've installed a network card, or USB modem or network adapter, and this is causing problems. More details will help, OS, broadband supplier, connection method.

3. ajbird

ajbird
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    we are going to need more info =

in the mean time - if you connected to modem via usb swap to network card or vice versa - i had a right nightmare with my usb drivers - very unstable

network card tchnology much more reliable when it comes to networking (err stands to reason i supose)

andy

4. Braedan

Braedan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try changing the NIC drivers and/or card.

some NICs don't like broadband. the best ones out there are the intel 10/100 PCI NICs, nowadays they can be bought for around $5 at computer recycling places.

other good ones are the linksys and D-link cards.